Wednesday, March 30, 2022

My Old Brain has trouble with the New Coffee Maker

We have a new coffee machine. It’s this one → and it works well. It makes single servings of up to 14oz, hot and quickly. I usually just make an 8oz cup, twice each morning.

It is replacing two machines which pretty much broke down simultaneously. Our tassimo machine, which was really Shauna’s old machine, gave up the ghost one recent morning. Seeing as it was second hand already, that it was the time for it to cross that famous coffee ground bridge to the great plantation in the sky  

In addition to the tassimo machine, we also had another machine, our main machine, which would make big pots. However, it was also on its last legs and no longer rendering the coffee very hot. Its flow had also all but reduced to a dribble. This symptomology (of the slow drip) leads me to believe that it was a male machine because that’s kind of consistent with what happens to elderly males — in my experience, that is.

The spiffy new thing works well, and we feel better about not adding plastic pods to the landfill. We don’t even need paper filters with this shiny newfangled thing.

But I have a problem with it, and I don’t know why. In point of fact, I have forgotten to insert the mugs four times, thereby causing the coffee to pour all over the place. The latest occasion was on that recent very early morning (as described in yesterdays post) when I had awoken in some discomfort at 2 o’clock. I actually got the first mug right, but two hours later I forgot the mug for my second pouring — and I do mean pouring.

There is something about the sequence of setting up this machine that causes my brain to feel that I have completed all of the steps when I haven’t, but I can’t figure out why that is the case. When I am in a compos mentis state of mind (it does happen), I look at the machine and wonder why I have this difficulty, and quite frankly, I don’t know.

I admit that from time to time, I would make an error with one of the two other machines. This didn’t occur frequently, and it was usually that I forgot to actually add the coffee to the big machine. But 4x in two weeks with this gadget seems quite ridiculous.

I have always always been an absent-minded, daydreaming sort of person, even as a child. My mind is prone to wandering, and I forget things. This is not new, and I don’t think it presages mental decline although I am pretty darn sure that I am not getting smarter.

Whatever it is about preparing this machine that makes me feel like I have completed all of the steps when I haven’t, I am not sure. But I would like to figure it out and get over it before I pour too many more dollars worth of coffee all over the counter and floor. 

22 comments:

Bess said...

Can you put a large note, say mug just infront of the coffee maker as a reminder. It may help to jog the memory. Bess

Patio Postcards said...

That is a very shining new machine. I was going to suggest the same thing as Bess, maybe a picture of a mug or a sign would help.

Jeanie said...

Sometimes I am really glad I don't drink coffee! One less appliance!

Ed said...

You would think with modern technology and sensors in multitudes of things that won't let you run them until everything is in the correct position, the coffee pot manufacturer could add a sensor so it wouldn't run without a cup in place.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh my! That last step should move into being the first step...make yourself put a mug under the spout before filling. Do you pour water in? Then maybe use mug, then place it in proper place. Do some reverse of the method you've been doing...shake it up. The routine, I mean, not the mug! Another useless suggestion. Aren't us commenters full of them!!

Marcia said...

I was going to suggest the same thing Barbara did above. Make the insertion of the mug your first step especially since you are well aware that's a problem for you to remember - do it first.

Boud said...

That skipped step is deadly. I've done it in other contexts, very annoying.

Karen said...

I too take issue with those dang blasted coffee machines. (When we go to the in-laws that's the only way to make a coffee or a tea, so if no one is available to do it for me, I pass. I have seen my father in law miss the pour on a couple of occasions though,haha) We use a French Press in this house. Works a treat and all we have to do is remember to pour the kettle over once it boils.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Good luck with your dilemma, AC. I thought I was the only one who did things like that.

Shammickite said...

I'm hopeless when it comes to making coffee, its always too strong or like dishwater. So I stick to Maxwell House Instant.

gigi-hawaii said...

David used to do that with his coffee machine. He uses a Keurig.

Marie Smith said...

A shorthand list of instructions to follow helps me.

Margaret said...

As several commenters have already suggested, changing up your routine to putting the mug in there first might help. I have a nearly 30 year old Krups and still sometimes forget to put water in the reservoir or I put double. That was funny about the old coffee machine being male. :)

DJan said...

With the price of coffee these days, I'm thinking that you'll get this figured out before going too far into debt! :-)

DrumMajor said...

Yep, label your drinking mug #1, label the water fill mug #2? I really chuckled with your genderizing the machine. Your new one must be a young female? Linda in Kansas

MARY G said...

It's a pattern of activity that you did with the old machines that you are replicating, somehow, without the cup step. I have one that causes me to leave my purse behind if I first pick up a parcel with handles on it. The cure in my case is a vigilant spouse. For you I would recommend a post it note with MUG written on it pasted just above the machine. Just until you form a new behaviour pattern.
Looks like a fine machine ... what is it? I am so over pulling plastic pots apart. Alliteration be damned. It is the literation that bugs me.

Rita said...

I agree--make putting the mug under your very first step. It isn't working adding it to the end. Otherwise or in addition--I am a great fan of post it notes in big fat lettering till I get used to something or a task is done, etc. Great little reminders! :)

William Kendall said...

I'm glad I don't drink coffee.

Joanne Noragon said...

Perhaps you need to insert your mug first.

Red said...

I have had the experience of coffee running all over the place. Coffee is quiet and sneaky so by the time you notice it, it has spread a long way.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lots of those who previously commented had the same suggestion about either placing a sign near the coffee maker or a mug at the ready until your brain remembers automatically.

Jenn Jilks said...

My better half is a coffee snob. That said, he often has mishaps.
We now place our coffee machine on a tray on the counter. It has helped many times!