Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Will it Go?

Once upon a time, I was watching a softball game with a friend when the plate umpire questioned the base umpire about the baserunner. Did he go? Note: A baserunner can't leadoff the base like you can in baseball, at least not in fast pitch. The runner must stay on the base until the pitcher releases the ball. 

I can't remember the answer at the time, but my friend had some fun. "Did he go? I don't know." Well, maybe you had to be there lol.

Recently in my comments to more than one blog, I have wondered whether our snow would go before April.

Will it go? I don't know.

This ↓ is the state of our pile on March 15.


With a little more than two weeks remaining in March, there is a lot left to melt, but two weeks is a fairly long time. Most, if not all, days will be above freezing, and it is projected that two days will at least reach 10C/50F.

By comparison, this ↓ was taken on March 12 2021 — three days earlier than this years ↑ photo. There was less then — about one-half the present amount — even though it was a few days earlier.


I have a photo from March 29 last year showing no snow whatsoever in the park.

You just never know: in the countryside on March 23 2019


At the beginning of April 2018, JJ was rollerblading out front, but you can spot a little snow in the yard beyond.


And back on March 15 2017, we had a major dumping.


And yet, weather records tell me that we had an almost record warm day of 24C/75F, just a week later.

Unfortunately, I don't see a similar warm day forecast for this year. On the other hand, while I do see some possible snow in the two-week forecast, it seems that there will only be trace amounts on days that won't be cold, so the new snow will likely melt on impact. 

Oh my! I remembered the little fort, but I had forgotten that it happened early in April 2014. For a few days, the kids had afterschool snacks out there.


In a year like that, we have sometimes helped Mother Nature to bring in Spring by shovelling snow off the yard and onto the street. My memory tells me that. one April, we uncovered tulips growing under the snow. I really thought that I had a photo of that and that I had posted it but durned-drat-it if I can find it now.

8 comments:

William Kendall said...

We'll still have snow on the ground for awhile. It's better if it's a slow, orderly melt anyway.

Margaret said...

I'm confused by the date on this. Did you update it? The snow level is so variable from year to year. We rarely have any on the ground after February and even then, it's only for a few days. I hope it will soon be gone for this year!

Barbara Rogers said...

You all definitely have snow on going in March! But I salute you for also having slush. That is a system of mud and ice, which inevitably gets into your shoes or boots and makes you socks turn to wet cold things. I hate slush!

Marie Smith said...

Snow…too much and too slow disappearing. That is all.

Marcia said...

Our snow is slowly melting here. We have a big stretch in the backyard even though it has a southern exposure. when we had rain on top of snow which then froze overnight it became an ice rink. Snows on top of that then have been kept cold. It will be the last to go I'm afraid.

Joanne Noragon said...

Winters are consistently fickle.

Kay said...

Wow! That is a ton of snow! We have had very little precipitation here in Hawaii and are in a drought situation. However having that much precipitation in snow form is rather difficult too.

Jenn Jilks said...

I love it.