Saturday, February 13, 2021

Caturday 27: Lacey's Anniversary

Our odd puss, Lacey, has now been with us for two years. (The actual day is closer to next weekend, but I need a topic for today.) She was 8 years old (or so they thought) when we brought her home from the shelter.

When I say that she is odd, I repeat one more time her morning ritual of sitting by my computer chair, waiting to be fed kibble. It is not quite hand feeding, but it is close, as I drop two or three morsels at a time. 

Here she is waiting to be fed. She will assume this position at other times as well, such as whenever she wants something from me. When bedtime nears, it is the tossing of treats that she expects. I take her to the stairs and toss a few treats down to her great joy with her primordial pouch flapping and jiggling in her haste.

She doesn't sleep with us, but she now accompanies Sue to bed. She will sit on Sue for maybe 10 minutes, kind of perched more than snuggling down. Those 10 minutes go slowly for Sue who has a great need to twitch when she first goes to bed, and it is difficult to twitch with fairly large cat on top of you. Sue doesn't twitch all night, just for those first 10-20 minutes. So not only do I have an odd cat but .... (ahem)


While she does do laps, mostly Sue's lap, those visits are also usually kept to about 10 minutes. She she will revel in being petted for those 10 minutes as long as she doesn't see the hand coming near her. She still flinches when she sees a hand. As long as she doesn't see the hand she enjoys petting -- a lot.

The hand aversion must be a result of being treated roughly by a former owner. Also, to repeat from past posts, we were told that she had been left alone a lot in the time before she was taken to the shelter.

She stopped using my chair for a long time but has been getting back to it lately.


Happy anniversary, Lacey. I am happy to have given you a good home in these your middle years.

16 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What a lovely post about your lovely queen cat. You have done so well in meeting her demands, and so she lets you take her photos. That is your (an my) reward of course.

Vicki Lane said...

Having a cat around is always fascinating. They are such strange critters.

Marcia said...

I'd never known her backstory. How nice to adopt a shelter cat. Did she fill a void from a pet that died? I think you both take good care of her.

Ed said...

Animals are strange when it comes to food. When we had a cat and a dog growing up and left for a couple weeks of vacation, we would come home to find the cat skinny and the dog obese. For some reason the cat was never interested in eating unless someone else was in the room and the dog in his sadness, would just sit by the bowl and eat the entire time we were gone.

Patio Postcards said...

Lacey is a very lucky kitty as you are as her staff. She is so pretty & I just love her pink nose.

Debby said...

Cats are always their own critter, aren't they? I'm glad that you gave Lacey a comfortable life. We have Paddington Paw Cat, a marmalade cat, who is way too large, very quiet, and loves nothing better than coming to sit on the chest of anyone sprawled on a couch watching television.

Margaret said...

I love hearing the story of your Lacey. She's very pretty. My Mari was a shelter cat, then adopted by my younger daughter, then essentially dumped on me. Cats tend to be very idiosyncratic. I wonder if they were writing a post about us what they would say about our weird habits. :)

DJan said...

She's very pretty and not so unusual (for a cat, that is). I wonder what Lacy would do if Sue didn't stay still for her like that.

William Kendall said...

She is a wonderful kitty.

MARY G said...

She is a handsome feline for sure. Just about every cat I have known has at least one weird habit. My aunt had a pussy who liked to sleep draped over her (the aunt's) neck. She looked like a fur collar. Lacey might have too much tummy to emulate that.

Joanne Noragon said...

She's quite the poser, too.

Rita said...

Cats! Gotta love 'em. They are all quite unique individuals. She's a pretty cat...and has you trained well. ;)

Mara said...

What Rita says: she has you trained well! Which means she must be a happy cat and content with where she lives.

Christina said...

Happy Anniversary Lacey. You have your humans trained well :-)

Marie Smith said...

Who couldn’t love that sweet face?

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lacey does make for a good blog post and obviously has found a wonderful home with obliging humans.