Wednesday, January 06, 2021

A Shoot in the Snow

It finally snowed, so Sue and I went for a little walk in O-Kee-Lee Park. It is a small and woodsy park that we don't visit often. When I describe it as woodsy, much of it is very scrubby and not terribly photogenic. This is not your classic English woodland. I took a longer lens and thought that I would look for little shapes in the chaos. Mostly, however, they were in shade and/or in a congested patch.

This is one that worked fairly well, but I still had to clone away a few distractions.


Still looking for little things, this is another but lesser attempt at the river edge -- just shapes and textures.


Sue was enamoured with light gleaming on the ice, so I obliged her by attempting a photo. I knew it would be a tough shot because the sparkles were terribly bright. To not have them appear as just pure white nothingness in the photo, I had to underexpose by a lot so that the rest of the scene became as dark as night although it was bright out. I did not convert the photo to B&W; this is the colour version.


I did take a few photos along the trail. This one is pleasing enough. Although there is much messy detail, I think the snow-laden, main subject stands out well enough.


Another tree (or a group) is a most interesting shape although with my long lens, I am not sure that I was able to get the best vantage point. Still, it is good enough.


Sue sat on a stump and had a moment of contemplation.


Then, she had a text from Shauna asking if we needed anything at the store.


I enjoyed the shoot in the snow, of which we have had very little this year, and there's not much in the 14-day forecast either at this point.



11 comments:

DJan said...

Very nice shots. I especially like the one of Sue on a log, and those pretty nature scenes, too.

Ed said...

That tree makes me want to get a good head start and run up as far as I can. But at my age I know that would result in a trip to the hospital.

gigi-hawaii said...

That shot of the tree in the midst of the group of trees looks stunning. I like the whites.

Patio Postcards said...

So many shades & colours of white in winter's snow - you have done well to capture. I need to get myself out for a winter woodland walk & practice.

Barbara Rogers said...

I like the first 2 shots best, very artistic. Of course I agree, this winter has been bleak as far as snow goes. We're due for some on Fri. morning maybe.

Marie Smith said...

Love how you went out and enjoyed nature as much as you could. Great shots!

Margaret said...

I'm always entranced by trees in the snow, but also enjoy the one of Sue thinking on the log. And I love her hat!

William Kendall said...

The first is my favourite.

Blondi Blathers said...

Nice pics! I particularly like the first one. -Kate

Rita said...

What great pictures!!
Love a little white on the ground in the winter. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done. We've the girls next week, so we're taking it easy this week!