Sunday, February 14, 2021

A Day for Red Roses

We celebrated Cupid's day yesterday (or at least acknowledged the occasion more than wildly celebrated it) mainly by ordering fish and chips. You will recall here (how could you not?) that we got it wrong a few weeks ago by somehow getting fish and chips sans chips. It was time to right that wrong. Now, the craving is out of our systems -- for the time being, at least.

We had decided that Saturday would be a better day to order in rather than wait until today, so I that is when I also gave Sue the card that I had fashioned.

The front.


Inside: the text may be difficult to read in this image,but you will be able to click and expand it or go to this link to read the Robbie Burns poem in text mode.


John McDermott, a Canadian of Irish descent has a lovely version of the song. Back in the day, after we purchased our first CD player to add to our stereo system (remember stereo systems and also CDs for that matter?) a John McDermott album was our first purchase. It was not this CD, but we did add Old Friends in due course.


Due to the lockdown, we did not have gifts to exchange. In our last grocery order, I had thought to include a heart-shaped box of Turtles with the idea of removing it from the bag and sneaking it into the house to offer at the appropriate time. That being the day of the famous battery failure, I forgot to do this, so Sue saw the box when she unpacked the groceries. However, we managed to keep ourselves away from these delectable goodies for a few days, at least.


Sue took this photo of me wearing as much red as possible in acknowledgement of the day..


I hope you have a good Valentines Day.


17 comments:

Mara said...

Hope you and Sue have a great day today as well! Happy Valentine's or Happy Cupid's Day, whichever you prefer.

Marie Smith said...

The red sock are pretty special, AC. Happy day!

Barbara Rogers said...

Have a very happy loving day with your sweetie...happy valentines day to you all.

Jenn Jilks said...

Happy Valentine's Day, or Valentimes, as our premier said, twice in a video clip. JB got us some chocolates, and set them out Friday morning. Two dozen roses, too. My SIL was a half hour late for the hostage exchange as the grocery store was busy, he sent me roses! sigh.

gigi-hawaii said...

Happy Valentine's Day! Aloha from Hawaii.

Tabor said...

Happy Valentine's Day to you both!! I tried to make my husband's favorite cake, but the ingredients were not available. So, I ordered a decadent chocolate cake and he ate a piece for breakfast this morning.

Marcia said...

Happy Valentine's to you. I gave my husband a card I have used for a couple of years. I just date the new sentiment. Somehow I missed giving it to him last year. He is not one for giving me a card. I think the last one he gave me years agoa was red but was a Chinese New Year card - all he could find he said then.

Mage said...

Glad you two are having a happy holiday all in red. You two are flat out charming.

Margaret said...

Happy V-Day to both of you! You do look very festive, and I love Turtles. Great choice!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Yours was a lovely card to Sue and we send out best wishes to you both for a Happy Hearts Day (our preferred terminology). We are celebrating with dinner at home (filet mignon, asparagus and baked potato) with ice cream for dessert. Glad the fish and chips order worked out better 2nd time around. Who doesn't like chocolate turtles and you are to be commended for such restraint.

DJan said...

It was hard to figure out the meaning of those Old English words, but I did, and it was worth it. Happy Valentine's Day to you both! :-)

William Kendall said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

The Furry Gnome said...

Glad your red shirt was for the right team!

Joanne Noragon said...

And happy Valentine's Day to the two of you.

Rita said...

Hope you had a happy Valentine's Day. :)

Debby said...

Happy Valentine's Day.

Kay said...

That's a lovely poem, John. I'm afraid Valentines Day was so so for us. Art wore red, but he spent the day under the sink trying to fix a leak. Sigh...