Wednesday, February 03, 2021

A Plan

You probably don't need to hear about what is happening on our pandemic front, but I'm going to get it down anyway. It is of some importance after all. Please read to the end, where I repost a rant by my daughter on social media.

Yesterday the provincial new case count was way down. From being >3000 not long ago, it was down to 745 yesterday. I understand that some of that was due to a change in counting and reporting methodology, but it is still significant, I think. We'll have to see how the numbers track, but we do know that they were declining before this report.

Also reported yesterday by Prime Minister Trudeau was that Canada is finally going to open a vaccine manufacturing plant, specifically for the Novavax vaccine. Novavax is a Maryland-based company that claims to have produced a 89% effective vaccine in a UK trial and is seeking regulatory approval here in Canada -- and elsewhere as well, I expect.

Hopefully, this will put us less at the mercy of the EU which, quite understandably, puts their own interests first. Both Pfizer and Moderna have cut back shipments recently, but I think in both cases it has been done short term in order to ramp up production in the long term. I don't think the recent drop was particularly political.

Meanwhile, I have been wondering about how we have been doing overall, I did discover some numbers yesterday. These just refer to our local, rural health district.

  • We are still in Stage 1 of the rollout (more about stages, below) -- delivering to long term care residents and staff.
  • Ten more of those sites were completed last week: a total of 645 individuals.
  • Altogether, 1717 people have been vaccinated.
Now, onto The Plan itself.

We are not getting the vaccines delivered as quickly as some countries, but we do have a plan. It is an orderly plan, which is very Canadian. We will all await our turn, which in our (Sue and me) case, as stage 5 (see red text below) people, is projected to be in May at the earliest. I was hoping for April, but with delays by both Pfizer and Moderna, it doesn't appear as though that will happen.

For Lanark, Leeds and Grenville Facebook friends. This is the latest data on the vaccine roll-out, copied from their notice. The whole notice is also available on the Lanark Highlands website.
Stage 1: Long-Term Care Homes/High risk Retirement Homes Staff, Residents and Designated Essential Care Givers
Stage 2: Health Care Workers (HCW) at high risk of COVID-19 exposure (hospital staff, EMS, Medical First Responders, Assessment Centre Staff)
Stage 3: Health Care Workers at lower risk of COVID-19 exposure (those that can apply other public health measures and reschedule if someone doesn’t pass the screening) and residents and staff of congregate living facilities (such group homes, shelters, low risk retirement homes)
Stage 4: Essential Workers (First responders, teachers, food industry, etc)
Stage 5: High Risk population (to be defined by Ministry of Health) and beginning of age cohorting (ages 70+ to start)
Stage 6: All others in Leeds, Grenville and Lanark that are 16 + and would like the vaccine
The Tentative When:
Stage 1:
January – February: First dose*
February – March: Second dose*
Stage 2:
February – March: First dose*
March – April: Second dose*
Stage 3:
April – May: First dose*
May – June: Second dose*
Stage 4:
May – June: First dose*
June – July: Second dose*
Stage 5:
May – June: First dose*
June – July: Second dose*

The timeline comports with what we have been told for awhile: that the delivery might be pretty well completed by about September.

Finally, and also yesterday as is everything in this post, my daughter posted a touching rant.

Our seniors that reside in LTC and retirement homes face more and more restrictions because the general public can’t control themselves and just abide by the rules. 
 
A lot of these seniors are in their 70s and 80s. A lot of them are fully mobile, have access to cars, are independent and although they are perfectly able, they follow the rules and don’t go out, participate in activities, visits friends, hug their families.
 
If you can’t say that you are doing the same, you are the reason that they face more rules and isolation. You are the reason that healthcare workers, front line staff and seniors are facing depression, despair and more.
 
You. Yeah you. Thanks. I haven’t seen my folks aside to drop groceries on their porch. I wear a mask all day at work. I see how our employees are getting So. Worn. Down. I see how our beloved seniors are missing their families. They’re going through hard times and only able to connect over FaceTime. They’re doing it because you can’t be bothered and I’m sick to death of it.

Suck. It. Up!.

20 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

BRAVO to your daughter's rant. I totally agree.

I think we'll be stage 7 for the vaccine! I'm surprised our government hasn't approached GSMK & or Snofi who both have vaccine production lines already; what would it take to modify or add production lines of a proven COVID vaccine. I read that the Novavax is just beginning Phase 3 of their trials - a long way to being ready to go to market.

Barbara Rogers said...

So sorry that Canada seems to be getting a darn rotten deal. Danica said just what needed to be said to all the anti-maskers, anti-vac-ers. A plan is worth thinking about...maybe being realistic. It's a tough time.

