Wednesday, March 16, 2022

A Glow on the Horizon

Ever since Danica started to work part-time at the grocery store, I have sometimes been her taxi, or I guess her Uber in this day and age. While some of the requests are irregular, every second Sunday morning has become a routine. That’s her main shift: from 7 until 3 on Sunday. She also usually has a Tuesday afternoon and evening shift. Keeping the shifts down to a reasonable number was a condition from her parents for her taking the job.

The kids are at Mom’s on alternate weekends. On those weekends, I have been picking Danica up at 6:45 for her 7 o’clock shift. I don’t mind. In fact, it helps me to feel useful.

To be on the safe side, I set three alarms: watch, phone, and Alexa to get me up at 6 o'clock. I have never needed one.

On this past, time-change Sunday, I thought I might finally require the help of those devices, but Lacey and bladder provided sufficient impetus for me to arise. Would I have been able to get back to sleep if I hadn’t had to get the girl? It's possible but doubtful, for being able to go back for another hour of sweet repose is a very infrequent occurrence.

It wasn’t my scheduled week to drive her to work, for it was to be her dad’s weekend, but he and Jonathan were still out of town for a hockey tournament. So yes, of course I would be glad to assist once again.

There was almost a last-minute hitch. Our neighbour had asked if he could park in our driveway on Saturday night. Of course, he could. Then, the request came from Danica, and of course I would do that too. 

I didn’t put the two events together in my head until later. So, at the last minute on Saturday night, I informed the neighbour that he needed to move his car out by 6:30. He managed, but I had been concerned that he would sleep in. When I asked if he had remembered the time change, he responded that his phone would take care of the issue.

So, here’s the part that I want to get to. There was a pre-sunrise glow on the horizon when I was driving Danica along the highway, which more or less faces east. I don’t remember seeing that glow on previous Sundays, but I saw it this time, despite us being a whole hour earlier. Spring is coming.

Before I leave off, it strikes me that some may be wondering why I drive her. “Where is Mom?” you may ask. It’s because I am invariably up anyway, and Mom works hard and, unlike me, has the ability to sleep in. So, I fulfill two helpful functions. I get Danica to work and allow Shauna to sleep in. It’s a small contribution when I am not particularly in a contributory phase of life.

21 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

A great Dad & GrandDad you are ... families, we all pitch in where we can :)

Jeanie said...

I love this -- it's a wonderful way for some extra bonding time, too -- which in her later years I suspect she will never forget. You are a good man.

DJan said...

I didn't have my usual difficulty with the time change, but it's not my favorite time of the year. I hate to lose sleep through no fault of my own. :-)

Barbara Rogers said...

Good for you...though the alarm is always something that seeps into my sleep...is it time yet? Somehow it disturbs my slumber just knowing it's set. I do like the sound that I currently have ringing at a very low volume, which actually did go off the last time. Tomorrow I have an appointment at 8 am in town...which means wee hours of getting up and driving through rain that's due for the whole day.

NGS said...

Awwww...you set three alarms even though you don't need them. That's so endearing! How lovely you are to help out!

Marcia said...

Why you do it? TO be a good dad and Grandfather, of course.

Karen said...

I would love to have that bonding time with my grandaughter of the same age.

Margaret said...

That is wonderful that you drive her and a perfect way for you, as an Early Bird, to help out Plus, it's nice to spend the time in the car together. I loved those chats while I was taking the daughters to gym, dance or other activities.

Rita said...

It is always good to feel useful...and it gives you time with that precious granddaughter, too. :)

Elizabeth Varadan, Author said...

It's a nice way to spend time with your granddaughter. I imagine you have some great conversations.

Mage said...

I like that contribution. Is she liking the job?

William Kendall said...

Good of you to do.

Vicki Lane said...

Being useful is important to me too as I get older and older.

MARY G said...

Do you really have no idea? You have been a huge asset to those kids since they were toddlers. Sleepovers, school bus transfers, games, sneaky meals out with an evil menu, photographer of all events, champion aged sledders, and more, much more.
And you are so lucky to be close enough to do all this. I got some of it, as I was the backup when the grandkid could not go to daycare, but we are an hour away and so had fewer just quick visits in the moment, the way you always have been there for them.
That glow on the horizon was not your halo, but could have been, eh?
Just on topic, I note that the States may go permanent Daylight Savings. Bring it on!!! If they do, Ontario is poised to follow. No more clock resetting. No more meal times feeling off. Yeah.
It is dripping out there as I write. Yes!!!

Red said...

Being the taxi driver also gives you a great opportunity for some great time with Danica.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Oldest son in high school worked as bagger at a store. I know there not called bagger now.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Blondi Blathers said...

Typical doting grandpa! You're very kind to do what is essentially a large favour that makes a big difference to your daughter. Good on ya. -Kate

Rita said...

Yes, can absolutely be so different from year to year. We are in a melting stage right now. 40s! :)

troutbirder said...

It's been a while due to some health issues that often pop up at age 80 getting back into blogging a bit again allowed me to read some of your recent you may remember my wife of 57 years passed away a few months before the Covid appeared so I had to learn how to shelter in place and live alone. Now with the best of luck I have girlfriend and after a month's vacation in Hawaii we just returned to freezing temperatures and snow here in Minnesota. At least I'll be able to post a few things on my adventure blog Ray/Troutbirder

Kay said...

I think what you're doing is wonderful. You're being the best sort of granddad. It's hard to believe Danica is now old enough to have a job. I still remember her as a little girl.

Jenn Jilks said...

It is lovely to help out with grandies, isn't it? Very rewarding. I miss ours.
The kids are in Florida, and having a blast at Universal Studios. I'm not thrilled with it, but it's not my decision.
The trick is wearing masks for two weeks upon return, while the other kids don't need to. There is quite a struggle online, with parents ticked off with the lack of mask rules.