Tuesday, January 05, 2021

My Camera is Missing Hockey

I wrote this post before Christmas but events kept pushing it to the back of the queue. I have since taken a few photos (such as the ones you have seen with Danica), but I didn't get out much for quite a long time before that.

I am missing hockey or at least my camera is missing Jonathan's hockey games. While I do miss the game and seeing Jonathan play, I guess that I mostly miss the photography that goes with the hockey. 

It's winter and while there are winter photo-ops to be had around and about, I haven't been drawn to them so far this year. Besides, I have been waiting for snow of which there has been little. We did have a decent fall over the weekend, so I will have some winter photos to post tomorrow.

I recently had a plan to go downtown early in the morning to photograph the lights before there was much traffic. To that end I arose at 4:30, looked outside, knew it was cold (what else is new?), so back to bed went I. Then I thought I would go early that evening. I didn't.

It seems that at age 73, I am less eager to wander, so I dither and stay home. It is not only the cold that dissuades me, but I also grow more leery of night driving, and let's face it, we are in the time of very long nights.

While I haven't totally appreciated shooting hockey games through thick plexiglass or whatever that barrier is, at the very least it gave me something photographic to do in winter, without having to deal with the cold and dark outdoor environment.

Alas, there is no hockey this year, at least not as we have come to know it. There has been no league play, only practices and controlled scrimmages to which the public is not invited. Now, even that modest bit of hockey has been halted for most of January under the new pandemic regulations.

There is no good reason for me being so reluctant to get out and about. It is not that I am infirm for goodness sakes, and I do manage to drive, but I am hesitant regardless. A swift kick in the derriere might do me some good. Or maybe a crosscheck with a big ole hockey stick would knock some gumption into me.

This was my final photo of JJ in the final game that I photographed back on March 01 2020. We had no clue then of what was about to transpire.




15 comments:

Marcia said...

I can see why your camera misses it. That's a great photo!

Barbara Rogers said...

From action photos...to no action, no photos. Sorry about that. I keep asking my grands what kind of exercise they are getting. Apparently my youngest one was playing indoor hockey until they lost their coach...so it doesn't seem like she is able to do that about now. Middle grand of that family prefers swimming, and it's also limited. Their oldest is teaching cheer leading to middle schoolers, now that she's herself in college. I worry about all of them being out there. Where do they wear masks? I hope they make safe decisions.

Ed said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks something is a great idea by the light of day but changes his mind after looking out the window at dark thirty on a winter morning.

Marie Smith said...

We are so innocent in March!

A Cuban In London said...

That's such a great photo. In years to come it will be a witness to the events that unfolded thereafter.

Here's the link for you. Sorry it didn't work from my blog. :-)

https://medium.com/illumination/urban-diary-848dbace4072

Greetings from London.

MARY G said...

I miss gymnastics shoots. It took a lot of watching to get the routines down so as to anticipate the good shots, but the gyms were nice and warm. In hockey, you do not have that planning advantage. Makes me appreciate your good action shots a lot. Cold fingers and no warning. Phew.
At least we do not have arctic temperatures this last while, and I am sure the snow will arrive and become photogenic soon.

Margaret said...

That's a wonderful shot and I can understand why you enjoyed it. The games also gave you the motivation to get out there and take pictures. Most of us are missing that right now. Not a lot to get up for these days. (especially in the cold and dark)

Shammickite said...

My grandie hockey players had to stop playing in March, then were able to hold a few distanced practices in October and November, and now its all shut down again, such a rotten shame. What a nightmare for the coaches and organisers, not to mention the parents of disappointed kids.

DJan said...

That's a great shot. I cannot drive in the evenings when it's raining because of the glare and my AMD keeps me from seeing all that well. But when the sun is shining, or even if it's earlier enough in the day, I can see quite well. :-)

Mage said...

That's a nice shot. You are right. At 79, I too am reluctant to move about much. It will be my downfall if I don't.

Red said...

Well, I'm going to give you some info. You've got to up your game a notch or two. Get out there when it's cold and take those photos. !!! 73? Your OK . And 81 is fine too!!! It's too bad that so many activities have had to be cancelled.

Jenn Jilks said...

I've sorta lost my energy, as well. It's such an emotional toil.
I just cannot motivate myself to get up for that. Red's told you off, though, so maybe that'll get you going!!! ROFL

Rita said...

Action shots are hard to do well and I can see why you miss it. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

How I sympathize. I am too unsure of footing to do much out and abouting.

Debby said...

I had plans to go to visit my youngest daughter to celebrate her 30th birthday with her in Georgia last January. She talked me into waiting until later in the spring. She was afraid that winter weather would make it hard to travel around.

We agreed to wait until March.

Every time I think of that, I get a little teary eyed. You're right. We had no idea of what was going to transpire.