Sunday, March 06, 2022

The Penultimate Game

We attended two hockey games last week. As far as the schedule goes now, unless they add more games, these are the last of the season for me. They have two Away games in the next week to be followed by an Away tournament. I don't plan to attend either. So, I think that's it for my hockey photos, which I am sure nobody me will miss. 

On Monday night, they played a very close match that should have ended in a 1-1 tie, but the other guys scored a winning goal with only l6 second remaining in the game. That’s a bit of a tough pill to swallow.

This ↓ photo shows our goal. In a rapid-fire sequence, I caught the whole thing from the shot to the goal. I do have one with the puck in the net, but our player had turned away by then, so I went with the earlier photo with him still facing the camera and with the puck about to enter the net.


I have two photos with Jonathan. In the first one, he and an opponent are jostling for position just a bit. In the second he and another player are contesting a puck.



Now for three photos featuring other players. When photographing sports (not that I actually know what I am doing, but I have been told lol), one looks for peak moments of action or intensity or just interesting expressions or moments.




With only one more game to post, that is a wrap for another year. For a few years, hockey has given me something to photograph in winter when there isn't much else to draw me out with my camera, particularly in a winter like we’ve just had. January was frigid and whatever snow we had didn’t hang prettily on trees for long. while standing in a cold arena with an aching back isn't always fun, it still usually beats outdoor conditions. So, I keep coming back to it because it is my grandson and because it is challenging to get those action moments.

Having just added the title, The Penultimate Game to this post I am reminded of the time when I thought penultimate meant beyond ultimate. I was so dumb. It means second last: the one before the last.

16 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Great shots. I hope the next season is more “normal” for everyone.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a fun series...and I'm sure JJ will enjoy them. Sorry to hear about that last goal by the other team! Thanks for def. of pentultimate...I always thought it was somewhere beyond ultimate too!

MARY G said...

Too much modesty there, AC. You get some great action shots - your first one here is just stellar. I hear you about the action and I am awed at how well you can read the play to get these.
My sport to photograph was gymnastics - daughter and granddaughter - and everything they did was set, so that after you watched a routine a few times, you could be ready for the jump or salto or whatever. The main challenge was the lighting in the gym, usually too low for great action stops, and flash forbidden, for obvious reasons. I have a lot of grainy black and white shots, with the ASA 400 pushed to 800. I would love to try with the iPhone, but the grandkid is now into track and the meets are in Quebec this year.

Marcia said...

I'm impressed by how you can stop the action without a blur of figures. Great colors too!

DJan said...

Really good photos! I enjoyed the game through your pictures, AC. :-)

MARY G said...

And peninsula is almost an island.

William Kendall said...

These are good action shots.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Got some great photos. Hope a big time sport company notice your skill with the camera.
Coffee is on and stay safe

The Furry Gnome said...

You do get great action shots.

Kay said...

I'm always amazed with your action photos. Goodness! Jonathan has really grown in these past two years.

Margaret said...

Those are excellent shots. I think sports photography is one of the most difficult types due to the lighting and the fast movements. I think penultimate is a very strange word to start with!

Jenny Woolf said...

You have some fine action shots there. One of my regrets was not learning to skate well enough to do games on the ice of any description. It must be wonderful to have mastery of zooming over the ice and going exactly where you want to go, instead of worrying at the back of your mind about falling over!

Jeanie said...

Don't feel bad about "penultimate" -- or at least alone! I used to think that, too. Your photos are terrific -- I think it can be so difficult to show action. You must have a great camera and even better reflexes. (And probably good editing skills too, to know which to keep and throw -- at least if you are anything like me!)

Mage said...

I didn't know that.

Kay said...

Oops! I see that my comment did post after all but on a different post.

Jeck Leo said...

DhankesariLottery Result today is updated here above side of this page and you can download Dhankesari Lottery Result today. Dhankesari lottery is one of the most famous lottery across India.Dhankesari State Lottery Sambad Result 1:00 PM