Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Cauliflower Directions, Valentines and Snow

Some of you felt that I wasn't explicit enough in describing Sue's cheesy cauliflower recipe two posts ago, so I will attempt to remedy that little oversight. This was the final, all-done photo if you recall, but you can see the sequence of photos in that earlier post.

Following are the further details, which a few of you wanted to have described more fully.

  • Steam the cauliflower for 8-10 minutes. This means boiling the cauliflower with just a little water in the pot. Eight minutes will probably be enough; check it then. The cauliflower should beginning to soften but not too much.
  • Remove from oven. Apply mayonnaise and mustard glaze and then coat with shredded cheese. See the process in photos in the previous post.
  • Bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
  • Broil for perhaps 30 seconds. Keep your eye on the dish to get a result that pleases you.
================

Right: the kids on Valentines Day, taken by their stepmother. Left: their gift of a hot chocolate bomb -- add warm milk and watch the result (we have yet to do this).


================

We awoke to a pretty big but not gargantuan snowfall yesterday. It was probably about 20cm (8in).

As you know, we have a contractor to plow the driveway but we still have to shovel out by the garage door and along the short walkway to the front door. Our kind neighbours often do this for us before we even have a chance, but I did the job yesterday morning. Sue stuck her head out the door long enough to take a couple of photos.

I have been letting my beard grow fuller and longer than usual during the lockdown. I am not sure where I am headed with this, but it is something to do, and I will keep letting it grow for now.


Although our contractor had plowed the driveway by 6AM, the town plows came by again and blocked the entrance. Fortunately, our guy returned by about 10AM so that I could get out in time to pick up our weekly grocery order.

This is what it looks like from my den this morning, one day afterward. Not all of the snow was new. We did have a complete cover before the storm.



================

One more photo from our walk on the previous day before the big snow. You can see that I brought my camera, but I only took one photo. I suppose there were a few more options available, but old feet and knees prevented me from proceeding through the snow tp get close enough to the water's edge to take those shots. I sometimes find my reduced mobility frustrating.


When I wrote that I only took one photo, it took two snaps. Because I took my longest lens that day, I required two clicks to photograph all of the rink on the river. I joined them together in post but not quite seamlessly, unfortunately. You can see the line where the two parts join. 


The river was frozen over in the foreground, but the cleared section for the rink was near open water. This is wonderfully Canadian, but Sue was alarmed about the proximity to the open water. 





17 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks for the complete cauliflower recipe, John, including the oven temperature. We expect to be trying the recipe this weekend😋 we got no new snowfall this week in Nashua, NH, only rain.

MARY G said...

Thank you!!! The seam is not annoying.

Barbara Rogers said...

Very nice...my fav is the one of you with camera by the open water. Yes, the new beard length looks very dapper. I wonder why blogger keeps missing adding your new posts to my list, but you are still there from yesterday, so I can thus go to your latest posting.

Ed said...

When we bought this dump, one of the first things I fixed was the driveway and the sidewalk by repouring them using concrete. Why in the world didn't I think to add some heating elements to our sidewalk I'll never know. But if I ever redo our sideway in my lifetime, or move to another dump that needs fixing up, I won't miss the opportunity again.

Margaret said...

I like your red jacket! Is the seam in the snow? If so, it's nearly seamless. :) 8 inches is a lot for us, but you are much better prepared than we are.

Mage said...

I showed my dear G the photos and recipe, and his comment was that "you cannot hide it. It's still cauliflower."

I love cauliflower.

Sue got some nice shots of you and the shovel. I don't know what we would do if it ever snowed here.

DJan said...

The red jacket photographs very well in your snow scenes. I didn't see the seam in the picture, but I'm not very observant about such things. :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

We talked about hiring a snow plow dude, but we'd have to fix the driveway before that happens. That'll be a pretty penny!
It's lovely getting outdoors. You manage well, rather than giving up. That is important.

Debby said...

Gadzooks, you're going to look like one of them there Duck Dynasty fellers.

Red said...

That's a lot of snow.

Mara said...

That cauliflower looks quite good.

Do they play ice hockey on that rink or is it just skating/speed skating?

Marie Smith said...

We had about the same amount of snow, then ice pellets. More snow Friday. Ugh!

William Kendall said...

We also got about that same amount of snow.

Debby said...

Being that I am die-ting, I am avoiding cheese. Thanks for waving that delectable looking cauliflower under my nose once again. ;)

PipeTobacco said...

Trying again. Yesterday I had the sam issue as before that my comments would not post. Really not sure why that is happening.... now twice!

I like your longer beard and stache. I too grew mine more full.... and the general consensus from the kids at the U is that they really like mine in the longer style. My wife..... not committing to an answer. :)

We had about the same level of snow as you. It was not a major storm like you said.... but I was out of practice.... so it seemed like a lot to me. :)

Ok, I am going to see if this damn thing posts this time. :)

PipeTobacco

Kay said...

That cauliflower dish looks absolutely scrumptious. I wish we weren't lactose intolerant. I'm just curious about how a beard feels.

Kay said...

To grow one, I mean.