Saturday, November 14, 2020

Little Photos

While we are still eschewing restaurants, we do sometimes drop into the cafe, Visits aren't long, and the place isn't exactly congested, so we take our chances. Since I display some of my prints there and because the owner is local and has struggled during the pandemic, it seems like the right thing to do.

I never expect to sell prints, but it does happen on occasion, and we noticed that this one was gone.

As always, I was a bit surprised to sell a print but particularly this one because it very low key (ie dark) and doesn't look as good to me on the wall as opposed to the computer. But someone liked it. You never can tell.

Strangely enough however, I had planned to hang the same print at my other gallery (if you can call it that, which you can't, but it sounds good). I left it in context in the photo, so that I can know just where it is a hanging a month from now, or even tomorrow in the case of my lame brain. Speaking of a month, I should really get some winter photos ready to display.

After taking that print to the gallery yesterday morning, I drove by what we call the back bridges and thought that I may have spotted a potential photo in passing. I drove home for my camera and returned. It turns out that what had caught my eye in passing wasn't really that promising. 

However, there were bits of colour lingering here and there, and since I was there, I tried a few compositions. At this point, one tends looks for smaller scenes because the grand ones are long gone: like this little tree, nestled under a larger one.


Just a leaf on a branch with the river and trail bridge blurred in the background.


A bush framed by the arcing branches of a larger tree with a carpet of fallen leaves before it.

As modest as these photos are, there is something satisfying about finding these little, non-obvious opportunities and having them turn out as well as they have.

14 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

And thus art is created...the non obvious opportunities. I don't know if you would be a fan, but today is Monet's birthday. My favorite today of yours is the leaf, with the last one as a close second in my humble opinion!

DJan said...

I think you have a good eye for composition, and I too like the last one very much. :-)

Ed said...

We never ate out much before this ordeal and that still continues to be the case now. When we do go out, we go at an early hour before the evening crowd is getting off work and largely have the places to ourselves.

Perhaps I should have become a photographer. Whenever I pick up my good camera and lug it with me somewhere, I always discover opportunities for photos that I never really paid attention to without the camera. Something about having a camera in your hand focuses your attention to the smallest of details.

Marcia said...

I liked the leaf best, too.

Vicki Lane said...

I love the leaf close up. These little things . . .

gigi-hawaii said...

Congratulations on making the sale. You must be very proud and rightly so.

Margaret said...

I adore that night scene! I think that the small photos are sometimes the most satisfying. I like how it forces us to focus on those hidden beauties.

Marie Smith said...

I enjoy finding those scenes in nature. You have a great eye for those scenes, AC.

Mage said...

Little magic windows.

Red said...

Keep on looking. It's very satisfying to succeed.

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, pretty little parts to pick out.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The unexpected moments often turn out to be the most fortuitous as in the case of thrse images.

Doris Potter said...

That first photo (blue) is just stunning! Congratulations on your sale.

Jenn Jilks said...

We are avid eater outers. This has been tough. Our local CC's is closed. I don't know what they are doing.
Congrats on selling a photo! That is exciting!