Saturday, February 06, 2021

River Ice

I showed this photo a few posts back and describing that the river doesn't freeze in this spot by the bridge although I had seen photos in the past where it did.


Of course, it is the rapidity of the flow that keeps the water from freezing, and that is caused by the narrowing of the channel at this point. 

Only about a half kilometre upstream (off to the right of the above photo), by the park, the river begins to widen, and, so, ice begins to form. Both banks begin to ice, but the centre part doesn't freeze. At least I haven't seen it frozen yet in my many winters here. (These next photos are taken from the opposite riverbank from the first.)


The next photo is from a similar spot but looking more upriver than just across.


At the other end of the park, maybe another half kilometre away from the bridge in the first photo, by the boat launch, I point the camera downriver at first. The river has widened even more, and ice shelf is quite extensive. There is still open water in the distance, however.


But when I turn around, I soon see nothing but ice.


Beyond the trees where they intersect to the top right of the wire support, is a highway beyond which the river is so wide that they call it a lake, which is lined with recreational properties.

Of course, ordinary folk like me, don't get to access much of the lake. This chaffes me just a little bit.

17 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

There is something about being beside a lake... Your rivers are great, too.

DJan said...

Very nice, and especially that beautiful blue sky.

Marie Smith said...

The sunny photos brighten my day. It is miserable here again today.

Barbara Rogers said...

Sunshine does make a cold day bareable...or is it bearable? I guess the latter. Great to see all the ice on the river. I haven't seen any that may have happened here on our nearby lake, which is public property so all us regular folks can walk around it.

Marcia said...

Lots of ice around here too. Saw an article about how they clear paths on one of the lakes for skating.

Ed said...

I live along a river and there happens to be a small hydroelectric dam, perhaps with less than 8 feet of head, that keeps the river unfrozen most years. During intense cold snaps like what we have now, it may get close to freezing over and will downstream aways around the bend, but where I walk, there is usually a 20 feet wide channel. All of this is why we have some of the premier bald eagle viewing during the winter time since they tend to congregate next to this open channel of water.

Margaret said...

Love the blue sky and the stark beauty of the snow and ice, although I'm happier to see it in photos than in real life. :)

MARY G said...

The Mississippi can be pretty treacherous in spots - skiers and snowmobilers have gone through in multiples. The blue water with the ice is spectacular, though. Just do not fall in while selecting the best viewpoint, okay?

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I guess I've turned into a woos since moving south over 30 years ago, but, as much as I love your photos, my reaction to it this time is BRRRRRRRRRRRR !

Mage said...

Lovely stuff. What does the water sound like there?

Masks. I don't like wearing one either, but I am determined not to catch Covid. Daughter Margot always wears a mask, but never wore it tight to her face. She does now.

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful shots. You are hardy, out in the cold. And intrepid.

Red said...

Okay , access to water bodies is a big fat issue with me. People should have ready access to shores.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As you know we quite enjoy our daily river view from our 5th floor view. There has been some freezing, much to the dismay of some of the frequent wildlife. However, it has not frozen solid in a few years.

William Kendall said...

I'm fine with walking on canal ice, but I will not walk on river ice.

Joanne Noragon said...

Nice set of pictures.

Rita said...

Not a safe spot to put out a fish house--LOL!
Beautiful! :)

Kay said...

It's all so beautiful but it makes me shiver to look at all that snow and ice.