Sunday, January 10, 2021

Why in Tarnation

Why in tarnation were Sue and John watching tv on a small computer in the den on uncomfortable chairs and not in the comfy living room on the big screen? Since they were not doing that, why were they then watching on the little laptop with poor sound and not the big monitor just behind it?


No, we haven't lost our minds, not completely anyway, although recent occurrences aren't exactly helping our sanity. 

For about the past month, something has happened to either our internet or tv system, or actually both. Our internet has been known to drop for hours, and whether that or something else affected our Apple TV Box is yet to be determined. Whatever the case, we can't stream on the big tv.

Until recently we could stream alternatively on my computer -- when we have had internet, that is  -- but I did something or other to the sound system, and now there is no sound coming through the speakers. Nothing.

With one program that we wanted to watch, Endeavour Series 6, episode 4, about to be dropped from the streaming lineup that we are using, we did what we had to do. We set up the little laptop and strained our ears because the volume emanating forth was not exactly thunderous.

We do have a little external speaker that we can plug in. We have taken it to the park to listen to podcasts or music in good weather. But we couldn't find it that evening.

All in all, three things went wrong: Apple TV, the sound system on my computer (with the big monitor), and the inability to find the portable speaker.

On the next day, we did find the speaker, and we can use it on my computer, so we did have a bigger screen and better sound for the next viewing: Endeavour Season 7, episode 1.

Still ... two out of the three problems remain. We are looking into them, but it has been ongoing and frustrating to get it all sorted with various phone calls and texts to various parties occurring.

12 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I'm so sorry!
It rather sounds like the disaster of our turkey!

Shammickite said...

Technology problems, ugh! Life can get very complicated when we can't see our favourite TV shows!!!

Marie Smith said...

Life was so simple with a black and white tv and rabbit ears.

gigi-hawaii said...

It is terrible to have such problems. Hope they are resolved shortly.

Barbara Rogers said...

So sorry you all have the "real time but you thought you had technology under control" bug. I hope you recover soon...somehow. I have an old printer, which only works to scan still...but it is only connected to an old laptop which doesn't work either...so my thought now is...should I toss it or pay to have at least the memory from the old laptop saved? Who really cares? Well, I don't want the old laptop information about me to just go to anyone. We didn't receive proper educations I figure, which included technology 101. But hey, there was pretty limited technology when we were coming up! Do you remember Walkmans? All kinds of taped things? Ah...being born pre-tech.

Margaret said...

Ugh, technology! It sounds like a lot went wrong which is frustrating. You managed with what you had in a creative way. I wonder if that's a new season of Endeavour that I haven't seen. Hmmm. I'll have to look at that.

Kay said...

Oh ouch! I'm sorry you're having these problems. We've seen Endeavor up to Season 7. Waiting for Season 8 this year.

Joanne Noragon said...

I hope you get it sorted son.

Rita said...

LOL! I have been in situations like this in the past and it is very frustrating...but I was as determined as you two! I hope you get things figured out.

Red said...

Computer problems are maddening because there's little we can do to solve the issue.

DJan said...

Hope you get it sorted out. There are so many programs I'd like to watch, but I have to pick and choose. I read up on what this one is, and it sounds really interesting! :-)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Talking to support folks is an ordeal onto itself, which is why thankfully we haven't had similar experiences in recent years. The one thing we can be assured about when calling Apple Support is that the representatives are located within the U.S. and so trying to understand a dialect isn't an issue. The exception sometimes being when we speak to a representative in a southern state, which is still a delight as we lived in southern VA for many years.