Sunday, February 07, 2021

Can You Dig It

If you are the type of viewer who likes a low key, cozy movie, the kind without high speed, car chases and high-wire action, then you might like The Dig on Netflix. (If you click the link, you will get a bit of a trailer.)

Very briefly, the film is about the discovery and unearthing of what has come to be called the Sutton Hoo excavation. It began on private property in England, just prior to WW2, and unearthed a very early Anglo Saxon ship and many other early artefacts.

I love the subject and the history and I think it was all treated very well in this delightful film.

The artefacts, ship and all, were moved to the British Museum after the war.

The Dig has generated much interest in both the early Anglo Saxon period and the archaeological location itself. It is all described well in this article in The Guardian.

================

Because the post is short, permit me to add an absolutely riveting observation about my pandemic haberdashery, which has absolutely nothing to do with The Dig.

It struck me recently that when I get dressed for the day, my outfit is pretty much the same as my nighttime attire -- trackish sort of pants and top. About the only difference is adding socks and underwear for my daytime romping. This is my life in the pandemic.

20 comments:

MARY G said...

We really liked the 'DIG'.

Barbara Rogers said...

It sounds like one I would enjoy a lot! Thanks for the recommendation. I read the article, and will certainly watch the movie soon.

Mara said...

My sister was talking about this show/film the other day. She was seriously thinking about getting Netflix now.

Ed said...

I added "The Dig" to my Netflix streaming list a few days ago but haven't watched it yet. It does sound like something I would enjoy.

gigi-hawaii said...

David mentioned The Dig yesterday. We might watch it, since we like movies in general.

Tabor said...

I wear sweats, or an exercise outfit or pajamas. It is a major undertaking when I have to go somewhere. I have the movie on my server and want to watch...maybe today as we are socked in inches of snow.

Marcia said...

That would be good to watch except we don't get Netflix anymore. Ancient history always intrigues me.

Margaret said...

I read every mystery series I can about archeology, so I know I would like this. John and I have watched the trailer and want to see it. He's not quite as excited as I am. :)

DJan said...

I loved The Dig. I also loved Penguin Bloom about a disabled woman and a magpie. True story also. :-)

Marcia said...

Was just reading Mental Floss email and came across this article about Sutton Hoo.
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/639394/sutton-hoo-ship-burial-facts?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Daily_Newsletter

Really fascinating stuff.

Marie Smith said...

Think I’ll have a look at that movie.

William Kendall said...

That's the first I've heard of it.

The Furry Gnome said...

We just finished watching that show. It was Great!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We also watched this film last eek and thoroughly enjoyed it. Too bad that credit wasn't given where it was due until much later. As for your daytime dress, that's the similar attire here too when there is no need to make a grocery store trip.

Kay said...

We really enjoyed The Dig also. We thought Ralph Fiennes did a fabulous understated performance. We've also been enjoying Miss Scarlet and the Duke.

Olde Dame Holly said...

My lockdown attire is divided between my daytime muumuus and my evening muumuus. Non-slip socks must match the muumuu being worn, as I do have standards to maintain.

Joanne Noragon said...

The Dig was wonderful. I made a note on my calendar of the day it was released on Netflix, and watched it that day. I may watch it again.

Rita said...

I had just added The Dig to my queue. Sounds like it's a good one. :)

PipeTobacco said...

That sounds like an excellent film. We do not (yet) have Netflix, but my wife is nudging me to consider it. This sounds worthwhile to me!

When I first saw the title, it caused a cascade of memories in my mind. “Can You Dig It?” is the name of a psychedelic song from the Monkees written in either 1967 or 1968 if I remember correctly. Your title had that song begin to play in my mind.

PipeTobacco

Karen said...

Going to watch The Dig soon! I'm a closet archaeologist but my better half doesn't care for the subject so I have to chase him off somewhere.