Sunday, January 03, 2021

Danica's Sleepover

Now that I have written of Jonathan's sleepover, it is Danica's turn, and it goes differently.

As I have written previously, Danica is not a gamer (and she's not a tv person either) although she willingly joins in when both she and JJ are here.

So ... what to do with the girl?

Well, one of my Christmas gifts was a renewal of my Ancestry subscription, but when I had first logged in, I had noticed that Danica's information was a little screwgie (as my Dad might have said). Her father wasn't listed on the chart at all, and her mother was listed as her father. I couldn't fix it in the short time that I had before her visit, so I gave her control of the computer and let her go to it. 

Genealogy interests Danica more than anyone else in the family and always has.

I was able to get up while she fiddled with this and that, including updating genealogical data on her own site, and I wandered downstairs for a few moments. I told Sue that Danica was so much quicker than I. She quickly grasped what needed to be done and did it in lickety-split time. Her mind is sharper than mine for sure . . . but I can still help her with her math on occasion.  :)

(Speaking of kids being sharper than adults, I am reminded of the time when I was waiting for my fiddle lesson as a beginner around the age of 60 and could hear a young girl's earlier lesson through the door. She sounded good, so when I got it, I observed to the teacher that the kid sounded better than I. She just shrugged and said, "But she's a kid," as it it was the most natural thing in the world.)

Danica had received clip-on lenses for her phone, so we played around with those. The fisheye was fun.


And the macro lens got her really close. This bird was just a small part of a Christmas card, and I didn't have to crop it.


But as much as she likes her phone camera, she also likes to use her (my old) DSLR, so when we went for a late afternoon stroll, that's what she brought. This was the walk where we shot the Cold Moon that I previously posted.

The water by the footbridge was frozen, so she descended with the camera.




After supper, we went out, along with Sue, to photograph lights downtown and elsewhere. Here we are on main street discussing camera settings.



We went to the river to photograph lights and reflections across the way. In the photo, she had walked down the ramp, almost to the water's edge.


While there, she posed with the estimable, Roy Brown.


Both Sue and I experienced some emotions when it was time to part ways with Danica on the next day. Having the kids at the end of the pandemic year was such a treat and the very best Christmas gift. They were so caring to isolate for us and make the visits possible, but now we are back to pandemic rules with more distanced visits when they can be arranged at all.



16 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What another wonderful visit you had with one of your grands. It’s amazing how much both have grown and Danica is a lovely and talented young woman. You are all so fortunate to have been able to spend time together and share mutual interests.

Mara said...

How nice to see she is so interested in her ancestry. I sure hope she gets further than I did for you. For me the British system was so different from the Dutch system of records, it made it quite tough.

Hope to see a lot more visits very soon.

Barbara Rogers said...

What a truly wonderful way to start the year. So glad Danica enjoys photography too, as well as genealogy. She's got some good genes there!

Anvilcloud said...

Mara. I am making some progress. I’ve been finding Scottish roots in my maternal great grandmother line. With her maiden name being Drew, I was expecting some, but I didn’t know how much. That line has a lot.

Vicki Lane said...

Sounds like a terrific visit. And what a beauty she is!

gigi-hawaii said...

How nice to share common interests with your granddaughter. What a blessing!

Margaret said...

What great relationships you have with your grandchildren! I love Danica's interest in genealogy(me too!) and her passion for photography. Those lenses are quite something!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Buck up! You had a great visit and there will be more to come. She seems to be a lovely girl.

DJan said...

It looks and sounds like it was a very enjoyable visit. They must love you a lot to be willing to quarantine in order to see you! Thanks for sharing this.

Marcia said...

Both grandchildren have made some important memories that they will treasure all their lives.

Marie Smith said...

I hope this pandemic will be over in the next six months, AC. It will, won’t it?

Red said...

You like to see kids get involved with things that will carry on to adult life.

Rita said...

What a wonderful visit. Yes, the kids are faster with technology, for sure. Maybe she will take up the family tree work. Nice they they did the quarantine time so they could come and visit! :)

Joanne Noragon said...

You are rightful bone proud of those two youngsters.

MARY G said...

Lucky you! Great kids. Ours produced a large jar full of amazing cookies for her grandfather and a set of macrame decorations for me. When she found the time, I cannot imagine. Perfectly done.
And I can't win at Monopoly either. Or Uno. Sigh. Have you tried them on Cribbage?

Bohemian said...

What a wonderful visit! Ancestry has fascinated me and since we had Adoptions in the Family on Dad's side {his Father being a mixed race Halfbreed Indian Foundling and the proverbial Doorstep Baby of the distant Past} I was curious about our Origins on his side. Family Storytelling on the Native American side being very liberally parsed out with much embellishments as Good Storytelling tends to be on the Rez, I wanted to know more. Ancestry did the DNA thing and it came back as 21% of Unknown Origin... that made The Man laugh and say that he was fairly certain I was not Human or of this World! *LMAO* The only thing I can think of is that Tribal lineage on Dad's side is Unknown and likely East Coast unregistered Tribes that got no Rez of their own and were thus transplanted to Oklahoma to live on the Cherokee Rez where all his Relatives ended up and still reside? But, it was funny...