Tuesday, February 16, 2021

We Are Unlocked

Lockdown is over. I don't know if it should be over, but it is -- at least for us, for now.

Some areas, such as Toronto are still under stay-at-home orders, but much of the province is beginning to re-open. Our health unit has been coded as green, so while we have normal restrictions, such as continuing to mask in indoor public spaces, there is much room for movement as well.


As an example, here's what Green means with regards to restaurants.

I am not in hurry to rush around into public indoor spaces, but I will feel freer to move around outdoors. While driving has not really been restricted, I have, nevertheless, felt it so, and I have heard about very rare cases of people being ticketed for being out and about. I do think that in these very few instances the police have exceeded their mandate, and I expect such tickets to be quashed in court.

There can be little doubt that the lockdown has worked. The province was exceeding 3000 new cases/day, and ICU accomodation was becoming very worrisome. We have been in the 1000 range for about a week now -- still too many but much much better.

I hope the opening doesn't lead to another mighty wave, especially with the newer more transmissible variants gaining ground. Border restrictions are being ramped up even more to try to keep the spread at bay. Soon, returnees must produce a negative test result when they attempt re-entry and will still be expected to quarantine at home for 14 days. Those who cannot produce proof of a negative test will be required to stay in designated hotels at their own expense although I am still murky on the exact details..

Finally, vaccinations are taking place. While they are currently just being provided to healthcare workers and seniors in residences, they should still help a lot.

Progress. I think.


16 comments:

Marie Smith said...

The 80+ age range has appointments for two shots when we get the next doses of vaccine. Hope is on the horizon...

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I agree with all your opinions on this AC. Yesterday was my 88th birthday so I am being very careful. I've received my two vaccinations but still think that caution is needed.

DJan said...

I just received an appointment for a shot a week from today, so I am excited. But I sure am going to be careful for a long time to come! Glad to hear you are no longer under lockdown. :-)

Patio Postcards said...

Congratulations on being a region in Green Control. We moved to Red Control, so much doesn't change (yet). IMO, I don't think this is the last lock down, because we are trusting or counting on the common sense of others ... I'll say no more.

Barbara Rogers said...

Thanks for the update. Our county has definitely improved in it's numbers, finally. I don't get the news every night...it's too depressing actually. I remember the excitement when the pandemic was starting, and I'd look to find out what the national and state numbers were, as well as whatever we'd hear about the world wide spread. It's still on the news, but I'm kind of tired of it...a bit of pandemic freeze here...just have a scab over my interest now. I am glad you all are doing better and that you might be getting vaccines some day soon. Of course we have to keep fighting this dreadful bug.

Ed said...

I wish our state had those measures for green. Currently, our governor has decreed that there are no need for masks and no social distancing required at bars and restaurants. So for me, that is the same as lockdown for you. I'm not going anywhere if I can help it.

Marcia said...

Such good news for you. What's the timeline for you getting your vaccination?

William Kendall said...

I have no intention of dining in at a restaurant for the foreseeable future.

gigi-hawaii said...

Hope all turns out well over there. As for your cauliflower in the previous post, it looks delectable.

Shammickite said...

I'm still in the grey area. But I wouldn't want to dine out anyway. Although I did treat myself to a yummy takeaway butter chicken and rice dish yesterday, enough for two meals.
No hope of a vaccination yet. They are telling everyone where it will take place but there's no vaccines available.

Margaret said...

Glad that you're making progress. Our numbers have stayed relatively low compared to other states, mainly due to our governor's phases. Unfortunately, they haven't made him very popular with the anti-masking, anti-vaxxing crowd. I can't wait to get vaccinated but it will be months for me!

Tabor said...

I have been out to stores but very briefly. I also food shop every few weeks and order delivery most of the time. We have used take-out for our restaurants and not yet chancing to eat in them. they are at 25 capacity.

Red said...

The word that should be with progress is tentative. At this point we have no assurance of vaccinations.

Joanne Noragon said...

Progress, progress, progress.

Mage said...

Despite lots of appointment problems and a shortage of vaccine, we will be having ours Monday and Wednesday of Next week.

Kay said...

I guess we're not on a full lockdown. Places are open, but there are strict protocols in place.