Tuesday, March 29, 2022

Another Cost of Aging

So it is 3:30AM, Sunday night (or Monday morning), and here I am writing this post for Tuesday. If that isn’t early enough in your estimation, I hasten to add that I have been up for more than an hour already. I certainly hadn't planned it this way, but here we are.

As you know, I do get up rather early at times, but 2:15 or so just about takes the cake.

On this occasion, I was awakened by soreness in my nether regions and soon decided that I wasn’t going to be able to sleep through it. It was not (and is still not) a killer pain, but it is enough to keep me awake. This phenomenon also occurs sometimes during the day, but one just lives through it then and carries on. It’s just hard to sleep through discomfort down there when it happens at night.

So, I went from bed to chair, turned on the electric blanket because I was feeling a bit cold in the middle of the night. (Well, why else would one turn it on? Duh.) But as odd as it seems, I also applied cold. Yes, I placed a freezer pack onto my sore nether regions, first on my front apparatus and then on the rear.

The cold treatment seemed to help a bit initially, but I am now somewhat sore again, so I am probably up for keeps after a grand total of three hours of sleep.

This is another cost of aging, just not a monetary one as in the previous post.  

Since I also decided that I may as well make coffee, I have effectively reduced further the probability of getting back to sleep. So here I am doing this and that on the iPad. Maybe I will watch a photo tutorial, and I do have a book to read although I don’t know if I am exactly perky enough to concentrate, especially since I am still contending with soreness.

Perhaps I shall force myself to endure another round of the freezer pack. 

This particular pain is random and doesn't occur all that often, thank goodness, but it does happen more often than I’d like. It is yet another cost of aging and one that doesn’t exactly bring joy to my heart  

21 comments:

Christina said...

I am sorry you are in pain, not pleasant at all. Maybe tonight sleep will come more easily. I keep my fingers crossed for you.

DJan said...

I feel terrible when I don't get a good night's sleep. I do hope tonight is better for you.

Barbara Rogers said...

I know how hard it is to sleep with attention-getting pain. Hopefully it will be solved soon, one way or the other. Sleep deprivation is certainly not good to have...and I hope you can nap for a while later in the day. In the meantime, I hope you have something to look at for entertainment which might keep your mind otherwise occupied.

Tabor said...

It always seems pain if worse at night in the quiet and dark. I have been sleeping really well after m chronic illness a year ago. Once in a while I take a sleeping aid if I feel I am going to be too awake. I assume you have been to a doctor to be examined?

William Kendall said...

Ouch.

Debby said...

Aging is kind of a shock. I have a bum knee. I have had surgery on it once, and it was of no help whatsoever. I really felt like a drag on my recent trip. When you are walking with a couple who will bike 30 miles in a day, or walk 15 miles in a day FOR ENTERTAINMENT I felt like a humongous drag. I could manage 5 easily, but my limit seemed to be 7.5. The pain got too much to bear at that point. It was not just my knee though. It was my back. My hips. I keep telling myself this was due to the gait adapted to cope with the bad knee. Inside I wondered if it was old age creeping up on me.

Karen said...

ugh, I totally understand that which you describe. I generally go to sleep around eleven, sleep quite soundly for about three hours, then the pain jolts me up. That's when I generally take an ibuprofen and hope it works. About another three hours of waiting for that to kick in and often can get another three hours of sleep. The joys eh?

Ed said...

I have had pains in the middle of the night on occasion. For many years, I would roll around trying to get comfortable and finally fall back asleep. But as time has gone on, I find it much more appealing to me to just get up and watch some television or read a book until I feel sleepy again and then go back to bed. I'm still short of sleep but feel much better the next day than waking from a restless sleep.

NGS said...

Aging is the worst, but I guess the alternative isn't any better. I hope this is a temporary pain and that you soon go back to your usual level of comfort!

Marcia said...

I assume you've been to see the doctor about this and they can't do anything for you. Pain seems to be magnified at night, too. Hope you had relief last night.

Margaret said...

It is depressing to get up in the middle of the night and be uncomfortable. It sounds like you made the best of it and will hopefully get more rest today and tonight.

Marie Smith said...

I hope you can get a nap today and a good sleep tonight, AC.

Blondi Blathers said...

When unpleasantness disturbs one's sleep ... that is really a low blow. Hope you're soon feeling better. -Kate

Red said...

Well, did chatting and writing about this discomfort help with the pain.

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you. I've had such pains. You are wise to get up and do something, methinks. So sorry.

DrumMajor said...

What a bummer! May want to chat with your doc further about this area of pain. Maybe a tylenol before sleep to keep it away? Finding out the source and reason could be important for future comfort. (Prostates like to be sneaky sometimes.) Linda in Kansas

Joanne Noragon said...

I have no advice except ask your doctor.

Vicki Lane said...

Quel bummer, AC--I hope things get better.

Terra said...

I hope that your recurring pain does not recur! I told two friends recently, oh my gosh, we are old, we are all talking about health issues. The plus side of being old is being retired which I greatly enjoy. Be well.

Jeanie said...

At the risk of overstepping, have you had the nethers checked out? It might well be worth it. If it's nothing, then whew. And if it's something -- you're on it fast.

Rita said...

I hate when pain steals away your sleep. :(
Yes, I also hope you have had those nether regions checked out. ;)