Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Coffee and Time

As I have previously posted, quite possibly more than once, I do a somewhat unique coffee thing in the morning. 

I wake up early, usually hours before Sue, and make myself a single serving mug from a pod. Later, I make a big pot to greet m'lady's arising.

Our brew of choice for the big pot is Van Houtte's Belgian Chocolate.

When m'lady comes into the den for her brew, I usually ask her to pour me another mug, more like a half mug, as I am either sitting at the computer or under my iPad in my chair.

She adds cream first, pours (drips?) the coffee, and then adds more cream as necessary. We both like a creamy coffee, coloured beige. She gets it right.

On infrequent mornings such as this, however, when I rise late (for me!) and closer to the time of her rising, I dispense with the single serving mug and brew the pot straightaway.

I swear that I do the same thing that she does, and my mug is good enough.

But when she does come around for her mug, I still ask for my second pouring.

And hers is always better. No matter what I do, my mix is not as good as hers.

It shouldn't be hard, but I just can't quite get it quite as good as she does.

We all have our talents, but I will be 74 this year, and I am still looking for mine.

Alas, I am running out of time.


13 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Ha Ha. You have the talent of telling the tale of your good Lady Wife's skill of making that perfect mug of coffee.

gigi-hawaii said...

It takes a woman's touch to get it right.

MARY G said...

JG says the same thing about hot chocolate.

Margaret said...

I find that everything tastes better when someone else makes/prepares it. :) She has the gift!

Mage said...

Ha, you have not yet run outta time. :) My coffee is the same. G's coffee is twice as good as mine.

Marcia said...

You short change yourself - you have all that photography talent.

I'm not a coffee drinker at all. Tea is my hot drink of choice and usually from a teabag.

What's keeping you in bed late these days?

Got our first shots today. I'll write about it soon.

Ed said...

I never caught the coffee habit. I tried once upon a time but gave up and now I'm glad. I can be out the door five minutes upon getting out of bed and be fully alert.

DJan said...

My guy always makes stuff better than I do, and I cannot figure it out. Is it my imagination? Whatever, we are lucky to have maestros to take care of us. :-)

William Kendall said...

I never did like coffee. But I go for tea or hot chocolate.

Regarding your comment at FG's post, if you happen by the memorial, William's name is easy to find on it. All firefighters are organized by province and territory they were working out of, and he was working out of a BC unit. His name is at the left hand side of the memorial among other BC fighters, and the name is at on the outside of the grouping.

Plus there's the Holocaust Monument and the War Museum in the same area, so well worth making a trip to all three.

Joanne Noragon said...

You're probably too hard on yourself, John.

Debby said...

Love makes everything taste better. You have many talents and your blog showcases them nicely.

Rita said...

Some people have the magic touch. ;)

Kay said...

Aha! So Sue has the magic touch, eh?