Thursday, November 12, 2020

The Last Hurrah

It is over as of today, but we just had about a week of historic weather. This time, the historic weather was good.

Lasting as long as it did, our November warm spell was really a 1 in 100 year event, or close to it. I read that we had similar temperatures in the 1930s, but I don't know if the warm interlide lasted as long then.

Parks and recreational areas that normally would have almost been forgotten in most Novembers were quite busy. While folks were, perhaps, not quite as euphoric as in the first warm spell after a long Canadian winter, we were, nevertheless, pleased and grateful.

On Tuesday morning, when I looked at the forecast, I realized that it would almost certainly be our last day for a park meetup. I seized the opportunity and invited Nick for a final (I presume) outdoor coffee klatch. This necessitated hauling out and unbagging the portable lawn chairs that we had already put away for the winter, but it seemed a small price to pay.

Nick lives somewhat close to the park, and he likes to walk, so I stopped for coffee for both of us, set up the chairs, and still had time for a selfie while I waited for him.

Nick arrived; I put away the phone, and we chatted. While I am not a great chatterer, Nick is never lost for words, so we had a fine hour or so.

While I didn't take any other photos on that day, Sue and I had walked the park just a few days earlier.

Even the fallen leaves will soon lose their colour

The birch trees across the river are ever appealing

That photogenic tree that hangs over the river.
Part of it broke off earlier this year.


17 comments:

DJan said...

Nice selfie! And I envy you the wonderful weather you're having. I'm going to be walking in the rain again today. :-)

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

CUTE SELFIE ... I needed that nice good morning today! It's absolutely pouring rain here.

Barbara Rogers said...

After days of rain, and inches deep of fallen leaves everywhere I walked, finally today looks dry. And the maintenance guy has a new machine on his back which whirrs away as he blows the wet leaves off the walks and porches. So when I took the trash out I was able to walk on wet sidewalks without leaves coming in the house with my feet. Love your selfie, and the tree over the river!

Ed said...

Warm streaks in November is one of the rare pluses of global warming.

Shammickite said...

Yes that was a lovely week of summer weather. I even retrieved some summer Tshirts out of the storage box in the basement. Back to cooler temperatures today, and meeting with my art group in the park, must remember to take a blankie.

Jenn Jilks said...

You have such a good eye for photography. I admire that.
I really miss friendships. Trying times... I'm so happy we have the girls next week.

Margaret said...

It was nice enough to mow my lawn and rake yesterday and now we have a stretch of rain for about a week, changing to showers. Typical November for us. Glad you fit in a last coffee get together.

William Kendall said...

That last tree is quite one for enduring.

Mara said...

When I got my first glimpse of the bw photo, I thought: oh no, the good weather changed and now you have snow! Turns out it was only a bw photo.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I think that the good weather in November has been especially pleasing since November is often one of the dreariest months of the year; fall has not quite given up on us, winter hasn't properly arrived. Two days ago it was 25 degrees here. Unbelievable!

Marie Smith said...

We weren’t as warm as your temperatures but it was a nice interlude.

gigi-hawaii said...

Great that you were able to have a nice chat with a friend in the park. Enjoy the weather while it lasts.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, it's over. I need my warmer hoodie.

Red said...

We had a very warm spell for the end of Oct. but then winter hit us with a bang.

Debby said...

We've had some lovely November weather as well. We have taken full advantage of it. I savor my little meetings with friends more in these strange days.

troutbirder said...

Is that the famous Canadian Mississippi River there?

Rita said...

Nice selfie and love that broken tree for some reason. Yes, our warmer weather disappeared and it's been very cold again. Glad you got a chance to grab some outdoor visiting time before it's freezing outside! :)