Tuesday, February 02, 2021

Bits and Pieces

I hope you don't mind one of those bits and pieces posts.

================

Thank you for your comments on fish and chips. It seems as if you are in agreement that chips shouldn't be a side order to a dinner where they are stated in the name. Oh well.

BTW, the chips in fish and chips are fries, not potato chips. Chips is the British worth for our fries, which somehow we have kept in naming this dish. Otherwise,we know them as fries. They aren't even called french fries anymore but just fries. Also to note in passing, what we do normally call chips here are known as crisps there.

================

We went for a little walk in our little downtown yesterday and encountered very few people. Those few whom we did encounter were masked although we weren't. Sue can't stand wearing a mask, and while I do better than her, I don't want to be bothered trying to pull it off and on and up and down while wearing a hat and gloves on a cold day. What we did do when we did encounter those very few pedestrians was to drift off to the edge of the sidewalk and stand in place with our backs to them and the sidewalk until they passed by.

================

The lockdown measures are having an effect as the new daily numbers have declined from >3000/day to <2000/day. It's still alarmingly high, though, and the province has also discovered its first incidence of the South African variant. They don't know, yet, how it got here.

================

It was a cold and bright day but not quite so cold as the previous week. Dressed appropriately on a sunny and windless day, we were quite comfortable.

No matter how cold it gets, the river doesn't freeze here because it runs too fast.



However, I have seen photos from olden days where people were skating near the bridge (second photo). In those days, I think dams that existed on the other side of the bridge in those days would have calmed the flow, turning this part of the river more into a pond that would freeze.

================

The chamber of commerce has asked me for copies of some of my photos for their publications. I will receive a small remuneration that might pay for my next order of fish and chips. lol



================

We have, or will shortly have, a ton of Honeycrisp apples, for Danica and her stepmother brought us a box (see photo) of 8 (I think) from Costco. Meanwhile, I will pick up 7 today on our weekly grocery pickup. The order was locked in yesterday, too late to take the apples off the order. I am sure that they will all keep for two weeks.


These are our favourite apples which we can't get all year, or at least they get too over-the-top expensive come spring and summer. They are always expensive, but since we don't order chipless fish very often, we are willing to bear the cost up to a point. The apples in last order were large and effectively cost us $3 each. Yikes!

================

Sue reads through audible books. I don't usually, but I saved Robert Galbraith's (aka JK Rowling) long read, Troubled Blood, for the dead of winter. It is now the dead of winter, so I have begun my listening. The reader (narrator) is fabulous. I sometimes used to read to Sue at bedtime, but now that she has talented narrators at hand , the bloom is off that particular rose. And my oral reading does not improve with age.

I have also stored Louise Penny's latest (I forget the name) for a deep winter, cozy read which I will get to after Blood. I see that her next book has been named and will be published later this year. She churns out one per year but, so far, has managed to keep the quality up fairly well.

================

I have more miscellany that I could add, but I rather think that is enough for one day. Have a good one.



16 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

I know that online grocery ordering woe; too late to add, too late to remove. We are off later this morning to do our every 2 week pick up - I feel like dressing for the occasion; a legal allowable outing!

The COVID variants are scary, especially if they don't know how the S/A one got here, but it must have just popped up in S/A so why not mutant here. So worrying.

I have tried audible books, but maybe it was the person reading my particular story but I just couldn't get into the story that way.

William Kendall said...

Wonderful cold views.

Barbara Rogers said...

I enjoyed your chatty post this morning. That kind of apple doesn't keep that well in warehouses I've heard...which may make part of the expense of it. Time to cook a few! I just re-read a Penny book, which made much more sense to me after re-reading another one from way back when. This was the one that at last explained the "Arnot case." So many of the novels refer to it, so I was glad to have it described. I tried one of Elizabeth George's books as audio, but the reader was really into using British vernacular for each person...I couldn't understand him at all. But the one Penny book which I've listened to was great, because I don't know how French should be pronounced. OK, enough said this morning...

DJan said...

I also enjoyed your post this morning. It sure will feel like a new day when we can actually get outside like in normal time.

gigi-hawaii said...

Yeah, I know about crisps, chips and fries, but I think a potato is a potato no matter what.

Marie Smith said...

I enjoyed this newsy post, AC. The walk on a sunny day would be such a welcome break this year. The sun has been missing here.

Marcia said...

Lots of territory covered in this post. And all of it interesting. We don't wear masks walking outside anymore unless in the "big" town where it's required.
Had snow overnight. Dan says at least a foot and more coming down now that looks very fine. maybe its just wind blowing snow from trees.
Must research dishwashers. Ours is leaking from the bottom. Its 20 years old so not worth fixing. Realtor told us that there would be things go wrong within a month of moving in. She was right: thermostat, oven and now dishwasher.

Ed said...

I have spent a fair amount of time in England so I'm familiar with all the phrases. However the one I most often repeat gets me a lot of stares from those who haven't traveled subways in London. "Mind the gap!"

We don't take our masks when walking on trails and such outside either. But we always take a generous step off the path if needed to provide social distancing. I think most people realize that outside in the cold of winter is not where you are going to get Covid. It is this weekend during the Superbowl party you host in your house.

Most medical professionals I've talked to say the English and African variants are all over the world and probably in every state and province by now. It is because we only test but a tiny fragment of the whole for genetics, we are just now realizing it is here when in reality, it has been here and spread widely already. Our state just announced last night that we had our first 3 confirmed UK cases. None have traveled anytime recently which proves that it is already here and is community spreading. I would be willing to bet money that the African variant is here too but just hasn't been found.

Honeycrisp are my favorite as well although I don't think I have ever seen them go for $3 each! Not sure if that is U.S. or Canadian but it sounds pricey. But at my age, I rarely baulk at luxuries like that. Life is short and only getting shorter.

Debby said...

I am not an audio book person for the same reason (I suppose) that I am not an auditory learner. I have to see things for it to make sense in my mind. Come to think of it, that is probably why it is helpful for me to sort through a problem by tapping it all out on a computer keyboard. Once it is laid out, I can usually see solutions. I never really thought about it. Thanks for that...

Margaret said...

I've heard that many books are better in the audio version, but I'm not a good listener and am too easily distracted. I enjoyed the Galbraith and the Penny was OK. (not her best in my opinion) I'm not too worried about the UK virus version, but am quite concerned about the South African one. It seems to be more severe. My favorite apple is the Cosmic Crisp which is a Washingtonian apple.

PipeTobacco said...

Hah! I was going to mention to the poster yesterday that you were referring to French fries..... but then I realized that was kind of an antiquated term (even thou I still call them that). I could not think of an alternative, so I did not post. “Fries”..... I am not sure why that did not come to mind for me. :)

PipeTobacco

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm glad the CofC wants your pictures; you're a fine photographer.

Rita said...

Congrats on the Chamber of Commerce purchases!
I love honey crisp apples, too.
I haven't listened to many audio books but plan to try it while I am doing art classes this year. :)

MARY G said...

Chips and Fries. Ah, the confusion. My favourite, though, was a sign we used to read when travelling between Montreal and Trois Rivieres. It advertised "French Frites".

David M. Gascoigne, said...

The price of domestic apples has become truly ridiculous. It is crazy when I can buy apples all the way from New Zealand cheaper than those grown locally.

Jenn Jilks said...

I just read it! I liked it.