Friday, January 15, 2021

From a Rural Road on a Bleak Day

If we have to go out, which is seldom these days, we usually take the car on a short drive in the country, which begins only a minute or three out of town. With how cold weather can affect battery life and other things (I suppose) it seems like a wise thing to do. It is not a long run, perhaps just 15 minutes, although I confess to not having timed it.

It was a bleak and forlorn day, but I was determined to take a photo regardless. It helps to keep in practice and satisfy a bit of a need.

I stopped on a rural road; this was my first photo. taken from the road which is higher than the field. I suppose that it would have been preferable to get down to fence level, but I was not about the step off the high and dry embankment. My thought was to align the distant tree with the fence post. As is typical, I did not align correctly.


That, as are the rest, is a colour photo. I even enhanced the colour a little in post to bring out a bit of blue in the sky, for the initial image was pretty much b&w. Talk about bleak, eh?

Nearby to the first spot, I found this composition of just trees. I was thinking that the near trees formed a bit of a diagonal leading the the main tree. One tries one's best.


Perhaps you can spot, above, a line of grasses just beyond the stand of trees. That told me that there was a ditch, so I drove a little way up the road to get closer to it.


From a similar spot I took a wider photo and used my artistic licence to bring out the saturation in the grass and water, just to add a little life. I am not sure that I like the result, but I am not exactly enthralled with any of them. However, working the scene and trying my best, scratched my itch, at least a little bit.


Although I know these are far from gallery images, there is something about some of them, at least, that I like well enough. They reflect some of the reality of winter.



19 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I Ike the last two scenes best. Winter is a challenge here too, photographically and every other way.

Patio Postcards said...

I like all your photos. I think your first photo, you did a good job of lining up the tree & post & the 2nd to last photo, I think really shows winter's cold, bare but beauty. I find snow really difficult to photograph, to get the detail especially when I am trying to show the patterns from wind sculpting. I don't own any photo editing software (as yet).

Marcia said...

Your scenes look a lot like around here. Hoping for some fresh snow soon.

Barbara Rogers said...

I like all of these, and they do show your interest in using the verticals for composition in a bleak terrain. The second has a nice "v" effect which adds an arrow to the scene, I think. Glad you made this effort, and shared it too!

Ed said...

100% snow cover and 0% sunlight is a tough combination to capture.

gigi-hawaii said...

Such a bleak environment. I cannot imagine living there. Hawaiian color is so much better. Come to Hawaii.

Margaret said...

I like the last photo best. I would have sworn they were black and white. Even on our dreariest day here, there is lots of green. (but I get tired of taking photos of trees) Good for you for getting out and taking pictures of the landscape. There is a beauty in starkness.

Connie said...

Yes, this is winter in Canada. It is what it is!

Jenn Jilks said...

It is important to get out and play! Good for you!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

A good time to take up birding. Probably lots of my feathered friends just waiting to have their picture taken!

Mage said...

I especially like those pole in the middle photos. They push the envelope.

Joanne Noragon said...

Winter is real enough. Ours has been fairly light; I fear for March and April.

Rita said...

Yup! Looks like winter. White, grey, and brown. ;)

Debby said...

I like the starkness reflected back by the ice.

MARY G said...

50 shades of white today. The wretched stuff is really heavy and I can hear branches snapping. Ah, winter in Eastern Ontario.

Vicki Lane said...

Bleak AND beautiful!

William Kendall said...

I like these.

Kay said...

Your winter scenes make me feel quite nostalgic for Illinois.

Karen said...

Your ditch reminds me of the "mighty" Jock where it meanders through my Mr.'s old family homestead out off Dwyer Hill Rd. It was a torrent when he was a tyke, but now it's just a wet ditch.