Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Impish Danica Explains Loops

A week before Christmas, the extended family was having a little facetime chat about our holiday plans, but Jonathan was a little late to the session. When he came online, he wanted to tell us that he had updated his Christmas wishlist.

As you have read above, Sue responded by thanking him for keeping us in the loop. (I was not part of the conversation at that point, for I was out at the time, shopping with Alexa and trying to figure out Saint Gibbets Oil, but I caught up a little later.) Anyway, the boy was perplexed at Sue's answer about keeping her in the loop.

We are not born knowing the meaning of idioms, so Danica provided the explanation.


You may have noticed how JJ is named on my messages: Not Favourite Grandkid. This is easily explained by me telling you that Danica got ahold of my phone at some point. For awhile, she had herself listed as Favourite Grandchild, but she was just Danica in this conversation, and he was identified as Not Favoured. She is an imp: a smart imp, but an imp nevertheless.



18 comments:

William Kendall said...

Oh boy!

Tabor said...

Your grands are so much fun. Love that.

Patio Postcards said...

Your grandkids certainly keep you both entertained & amused. One of my many brothers use to call our Mom & identify himself as "it's your favourite child calling". I'm still chuckling over Saint Gibbets Oil.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a fun conversation. I love texting...or whatever that conversation was. My phone adds its own spellings, changing lots of words to its own ideas of things!

Ed said...

I never realized how many expressions we have for saying things without just saying them until I married someone whose native language was not English. I spent the first decade of our our marriage having to explain myself when every other sentence I used turned out to be an expression. I don't have to do that anymore, thankfully, but I still have to correct her once in awhile at how to correctly use those expressions in her speech.

Marie Smith said...

I get the same from our nine year old granddaughter. She is like a sponge, soaking up everything.

You have great sweeties in your life, AC.

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

This really resonates with me AC. I had the devil of a time relating to my 18 yr. old granddaughter, but in all fairness so did she with me. Not only are we many years apart but she also has Asperger's (a high end of autism) and jokes or irony go right by her. Luckily we've actually talked about it together and agreed to always ask for an explanation (on either side) and that has brought up closer as well as making it clear.

gigi-hawaii said...

OK, now that explains everything! Lol.

Margaret said...

I didn't realize how many expressions I had picked up from my parents that were either archaic or specific to their small town. "She's as disorganized as Hogan's goat." "He's as sober as Judge Connell." There are so many idioms that we're not aware we're using. My family always used the expression "string saver" for people who held on to grudges and bitterness. I'm still not sure if that's a real expression or not. Danika has a great sense of humor! It's great to have those inside jokes.

DJan said...

Idioms are fun and, as you said, confusing if you haven't heard it before. :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As confusing as Americans idioms can be when I have not heard them before, I have found that British ones can be even more so and even more entertaining at times. This was a very polite text exchange between your family members as well.

Red said...

Some families know how to have fun.

Joanne Noragon said...

Big sister-little brother shenanigans.

Mage said...

I have a couple of those. They will eventually grow up.

Jenn Jilks said...

They are fun!

Rita said...

So funny! The Grands keep you on your toes. :)

MARY G said...

Definitely your genetic heritage at work. Sorry, can't stop snickering.

Debby said...

LOL. Impish grandkids are a lot of fun. Unless of course, you're homeschooling.