Friday, January 22, 2021

Fone Phun

I have been experiencing fone phun lately, or what some of you might call phone fun. Actually, it isn't all that much fun for those who were brought up on attached, black, rotary, dial phones, which we accessed via a party line. My best recollection is even that didn't even occur until I was 7 years old. I don't think I had even chanced to see or hear of the newfangled, devilish devices prior to that.

I'll try to be brief, but I don't know if I can manage, for I do have a bit of a narrative to unfold.

My cell phone started getting hot -- very hot -- when charging or even after just a few minutes of normal use. Having already replaced the battery once after earlier shenanigans and provocations, I decided that my iPhone6 had fought the good fight, run its course, and was destined for the hereafter..

After dithering and seeking advice, I ordered a new one from Apple -- not the latest and greatest, unless you were to set your clock back a few years.

After several days of keeping the old phone unplugged and safely in quarantine, I decided that I needed to charge it up for the impending switchover. Lo and behold, it did not heat up then. Nor did it heat up later in the transfer process, for which I, thankfully, had help from my tech support SiL.

While not the latest and greatest iteration of phone technology, which could have set me back an additional grand, it is red, and I like red. I have a red winter coat and red caps. Don't ask me why I like red. I just do. I like red so much that I have just ordered long, red, wool socks.

Just Unboxed

Setup was easy peasey, at least at the hands of my expert helper, and I was soon getting used to the workings which differ slightly from my old model. Soon enough, it was bedtime when I often listen to a podcast for a short while before Mr Sandman drops by. 

Before trundling into the dark where my beauteous wife lay in sweet repose, I scrolled to my podcast app and readied the podcast that I wanted to listen to that night. I keep my earbuds by the bed, so all that remained was to plug in the earbuds in the dark once I got into bed. I do that all of the time. It isn't difficult.

But on this newfangled and fandangled device, I could not find the earbud hole in the dark.

I took my spiffy red phone out into the hall, turned on the light, and examined the phone-edges studiously, looking for the appropriate entry.I turned it over and over and around and around.

What the heck?! No earbud opening. At all.

Upon messaging with my personal tech support fella in the morning, he inquired if I wasn't sent one of these (look << thataway) adapters to connect earbuds to the newer phone.

Uh, no! I was only sent a cord that I didn't recognize.

He informed me that I could order one from Apple for $10.

OK fine! But what is the cord that they did send me, which I could not recognize? It was not a USB adapter.

But oh yes, it really was a USB adapter but for the next generation of USB. I think it is called USBc.

No. Of course, they don't send an actual plugin box along with the new style cord. No siree. You have to purchase that box separately as well. Of course you do. Thankfully, I do have my antiquated USB paraphernalia, and it will work with this phone.

Oh, by the way, you can also charge this phone wirelessly. But guess what. That device also costs extra.

Fortunately, I have my personal tech support guy, or I would be lost. What do others do? I suppose if they purchase directly from a store, they would be told and sold all of this stuff in the first place. But how do you go to a store during a lockdown when you are only permitted to shop for essentials?

Anyway, I have ordered the $10 adapter and my old USB connector will work fine. In the meantime, I do have an old iPod which will connect me to podcasts if needed. 

But goodness gracious me oh my! Why oh why must it all be so complicated?




17 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Congrats on the upgrade, AC, and red is a great color choice. Apple no longer provides the charging cube or earphones and, as you noted, newer models use the USB-C charger, also not included with a new phone. That said the charging cable is included, but you can use the older lightning to USB charger as noted. A workaround to not purchasing the small cord to allow use of the corded headphones would be to use a set of bluetooth earphones or ear buds and there are many expensive and inexpensive alternatives available. I also upgraded my cell phone thus week to the smallest iPhone.

Marie Smith said...

And so expensive. So much is incompatible these days. Just imagine how much money is being made on every little $10 piece alone. And all the garbage created as obsolete items are discarded.

Barbara Rogers said...