Marcia said...

Applause for your daughter.

But you have to wait till Spring to get your vaccine? Wow!

Vicki Lane said...

Good rant. Where I live is full of non-compliant idiots--I rarely go anywhere and that's okay. Our country health dept. has been excellent about getting the vaccine into arms in a timely manner--perhaps because a lot of said idiots are also ant-vaxxers. Due for my second shot next week but I don't expect to change what I'm doing significantly for quite a long time.

Jean Winnipeg said...

the Chair of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority here has just resigned after taking a trip to Arizona---no explanation of the trip has been given. That was yesterdays news.

As I walked yesterday which is what I try and do each day, I passed ---socially distanced--- 2 small groups of people also walking -- I was able to catch part of the conversation from each couple. The topic was the same- they were both discussing how to get somewhere from Winnipeg.



MARY G said...

Yes, a needed and very clear comment on the stupid and careless folk among us. Way to tell it like it is Danica.

Margaret said...

Great rant! I agree 100%. This could be so much better if people would just be sensible and thoughtful. It's certainly not happening enough here. I have no idea when I'll get my vaccine. I'm too young!(when have I ever gotten to say that?) I hope that much more vaccine gets to you and the timeline is moved up.

Marie Smith said...

We can’t complain on this island but I see what’s going on in many parts of the country. What would seniors do if our behaviour was affecting the health and safety of young people?

Christina said...

I am a participant in the UK Novavax trial, which continues to run until October I think, to follow up immunity in the longer term. I have three more appointments (blood tests). I don't know if I am in the placebo arm or the vaccine arm of the trial. It is really good to see that this vaccine is going to be approved soon. Fingers crossed the vaccine roll-out will be efficient and speedy, particularly once there are several types approved.

In the meantime, I think those that don't care now, won't care tomorrow. I really understand Shona's frustration and I hope her post on social media convinces at least some to be considerate and follow the guidelines.

Debby said...

Bravo to your daughter! You know, our elderly are taking a terrible toll. I know of one case where the mother (in the early stages of dementia) mentally declined so rapidly that her frightened family removed her from the facility and brought her home for that human contact which is evidently keeping her grounded mentally. Although she fell and broke her arm almost immediately, she is doing much better mentally.

Another case, an elderly Italian man, was so lost without his large cheerful family dropping in daily that he simply got depressed. My brother in law, a lifelong friend is the head of maintenance at the facility. He said he honestly feels that the man just gave up. He just lost the will to live and wanted nothing more than to be with his wife. He died last week.

It's taking a huge toll, and sadly, there will be no numbers documenting this.

DJan said...

I am 78, and nowhere does it seem I will be able to get a vaccine until next month at the earliest. There are four places in my area to sign up for a shot, but after two weeks of checking every day, there are no appointments available. I try to follow the rules and hope for the best. Canada seems in much the same situation.

Unknown said...

Your daughter said it well.
And congrats on your photos being used!-Kate (S Cafe)

Red said...

Great rant by your daughter. We're going to need lots more of those.

William Kendall said...

I agree with the rant.

I'm stage six, so I won't be seeing a vaccine for months. I accept that. Nonetheless, I'm so tired of the current situation. The light at the end of the tunnel feels so far off.

Joanne Noragon said...

Your daughter's post is excellent. It's no different down here; folks crowding public places, often unmasked and undistanced.

Rita said...

Just as frustrating here in the US.
The tier and sub-tiers are so confusing in North Dakota and we have the same issue of not enough vaccines in the first place. I filled out a form from my clinic and it just said that it could be months. I kind of figured that it would be a long time. Very frustrating.

Jenn Jilks said...

Yes, Stage 5 for you. And my hubby. I just turned 64 so I'll be awhile after that. It's such a political game. Between the Libertarians, antivaxxers, COVID deniers, then the opposition parties who are milking it.

Mage said...

I like that rant a lot. Bravo. I'd like to add, "You do not have to go visit your families by air, train, or bus. Virtual visits will do nicely. Your jaunting off to see mom or grandma is the reason so many of you are in the hospital or dying right now."

Ruth said...

I hear your daughter loud and clear. There are people have no connection to any front line workers and know no one who has been sick. I get frustrated when these people chafe against the mandated restrictions. I am very fortunate to have had 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine and hope that it works against the variants that are circulating. Nice to see you and your family are doing well and that you continue to be a blogger of excellence!

Kay said...

Yay for Shauna! I'm glad she told it like it is. I was thinking Canadians were a LOT better than Americans. But I guess selfish people are everywhere.