Saturday, February 27, 2021

From George to Siias

This will be my third and final post about Sue's Morton pedigree.

Recap

So far, we have seen that Sue's pedigree goes a long way back, possibly to 1200 CE. Dates get iffy back in the early days, but the data seem fairly solid for viable connection between present Mortons and the early De Martons.

We also learned that a George Morton (more below) immigrated to Massachusetts very early on and that the links from him to Sue are strong.

The third point of solid record, with regards to movement and geographical location, is that Silas Morton emigrated from the USA to Canada, sometime before 1850.

Now for more about George, the ancestor who came to the New World.

George Morton (1585 - 1624) 

I am using this Wikipedia entry for this information. The basic information about George such as dates, wife, and children is consistent with P's version of the family tree.

According to Wiki, George was an English Puritan Separatist who very likely assisted in the writing and/or publishing of Mourt's Relation in 1662: a book about the founding of the Plymouth Colony.

Once the book was published and his various affairs were set in order, he emigrated to Massachusetts on the Anne in 1623 to join his fellow pilgrim Puritans. This was just three years after the Mayflower.

He had a son named George who married Phoebe Cooper. This George II is the person who continues the line to Sue. A caveat is that there is no firm record of the birth of this second George. Obviously, he existed and both Wikipedia and P tie him back to George I and on to Sue's pedigree.

I am not sure where George II was born, and he's a bit of a mystery. If P is correct, he would have been born in England in 1609. If Wikipedia is correct, he would have been born in Massachusetts in 1624.  But then I don't see him on the passenger list of the Anne. Maybe he arrived earlier or later? 

The same Wikipedia source links some of the more noteworthy descendants of George I.

  • Marcus Morton was, twice, a governor of Massachusetts.
  • Julius Sterling Morton was the third Secretary of Agriculture and the founder of Arbor Day.
  • Joy Morton, a male despite the name, was the founder of the Morton Salt Company
  • Henry Cotton Morton built the Morton House Museum in Benton Harbor, Michigan

That's a wrap, and as best we can tell, it is Sue's long and fairly well substantiated pedigree on her father's side. Although I have only concentrated on Sue's line, P did the whole family Morton, with all sorts of children and branches. It is a very thorough and impressive document.




15 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

I'm thinking there's probably a typo on the date of George II's children, 18-something. It would at best be 17-something but I guess you'll double check it and probably update it.
Wow, Sue's Morton family sure did some impressive things. Great to know her ancestors were leaders. She can hold her head up a bit higher with pride of family - more now than ever!

Barbara Rogers said...

I joined the early morning crowd at 4 this morning...glad you've caught the typo. Now I have to put together a newsletter myself. Fortunately someone else will proof it to catch my own typos.

Anvilcloud said...

Thanks. I got lost and skipped to Silas' children somehow. Minutia tends to muddle me. But what is 2 centuries between friends? :) I have corrected it.

Barbara Rogers said...

Yay!

MARY G said...

Fascinating. Talent in the family right up until today.

Marie Smith said...

One can always look at Ancestral lines and see, if X hadn’t done Y, then this family wouldn’t be here today. There were millions of opportunities for things to have gone so differently. I see it as serial serendipity. Some see it as divinely intervention.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's always interesting to read about how much can be discovered about ancestors. Sadly, my own searches have been sadly neglected as some places where research could be accessed are not available now.

William Kendall said...

A complicated web!

Red said...

Our histories are fascinating. As far as I can tell our history is accurate but there are few details.

The Furry Gnome said...

Didn't arrive inGuelph myself until 1979.

Kay said...

I am truly impressed.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's fascinating to go back that far! Alas, I will never know about my birth father. I think my birth mother is dead, and all the information.

Ed said...

To bad our forefathers weren't more careful in creating and preserving things for future generations to find!

Margaret said...

History is so fascinating, especially when it pertains to our own heritage.

Debby said...

It makes me wonder if perhaps. the first George died and when another son was born, he was named George as well to carry on the family name? Names are frustrating things because in so many cases, they repeat. Or have nick names that bear no resemblance to the actual name.