I made a comment on another blog yesterday about not using a feature that my family member thought I should use. But that's about software (which we used to call it anyway - the programable things that happen with a device) rather than hardware...and you've been slapped silly by the hardware too. My old earbuds work still on my iPad, but not the newer iPhone (which came with it's own set). I seldom use the iPhone set. The old set of earbuds work on the laptop also, so I usually can find them when there's noise in the room and I want to zoom with someone. Yes, it's now a verb in my vocab. OK, I'm running off at the mouth.

Marcia said...

We are captives of our technology. I try to limit my phone use to what a phone used to be used for. I do find that the messaging or texting is a great feature as is the camera. But I refuse to pay for a data plan so that I'm always plugged into the internet. I don't need to be that well connected. Red is a nice color. I have a pink cover around mine.

Marty said...

Ah, the familiar two steps forward, one back, of technology. (Or is it the other way around?)

DJan said...

I have an iPhone 7 and am thinking of upgrading to a newer (but not the newest) phone. Congrats on your new purchase. :-)

Ed said...

Growing up in an extremely rural area, we had party lines clear up to 1990. Even to this day, the lines cannot support the internet and so special lines have to be run to a box that sits on a fence post and can support up to four neighbors, all with slow internet that can't be used to stream anything.

I too had an iphone 6 and it was prone to hot flashes as I called them. I long ago discovered that it was due to some internal programming issue and was solved by turning it completely off and then back on. But I still tired of having to charge it up two or three times a day (even with the new battery I replaced a couple years back) and being a light user, so I upgraded late last year to the 12 pro. As someone who now mostly takes photographs with my phone because I always have it with me and in my pocket, it was worth the extra price over going with an older model. The 12 takes absolutely stunning photos.

I too have had to upgrade my accessories which hasn't pleased me towards apple. They said they were saving the world's landfills by not providing them and yet I am tossing years of accumulation into the landfill to by the next generation of accessories.

gigi-hawaii said...

David bought an iPhone recently. It's his baby. I don't know how to use it. If he dies, Maria will have to show me how to use it.

Margaret said...

Ah, a lightning adaptor. I use one to connect my headphones to my phone. Just as an FYI, they go bad, so be prepared to re-buy them. I dread getting another phone. My Iphone 7 doesn't hold the charge very well these days, so I know it will soon be time. John is a tech guy and will help me, but I hate trying to remember which apps I need to download and the general unfamiliarity of it all. By the way, your sweater is awesome!

Mage said...

I aagr3ee with red. I have red shoes, a red backpack, and a red hat. LOL I'm ready.

I do not have an Apple phone. We here, in the wilds of Southern California, have Androids. And to make it really worse, I never use mine.

MARY G said...

Alas for the rotary dials of yesteryear. I have no idea what my phone can do ... it travels with me in the car in case of problems on the road, and I do not use it otherwise. Unless. Unless my daughter sends me text messages on it. The younger generations cannot fathom how difficult the technology is for those of us who do not have a techie to help.

William Kendall said...

Of course I had to look for the earbud plug on my phone, but I've ever used it with earbuds.

Red said...

Ain't new hi tech stuff grand! New high tech stuff has improved my swearing ability by many times.

Kay said...

I'm going to guess you have the 10 or the XR. It's really annoying that you now need an adapter for the headphones. I didn't realize that when I got on the airplane 2 years ago. I really like my XR though. The thing with Apple is that they give you the phone, but you end up needing to get things like the charging adapter or whatever. Arrrghhhh... I bought the AirPods and it came with the charging wire, but not the adapter. Sheesh!

Joanne Noragon said...

I like red no matter what color it is. Figuring out new technology is a pain.

Vicki Lane said...

I feel your pain. I'm in the midst of setting up a new computer. Re red--surely you need red long johns! My husband used to have a pair, complete with drop seat.

Rita said...

I love red, too!
Without my tech support (son and DIL) I would have been totally and completely lost so many times I couldn't count. They keep my phone functional and my laptop and my laptop talking to my TV screen--LOL! I do not know how people do it who don't have someone in the family who takes pity on them--LOL! ;)