Saturday, November 28, 2020

Past Cottage Photos

I am not getting out and about much lately to take new photos. It is November after all. Although we have had some snow to lift the landscape a bit from the bleakness of bare trees, I haven't been too inspired to head out with the camera.

But I have done some looking through old images, usually ones that I bypassed at the time.

We last visited the cottage owned by extended family in autumn 2018. Changing conditions likely mean that will have been the last visit.

But I did take many photos back then, and although I edited many at the time, I have found a few that I had neglected.

This is one. It's of the rapids on Eels Creek.

The background (above) was in fall colour, but along with its brightness it was distracting me from the flow of the water, so I converted it to mono, darkened the background, and highlighted the whitewater.

The next image is just a bit of grass with a touch of frost.

Once one gets into the bushier hinterlands, red squirrels become dominant. The grays and blacks of the urban areas are nowhere to be seen -- at least not by me. This reddy was on a birdhouse across the lane from the farmhouse where we were staying.

That autumn, my sister-in-law set up various scenes with seeds etc to attract blue jays for photo ops. I got quite a few photos. This is one that I had previously overlooked.

We had a lot of fun with the jays and various fun feeding stations. At the time, I did post of some of the setups that Heather created: The Blue Jays Many Splendid Eating Venues. There, you can see the rest of this setup, but there are other creations, including a village. 




16 comments:

Mara said...

Oooh, love the squirrel and the blue jay. When I take my walks, I will see some birds, but they are always on the move. Perhaps one day.

DJan said...

Nice photos. I also like the squirrel with his tail running up his back. You are a talented photographer.

Barbara Rogers said...

Cool blue jay having a snack thrown into the air! I looked at what you did with your sister's setups two years ago...all of which are very original looking shots of blue jays! Keep on taking interesting photos. Nature starts right outside your front door! (I'm telling myself the same thing!)

Marcia said...

Your sister in law was quite creative. Amazing that the birds found the seeds so quickly. Sometimes it seems it will be days before a bird or two will find a new feeder.

Though I won't be posting until we've moved in I will continue to try to visit my favorite blogs - yours being one of those. I did wonder if Sue also has a blog?

Margaret said...

Love the water picture and the blue jay. It's almost like he's posing! Great photos!

gigi-hawaii said...

That is a beautiful photo of the blue jay. Classic. I have never seen a jay in person.

Jenn Jilks said...

Great idea. So many photos, so little time!
We'll be through winter before you know it!!!

Marie Smith said...

A squirrel and a blue Jay. Perfect!

Tabor said...

These are all so creative and original.

Red said...

We're lucky that we don't have gray or black squirrels. we have the reds in town...lots of them.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That blue jay certainly had some good taste in choice of drinks or rather your SIL did. The lighting on both the bird and squirrel was great. Yes, it is hard to get inspired some days when there is no urge to get out. Thanks for the look back on some of your favorites.

Joanne Noragon said...

A lot of nice pictures. I hope we can see the rapids in colors, too.

Rita said...

Especially love the squirrel and the blue joy! :)

Kay said...

I love how you captured the flow of the water. That blue jay in mid catch is amazing!

Ed said...

I am more of a landscape photographer but really love photographing water scenes like your first picture.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I would have loved to have sampled what was in that jug originally!