Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Cold Snaps in a Cold Snap

My goodness it was cold when we took the car out for yet another warm-up drive on Saturday. It looked so bright and inviting from inside the warm house, but a bright day in January is invariably also a cold day in January. And with a significant windchill, Saturday felt well below zero on both the Celsius and Fahrenheit registers.

I stopped the car on a rural road just long enough to pop out and take two quick snaps during the midst of what my dad called a cold snap. I made two very brief photo snaps and hurried back into the warmth of Hermione the Honda. 

The house was catching very nice light in the low afternoon sun.

This was the barn just behind the house. The birds weren't really there but adding them helped to fill in the clear sky and add balance. I don't do this type of thing often, but the fancy strikes me on occasion. 



18 comments:

Marcia said...

You know you didn't need to tell us you added the birds. I thought they were there already. LOL

Patio Postcards said...

I like your barn photo. The light on the home was so inviting, I can well image how in felt inside the house & hopefully there was a kitty there catching the rays (col).

DJan said...

Very nice cold snaps! :-)

Ed said...

I don't have much luck on really cold days driving around in a nice warm car looking to take pictures. Whenever the camera returns to the car, it fogs up the lens and then takes awhile to rectify when I get back out in the cold. I mostly just go to the first location, take all the pictures I want with the SLR and then it is done for the day. Any other pictures are taken with my pocket phone camera which isn't as susceptible to fogging up.

Marie Smith said...

I’ve wouldn’t know how to add anything to a photo. I am technologically illiterate.

These are great photos. That winter light is beautiful.

Barbara Rogers said...

These are great, and I'm like Ed with my phone in my pocket as I walk around (or just roll down the window in the car) and I have to keep taking my right glove off to just work the phone's commands and press the white button to take a shot. So on really cold (gotta wear gloves) day, there won't be many/any photos! Maybe with spring blooms I'll bring out the little camera which doesn't fit in a pocket!

gigi-hawaii said...

Looks soooo cold.

William Kendall said...

That is the trade off for sunny days this time of year.

Margaret said...

I would never have guessed that you'd added the birds. I didn't know you could do that! You're right that it does create balance to the photo.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

As nice as cold weather photos look when others take them, it has to be a bit warmer than freezing to induce me to get out with my camera. The phone ones are much handier as others have already noted. The addition of the birds was a good one, AC, and that house really stood out.

Debby said...

The house looks warm ` even in the snow!

Rita said...

Nice sunny pics even in the awful cold.
Fake birds, eh? LOL!

Joanne Noragon said...

The light is wonderful on the bricks of that house.

Red said...

Long shadows help to make it look very cold.

Mage said...

Yes, the birds make it. What's on the house roof?

Jenn Jilks said...

You are amazingly creative!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Adding birds is never a bad idea, AC!

Vicki Lane said...

Beautiful! I love the yellow house.