Monday, February 08, 2021

The Grinning Hooking Guy

A long time ago in a faraway place, Christmas was looming, and we had hooking kits in the house for constructing Christmas stockings. Sue had already made one for me. 


Correctly deducing that the otherwise busy elves were not about to pop by, I took hook in hand. Happily, did I commence the task and a Christmas stocking began to emerge. It turned out that I didn't mind the process at all. We have used both hooked stockings ever since.


These several decades later, lo and behold (which I'll have you know is a proper yuletide phrase), I received a rug hooking kit for Christmas. Now, if I choose, I can sit beside my Merry Winter Crocheting wife, and hook to my heart's content.


The holes are much narrower and more numerous than in the stocking, and the tiny, detailed pattern is not easy to follow with older, dimmer eyes, but I have since made a little more progress than what is visible in the photo.

I can't say that I will progress apace since I seem to have other irons in other fires as well, but even if it takes me a winter or three to complete, it is a project that I intend to continue in due course.





16 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Well done AC. You both look great too.

MARY G said...

Going to be spectacular when you get it done!!!

Ed said...

As a kid, if we were ever sick and out of school for a long period of time, my mother would always go to the store and buy us a rug hooking kit to do. Later, she finally transitioned into plastic model kits but not before I had made probably a handful of rugs.

Barbara Rogers said...

You found a craft I've never tried! And that's saying a lot! Love the photo of you two!

Marcia said...

Never have done rug hooking. I do crochet a bit. Made a bunch of dishrags for the kitchen and a scarf for youngest granddaughter. Sue looks like a pro at crocheting.

Patio Postcards said...

Now that sounds like a productive & fun hobby. Great photo of you both.

gigi-hawaii said...

That looks like a fun activity to do. But, what do you do with the finished project? I guess you could donate it to charity?

Mage said...

I think you two are having lots of fun. I look forward to seeing it grow apace.

William Kendall said...

I'd be out of my depth trying that.

Red said...

Well, they tell us old guys to try something we've never done before. It's supposed to be good for something.

Margaret said...

That's a wonderful photo, and you are crafty! (and patient) My older daughter loves to knit and crochet.

DJan said...

That picture of the two of you with your various projects is priceless! :-)

Jenn Jilks said...

I used to be a hooker!

Joanne Noragon said...

Good for you. It's been years since I did that. I like the look of the afghan Sue is crocheting.

Debby said...

You both are happy hookers from the look of it. Will be interested to see your finished projects.

Rita said...

That will keep you busy for the rest of the winter!
You both are looking great. :)