Sunday, February 28, 2021

Riverside Winter Walk

For the second time recently, I ported my longest lens on a winter walk. A main reason on each occasion was that I was keeping my eye out for swans. A few have been hanging around and have been photographed by others.

Alas, they haven't been where I have been, at least not when I have been there. It doesn't bother me too much as I am not a keen wildlife photographer, but it would still be a diversion.

Also for the second time, there were ducks way out on the river. They are not mallards but black and white ducks. But they are too far away to identify. Even with my telephotos, they were fuzzy blobs. I tried but failed..

I did take a few photos of this amazing tree. Having my telephoto lens meant that I could not get the whole thing in the frame, and I think maybe that turned out to be a good thing. I converted them to mono in post. Winter is almost b&w anyway.


There was just enough snow sticking to the tree to make them appealing photos,


We continued through the park with Sue leading the way, but that tree had been pretty much the main highlight, and I didn't find anything else to shoot except for Sue walking.


At the other end of the park, however, I spotted a fellow coming with his two dogs. I pointed my camera to an open spot and waited until they walked into the frame.


Dogs being dogs, they wanted to visit, even though we were quite a long way off.


It had been a pleasant walk on a sunny and a not too cold winter day. It was nice to take a few photos as I have been in a photographic funk for the past month. It has been weeks since I have bothered to post on Flickr, which I have been doing regularly for many years.

I did get some swan pics around this time last year, and I imagine that they look pretty well the same this year.




18 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Sweet photos! I really like the B & W!
It was lovely weather, with a bit of a warm up!

Marie Smith said...

I like the B&W photos. The blue is the last photo is gorgeous!

troutbirder said...

Gotta love those swans. We love the tundras as they migrate down father of Waters in the fall by the thousands then turn left up the Ohio Valley and fly all the way to Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic where they winter. What a sight

Barbara Rogers said...

That leaning tree is beautiful in both views...but I think I prefer without bench. More a "nature" shot. Thanks for including a good swan, and the photo's color is pretty after getting all the B&W's. Just think how you're getting/staying in shape toting the big Lens around!

Mage said...

I like that top tree minus the one to the left. Nicely framed dog and Sue. :) Great swan.

MARY G said...

I love the shot with the bench. Great idea to convert it. Nice textures. I did a few shots of the Friday snow but I am also, as you put it, in a photo funk. Nothing seems new. Stuck around home. I just watched a video,of the Blue Ridge Parkway where we have been several times. Dreaming of another visit.

DJan said...

Nice photos, AC. Everybody gets into funks now and then, and I'm glad to hear you're coming out of yours. :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

That is a nice shot of Sue walking alone down that path. And I like how you waited for the dogs to enter the frame and then you snapped the photo. Awesome!

Kay said...

I enjoy your b/w photos also. Hmmm... maybe I'll try that too and see what happens. You're definitely still in winter. I do love your leaning tree and how the snow is blanketing over it.

Tabor said...

Swans are very rare here as our DNR has driven them away for eating the grasses. Non-indigenous of course! Great winter photos. Excellent contrast!

Red said...

It seems that the pandemic will either get people busy with projects or people lapse into a do nothing period.

The Furry Gnome said...

Nice picture of that tree. I fear I'm in a permanent photographic funk.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful tree! And last year's swan is a treat!

Joanne Noragon said...

Nice pictures, funk irrespective.

Ed said...

Love the tree pics!

Margaret said...

That tree is gorgeous! I love the shape and the snow coating it. I don't know if I like the swan or the water best!

Mara said...

I think the one with Sue walking would be nice with just a pop of colour on Sue. But that is just my opinion.

William Kendall said...

Wonderfully composed shots!