Tuesday, November 24, 2020

My Helpful Daily Reminder

We have had Alexa for almost two years now, it first being a Christmas present. If memory serves, we later purchased a second unit for downstairs. I was then gifted a third Alexa last Christmas: one that has a screen and connects with the doorbell that I was also gifted. 

The doorbell has a camera which, in theory, should come in handy when we are upstairs and the bell rings. The problem is that once we hear the ring, Alexa takes a little too much time to connect, so I don't use it for that function often. Still, it does warn when someone approaches the door, and I can also hear the ring up in my den, so it is still very helpful.

Other than that, I haven't used Alexa to her potential. About the only regular thing that we have her do is to ask the trivia question of the day. I don't always manage that because the reminder comes on the downstairs machine, and we are both usually upstairs in the morning, I in my den and Sue in her computer corner in the bedroom.

I have more recently, however, asked Alexa to remind me to do morning exercises. Since I can easily spend a day forgetting, this helps, and I have been much more consistent. Assuming that I don't have another morning chore, I exercise around mid-morning. But if I have something else scheduled, it will also tend to be mid morning, so I will eschew exercising on that day. If it is like today, however, I will at least get out to the grocery store and get some exercise trudging the aisles.

I do a few stretches followed by an in-place one mile walk (as in the video, below). On alternate days, I do a few lifts with 5lb hand weights. With a bad foot, I find it easier to walk in place that walking outside, seemingly because lifting the leg is easier than pushing off to stride forward.

The routine is on YouTube and is 15 minutes long. I will post it below. There are other routines that can be found, but this is enough. It is something anyway.

I do have another helpful Alexa thing to post about, but I will plan to do that tomorrow as this post is long enough for one day. As we are more secluded in winter, blog topics may be harder to come by, so splitting the topic will give me filler for another day.


13 comments:

Marcia said...

I use that same video to walk. I also use some of her 2 mile walks. For other exercises check our Curtis Adams some of those you can do seated. He has his programs geared to seniors. I'll be doing one of those today in a few minutes.

Barbara Rogers said...

Good show...you're walking much more than I do! I have also found some Qui Gong exercises that supposedly help with my breathing. Your various versions of Alexa should help with any diminished functions...like up and down stairs. I'm really glad I can still go up and down the 5 outside my front door. Now to find some weights (I'm a 2 pounder!)

DJan said...

I have both 5- and 8-lb weights, but it's been a long time since I've done much upper body exercise. I need to get back to it, so thanks for reminding me. :-)

gigi-hawaii said...

I don't have an Alexa. Don't know that I need one. But, hey, you obviously love Alexa since you have three. Lol.

Margaret said...

I don't use my Alexa to her potential, but also do the question of the day. (which I enjoy as part of my daily routine) It's good that you manage to exercise, even with your bad foot.

Mage said...

I will let you know if I can do the walk.

William Kendall said...

Admittedly I would never want an Alexa.

Ed said...

We have an Alexa and two dots that we mostly use for listening to music or setting timers. I used to do the trivia religiously and had a streak of months in a row but I went on vacation, probably over Christmas last year, and have completely forgot about that function. I need to tell her to remind me to play trivia I guess.

Joanne Noragon said...

I wiggle my feet every morning.
Who's that stray dude out there?

Rita said...

Wow! That's a lot of exercise packed into that video! :)

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Alexa is not in our future, but glad it has proven useful for you. The doorbell feature is a good one and friends of our like that one. The exercise video was very upbeat and the instructor was better than some I’ve seen.

Jenn Jilks said...

My exercise today is shovelling! I usually do mine in the morning, too. And cancel it if there is something going on!
Happy trails!

Kay said...

I have two dots. I really like having her.