Sunday, January 17, 2021

The Biggest Snowfall So Far

It finally happened. Yesireebob! It snowed and it was a good 'un.

It's not the first snowfall of the year, but it has been a few weeks since the last one, and there hasn't been much snow overall this winter. It was also the biggest fall of the winter -- so far. It was wet and heavy too, so it stuck to the trees for quite awhile as you are about to see.

From the back window in the morning.


Our road a few hours later when we went out for a walk.


Mom and kids building a fort up the street a way.


Snow removal on a side street. By the time we got back to the house, he had done ours too. That was the second pass of the morning, and our driveway had been plowed again when I awoke at 4:30 this morning. We have tried a number of snow-removal contractors over the past few years, but this one seems to be the best. As I look outside, I see that our neighbour hasn't been plowed yet this morning by the contractor that we used for two years.

The two footbridges in the park. I have a better photo of the second bridge from last year, but this is my best of the first bridge.



Past that second bridge I looked way across the river with my telephoto zoomed out quite a lot. You can barely see the house in the picture. This is what it was like, especially with much overcast space between me and the subject.


Naturally, Sue was my companion. I like the second photo of the two ladies photographing in opposite directions. As they passed each other a moment later, Sue realized that they had both bought their hats from the same lady in town, so the two made a little connection. The other lady also noticed that Sue had appended a crocheted flower (her own doing) to hers.




And that, was our biggest snowfall of this winter to date.


19 comments:

Haddock said...

Wow.... like that scene of the kids enjoying making a fortress.

Marcia said...

We had the same system come through here but it was mixed - snow and rain and rain won out. Funny thing is that the rain never melted the snow on the ground. Overnight last night we got a dusting of snow so the ground is white. Sue looks well prepared for snow weather.

Barbara Rogers said...

Great snow pics...Loved the one of the 2 women taking photos in diff directions. Art-wise, I would vote for first bridge...just cause. So glad you got pretty show!

gigi-hawaii said...

All that snow! It looks very pretty. I like Sue's outfit.

Ed said...

Although I love where I live on the outskirts of town with little traffic, the one drawback is that it isn't anywhere near someplace with trails or sidewalks for that matter. As a result, we don't get a lot of winter walking in unless we drive somewhere first.

MARY G said...

Love the Sue on the bench shot. I just went out to try and get a photo or two with the sun out and found that I had left the memory card in the computer. AAAAArg.
I'm not a robot, but I may need AI soon.

Marty said...

Somehow, a bundled-up walk in fresh snow can make a person resent the inconvenience a little less.

Anvilcloud said...

MaryG: I have done that more than once.

Margaret said...

Snow is so beautiful--clean, fresh and quiet. It looks like you're well set up with snow removal and warm clothing in which to take walks. I would need a whole new wardrobe!

DJan said...

It really is lovely. And Sue looks great out there in the snow. Thanks for the wonderful pictures. :-)

Kay said...

OH MY GOSH! That is a LOT of snow! I loved seeing every one of your photos. Sue makes a great subject for your snow photos.

Marie Smith said...

You certainly did get covered. May as well make the most of it and get out.

Rita said...

I'm jealous! We haven't had much snow this winter. Still waiting for a good dumping. :)

Joanne Noragon said...

And thanks, it's snowing outside my window right now!

Christina said...

This looks like proper snow! I do love a good dumping of snow. Sadly, we are back to rain here.

William Kendall said...

We got it in the city too.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Ok I am officially so envious, AC, because you had snow and all we had was a dreary and very rainy Saturday. Walking in freshly fallen snow is something we’ve always enjoyed and hopefully will do again before winter ends.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Wow you got quite a bit more than we did, here in the southern tranquil and serene part of the province! My daughter in Ottawa got buried too!

Debby said...

What a great mother, out there building a snow fort with her children! We've had a steady snow for the past 48 hours. My town looks a lot like yours!