Wednesday, March 23, 2022

I Was Sooo Cold

You may recall my New Years Eve fireworks photos. Goodness know that I showed enough of them. But here's another to refresh your memories. It's the building — the old schoolhouse — on the right that is the main subject today.

Now that there is much less snow, I had it in mind to try for a dawn or even a sunrise photo featuring the schoolhouse, so I headed out yesterday morning.

This  wasn't the photo that I came for. To get a sunrise, I would have to be way over to the left. I never got there. I will explain, shortly.


There was a bit of a glow where my car was parked, so I took a photo while I waited for more light. By the way, both photos required 30 second exposures.


It was perishingly (spellcheck does not like that word) cold. The wind resulted in a feels like temperature of -10C/15F. It felt colder than that to me as the wind bit through my layers. Frankly, it was too much for me.

For a few minutes after squeezing off those photos, I sat in the car desperately trying to warm up. My plan had been to wait for the sun, but I couldn't justify idling the car for another half hour or so, and I would have had to keep it running because I felt so cold. Besides that, it was a cloudless sky and it wouldn't have likely made for a very good photo anyway. I do hope to return on a less frigid morning.

So, there are no wonderful photos to be seen, just a record of the morning.

For what it is worth, I also did a version of the schoolhouse ↓ in b&w. I kept it pretty dark and gloomy, which is not far off from what I was seeing at the time.


I can tell you that was a three-cup coffee morning (cups not big mugs) — one upon arising and two afterward to get me closer to being warm again.


20 comments:

Ed said...

You need to invest in some of those heating packets that you can activate and stick in your gloves. I find if I can keep my hands and feet warm, my core feels warm.

Boud said...

I guess you were suffering for your art!

Barbara Rogers said...

Wow, 30 seconds! That must have been a still coldness, because those vines hanging in front of the school didn't twitch a bit (branches). So sorry you froze! Those pics will be known forever now as the frozen schoolhouse pics.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The things a photographer will do for art, John, and perhaps you can return on a somewhat warmer morning...and with more coffee too. That said the final image was quite the moody one.

Vicki Lane said...

You are so dedicated! I love the old school--can you get photos of the interior? Maybe when it's warmer?

MARY G said...

Clutching the mug to warm up your hands? Yeah. It is clearly Dedication to set up in those temperatures.
Nice horizon shot. I like the dark one too.

Jeanie said...

I can see why it was a three-cup morning! Perhaps when it's a bit warmer out? It's a great spot!

Tabor said...

The fireworks photo was very well done. Good balance in exposure, color and composition. It is hard to get good photos when under a time strain and weather complexicity.

gigi-hawaii said...

Well, those are interesting photos nevertheless. Too bad it was so cold.

Margaret said...

Here I was thinking that since the snow was melting, you were done with those types of temperatures. I can't even imagine that level of cold. Warm beverages are the only thing that seems to warm up the core. Or is that my excuse for drinking more coffee? ;)

Marie Smith said...

I never venture out at sunrise. It is about the time I am finally getting some sleep. Love the top schoolhouse photo.

DrumMajor said...

Cool (literally) photos. I've used those hand warmer packets and masking tape to tape them over the top of my shoulders on the outside of my shirt. (Not directly on the skin.) It's a nice way to stay warm while watching winter football (or hockey) games. Linda in Kansas

Mage said...

:)

William Kendall said...

These were worth the cold.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well I'm glad you got your three cups of coffee!

Joanne Noragon said...

I've photographed one sunrise in my life, back when I ferried a granddaughter to work. It was a nice photo.

peppylady (Dora) said...

Nothing like a nice warm coffee in cold morning.
Coffee is on and stay safe

DJan said...

You certainly made a good case for waiting a little longer before trying to get these sunrise shots. Nice fireworks, though.

Jenn Jilks said...

Good try. When I was filming the weasels, I got a chill. I came home and made a fire, and nestled under a blanket.

Kay said...

I can never get fireworks photos like that. Wow!