Wednesday, March 02, 2022

Colouring My World

There's a new post below the break, but some of you seem to need help with yesterday's joke. Try this ↓ in song.

Pardon me, Roy. Is that the cat that chewed your new shoes?

Pardon me, boy Is that the Chattanooga choo choo?

I figured that you were all old enough, but I am older than most of you, so . . .  

===========================

You can do a number of things with AI in photoshop these days. I have already shown a recoloured photo of a scene with a fence and old truck. On the weekend, I decided to experiment with old family photos.

This first one worked out pretty well although you can see that some of the colours, especially on the wall, were not uniform. I think it did a pretty good job on the people, including little me.

I'll say that I was ~5 at the time, so circa 1952. My maternal grandfather is to my right. The other 2  are/were cousins of my maternal grandmother who had died several years previously. I have no memory of her.

We all lived in Montreal at the time although none of the adults were from there. (Technically neither was I, for I wasn't born there but lived there from about 2 to 15 years of age. I still largely feel like a Montrealer, though.) My grandfather was an immigrant from England, but my grandmother’s and these cousins’ families that had lived in Canada for much longer, their forebears having moved to Ontario form the USA after the War of Independence.

The two cousins were actually also cousins of each other, but they were brought up as brother and sister. Bill was born without thumbs, and his mother discarded him. Sadie's parents took him in, and he lived quite a successful life.

The next photo is of my dad and me, likely in late October or early November in 1947. The colour in dad's suit came out unevenly, the bottom being a reddish brown, so I tried to make it grayer more like the top. I didn't have complete success, but it was better than before. The AI did a good job on the grass and not too bad on skin tones. It is pretty remarkable really. Once upon a time, as an exercise, I coloured a b&w photo by hand (as it were), and it took more that a few seconds of sitting back and cracking my knuckles while the computer whirred away.


I tried a few others, but the colours were too wild and uneven, so I abandoned them. Then I did this one of my paternal great grandfather. He lived in England, and of course, we never met.


His jacket was two different colours, somewhat reddish-yellowish on the left, so I toned that down a bit. I also didn't think his hair was red, so I changed that manually as well.

I finally remember what photo I coloured by hand. I wonder if I can find it.

I can't find it on my computer, but it is on Flickr, so I am embedding it from there. It's from a b&w that I took of Shauna around 1974. I coloured it in 2007. Perhaps it isn't on my computer because I had a crash around that time. I shall remedy that by exporting it back to my computer. 

I see that I didn't manage to colour her mouth very well, nor her eyes.

Wk2 Coloring a Photo

14 comments:

Jean Winnipeg said...

I did get the joke, although you might have heard groan from Winnipeg!

Patio Postcards said...

Beautiful work on the photos. Such wonderful memory treasures.

William Kendall said...

Creative work.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh your great granddad does look like you (except the squint)! Good coloration work! For some reason (not you I'm sure) your blog link was gone from my list completely this morning. Hey, you are one of my regular posts to read with my first (or second) coffee...I went searching and put you back on the list, your blog I mean.

Marcia said...

Nicely done. What a sad story for the cousin "discarded" by his mother.

Anvilcloud said...

@Barbara: That lazy eye skipped two generations but came to daughter #1. Of course, there may have been one on the other side of the family. Sue's dad had a bit of one as well.

gigi-hawaii said...

Amazing what you can do with modern technology. Good job!

MARY G said...

Impressive - way to go, highly skilled. That the skin tones come out so well is just amazing.
I got the choo Choo joke. Am still grinding my teeth. Bad, bad bad.

The Furry Gnome said...

Those really are remarkable! Good-looking colours to me. My ancestors also came to Canada following or during the War of Independence.

Margaret said...

The uneven coloring makes the photos look more authentic and older in my opinion. I love Shauna's sweater!

Vicki Lane said...

The coloring could have fooled me. Well done! Also, I remember that joke but I think I'm even older than you. ;-)

Mage said...

What a lot of fun you are having.

Mage said...

Her head is still in black and white too.. Where do II find this tool in my PS.

Kay said...

I'm having to use Photoshop quite a bit while working on our family photobook. However, I can't do half the things you do. I need to ask my brother for more lessons. I wish you were my neighbor.