Saturday, March 19, 2022

The Worm Moon

I have a few more photos from our foggy morning (not really a foggy morning) photo shoot.

On the way to our intended destination, I was absolutely delighted to keep seeing a glorious full moon appearing off to my right. We were travelling, so I just thought that I would enjoy seeing it and not fret over not getting a photo. Okay, I was fretting, just a bit.

When we arrived at our destination, however, there it was shining over the river. Silly me, though. After we parked, I wasted time sauntering over to the spot, just to check it out even though I had just seen it in passing. Oh yeah, it looked very good shining through tree branches.

I sauntered back to the car, fiddled with my gear, and sauntered back to the spot, but by then, the dadblasted moon was partially obscured behind the clouds. Then, we lost sight of it completely.

I did get one photo before it disappeared. The photo didn't turn out too well and probably wouldn't have, even if the moon had remained full. I converted what I had to b&w because I found the pre-dawn blues too overpowering.

The sun was coming up behind us but not along the river. So getting a sunrise photo wasn't working out either.

Then, about ten minutes later, a gap in the clouds enabled the moon to make another appearance before dropping below the trees, and we got our photos. This spot was to the right of the above photo. It was nice of the gaggle of geese to provide some foreground interest on the edge of the ice, but they did begin honking at me, thus announcing their displeasure of my activity. Like some people, they seemed to take issue with the camera.


When I got home, I searched for the name of March's full moon, for they all have names. It is called the Worm Moon. However, I am not sure that the man who lives in residence on the moon knows this. (In full disclosure, just to you good folk, I must declare that we were actually almost 24 hours earlier that the complete full moon, but shh, let it be our secret,  eh?)

Having missed the fog, or actually the fog having missed us, Bob, who can be a very determined old codger, drove about looking for a sunrise photo. Well, as I have bemoaned over and over again, nothing locally seems to lineup conveniently for sunrise and sunset photos. Or almost nothing anyway.

Eventually, we saw the sun peeking around a barn off in a field. Fortunately, it happened at an untrafficked spot where there was also enough of the shoulder between the road and the snow bank to pull over.

I squeezed the aperture (f22 for those who know what it means) enough to get a sunburst effect around the corner of the barn. I didn't want the whole sun in the photo to begin with, so the barn made a handy, partial blind. I used the shade white balance to warm up the photo. The winter atmosphere was certainly bluer than the photo. Artistic license, don't you know?


I had all of my lenses in the car. Why I didn't use my head and put on the telephoto one in order to get closer to the barn, I cannot say, except maybe I can put the blame on a poor night followed by a lack of breakfast. Yes, let's put it down to that rather than the more likely cause, which shall not be named.

14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I love those first two photos!

Barbara Rogers said...

Fun to see a photographer at work...whether a darkroom or a cursor at work, the end result is what counts. Cool sunrise around barn!

MARY G said...

Two total winners. And, yes, I get the push. Nice one.

Margaret said...

Love the photos especially the sunrise one. The tweaking worked beautifully!

Vicki Lane said...

I love that last picture. Looks like a painting.

William Kendall said...

Lovely views!

peppylady (Dora) said...

The last one would also be lovely painting.
Coffee is on and stay safe

Red said...

I always appreciate the story that goes along with your photo.

The Furry Gnome said...

Well, I like all those photos myself.

Joanne Noragon said...

Well done, under the circumstances. I do not function before breakfast AND coffee.

Jenn Jilks said...

You are a good pair! Fun to get out like that. I have no will to get outdoors at that hour!

Rita said...

All of these are great! :)

Doris Potter said...

I love the shot of the moon and the geese. Spectacular!

Jeanie said...

I saw that moon and it was beautiful, but my photos were not! So I'm very glad you shared your stunning images, and the sunrise as well. All are gorgeous.