Thursday, March 24, 2022

A Different Look

I showed you this ↓ photo almost a week ago.
 

But I took a vertical photo too. It is often a good thing to take as photo both ways, but just as often  I forget or remember but can't be bothered. This time I did remember, but I wanted to process it differently than the first one, so here it is.


Aside from the edit to b&w, you may notice that I removed the wire that ran across the top of the bar, sort of paralleling the fence. I had removed some other wires in the colour version, but I had left this one in because I mistakenly thought that it electrified the barn and was part of the story. But when I looked more closely, I saw that it just ran past the barn. Removing that wire was not a difficult undertaking.

It did take me more time remove the pennants from in front of the fence. They were a distraction to me in this version because I was aiming for a more authentic, retro feel, which I think suits this barn.

I liked the result ↑ quite a bit but also wanted a more horizontal version. At the same time, I didn't want to be bothered going back to the original horizontal colour photo and doing all of the editing and removal work again, so I cropped the above photo into this ↓ rendition.


While I was pleased with the original colour version, I think I like the monochrome result more.


16 comments:

Kipper said...

Great pictures of the barn. It makes me want to know more about it’s history, has it a story to tell?

Patio Postcards said...

The last photo would definitely be a contender for the calendar!

Marie Smith said...

Great editing of the wire and pennants.

Boud said...

I like to return to b and w sometimes. Nostalgia.

Barbara Rogers said...

Well done. The last version is a winner!

NGS said...

That last one is really beautiful. There's just something about old barns - you can't go wrong!

Margaret said...

Impressive work! I love that last photo--very evocative. Starkly beautiful.

Vicki Lane said...

I like seeing the different iterations.

William Kendall said...

I like all three.

Joanne Noragon said...

Your currently final rendition is very nice.

The Furry Gnome said...

Simple me, I like them all!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I think the final version with the distractions removed and tighter cropping worked best. The second one had a bit too much sky area in my opinion.

Rita said...

I must be the only one who prefers the color version--LOL!
I do like the last B&W one, too, though. ;)

MARY G said...

Love the vertical shot. But it must be my eye because the barn seems to bulge ever so slightly in the colour horizontal, but not in the monochrome shots. Weird.
Yes, removing fiddly bits of colour is a drag. Worth it though.

Jenn Jilks said...

You do excellent work! Well done.

Kay said...

I really do like that last monochrome effect best. I've been doing a lot of cloning and erasing on our family photos for that book project I'm doing.