Friday, February 26, 2021

The Peregrinations of the Mortons

When I began on Ancestry by entering myself into the database, I was soon given links or hints  -- my parents, grandparents, and a lot of so -ons-and-so-forths after that. Some lines went a long way back. Others not so far, but I have at least a few generations in each of my four grandparent lines.

Not so when I entered my beloved or her parents, which seems strange. It was like they didn't exist. Even two out of  her four grandparents drew blanks.

Her grandfather, Morton, however, led to the same information that P documented (see previous post), and the Morton line was more or less congruent between P and Ancestry for the next several centuries. There were a few times, when Ancestry didn't offer any hints, but then I would type in the information from P, and off we went once again.

Several centuries along there were some discrepancies with dates, but the characters seemed to remain true, at least until I got to page 1 (which I posted yesterday) and that was way back in the 15th century and to the beginning of the 13th century. Once again, I tip my hat to P, and while I can't know for sure that every person is 100% accurate, I do have a lot of confidence in her research. If there are mistakes five or more centuries ago, well, the world won't stop spinning.

I wrote that Sue's clan were De Martons before they became Mortons about a century and a half later in the 1400s. The Da Martons and Mortons lived in Bawtry for almost four centuries, and I suppose that many did long after that. I don't know if they were all Lords of Bawtry, and if not, when the title passed out of Sue's direct line.

Then, I saw a change, for George Morton, who was born in Yorkshire (1585) died in Plymouth, MA in 1624. There Sue's ancestors remained for two centuries. (I will post more of George later in one final Morton entry.)

Almost 200 years after George migrated from England to Massachusetts, I noticed that Silas Morton, who was born in Hatfield, MA in 1789, died in Keswick, Ontario in 1850. I found that he was married in MA in 1808, and his first six children, including Silas Jr (Sue's ancestor) were born in the USA (tip of the hat to Bruce Springsteen), the last being Friend [sic] Francis in 1819. He then sired three more children in Canada from 1825-1831.

Presumably then, he immigrated to Canada sometime around 1820-1824, and his son Silas Jr was still young and came with him.

Sue's Mortons have lived here in this province ever since, with both Sue and her parents being born and raised in Toronto. Sue then moved with me to Guelph where I finished university. We kept going westward in Ontario to London for College of Ed, and then to Sarnia to teach for 30 years.

While in Sarnia, daughters Shauna and Allyson were born. Shauna moved to Eastern Ontario, near Ottawa and Allyson moved west to Vancouver shortly thereafter. After my retirement, followed by my mother's passing, Sue and I decided to make the move to Eastern Ontario in 2005 to be closer to Shauna. Two years later, Danica was born, and Jonathan two years after that.

We are not terribly far from near Cornwall where my own ancestors settled. I probably should scoot down there one summer and nose around graveyards. How safe will it be to scoot about this summer, I wonder. September seems to be the estimated date when it may be significantly safer, but we'll have to see.

13 comments:

William Kendall said...

We shall see what summer brings. It's been years since I've been in Cornwall.

Ed said...

Yes certainly the world will continue spinning if there are mistakes five centuries back, but my thoughts are if there are mistakes made that far back, there are probably mistakes made much further down the tree too. I would say a good 75% of the time, those "hints" that ancestry provides are wrong which is why that site if riddled with bogus trees.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great to read of your family's (and Sue's) migrations. Now I'll have to find a map and see where all those places are! I enjoyed your verbalizing about your ancestors...very nicely done. I'm afraid I get lost in just listing dates with each person...as well as how many children they had where. But it has been fun to follow some of those little leaves on Ancestry. I can always ignore (pushing the button) them if they're in the wrong century (why the heck do they do that?) or continent (same question!)

Marcia said...

You've done some great sleuthing with help of P and Ancestry. Sounds like Sue is descended from a very early colonist of Massachusetts.

Marie Smith said...

It is always fun to find the info but the process can be tedious!

MARY G said...

I have photos of all the graves in the cemeteries where JG's and my ancestors are buried. I took some of the photos to show orientation to the church yards and buildings as well. Both my mother and JG's mother toured our kids through these graveyards and gave them the history, etc. I figured I would just make a record, as I cannot imagine steering Audrey through it. Maybe. But the stuff is there if she ever wants it. I have also scanned lots of old photos and labelled what I could recall. She may never want any of this material, but ....
Hats off to your researching relative. One of my father's cousins did a similar research pre internet. He was a retired teacher and took all his holidays where he could look up and copy data from church registers, land registry, etc.
If one could go back in a time machine, one worthy action would be to lecture the ancestors NOT to use the same names over and over. My dad's cousin's register is full of Mary's and James. Over and over. Amusingly enough, I am married to a James, son of James and daughter of a James.
Good thing we only had daughters.
Sorry this is so long. My bad.


gigi-hawaii said...

Should be interesting to see the gravestones of ancestors. What will future generations do if their ancestors were created and the ashes scattered?

Margaret said...

The reusing of names and misspellings have thwarted me many times. I've made a couple fascinating discoveries and try to congratulate myself for that. My lofty goals of tracking down my mom's Italian side have gone no where. I probably would need to go to Italy and even then might not find out much. They were peasants who probably gave birth on the kitchen table.

Mage said...

I would think that next year with a many layered mask you should be fine.

The Furry Gnome said...

Didn’t know you were at UofG. When we’re you there?

DJan said...

Boy, my ancestry life sure seems tame in comparison. My brother was fascinated with it all some years past, and I was interested to learn than Edgar Rice Burroughs was somewhere in my mother's lineage.

Rita said...

I do hope it will be safer for you to scoot around this summer. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

One day we shall have to meet up for coffee!
We've been 12 years here, 4 in Muskoka, I was 25 years in Ottawa, and 25 in Toronto.