Thursday, November 19, 2020

The Christmas Shelf

Sue has put up the Christmas decorations. My favourite display is the shelf over the tv.

I have never been able to figure out how to capture the shelf properly it in a photo. My tripod certainly wouldn't extend that high so any shot from it would be at an angle, and I didn't want that. I could try holding the camera over my head, but, somehow, that doesn't appeal to my photographic sensibilities. 

After years of this, I finally thought about setting the tripod on the stairs? The angle wouldn't be the best, but at least the camera would be on a level with the shelf, and so the perspective wouldn't be too out of whack. The tripod would also help me to get a cleaner image than I would get by handholding the camera in the dark.

Not bad really, considering the angle, lighting and the balancing act on the stairs.

The lights change colours, at least the centre strip of lights does. The ones at the end stay yellow. This photo is, perhaps, not my favourite colour, but I think I like everything else about it best such as exposure and perspective.


I kept changing the colour and taking more photos. The above pictures were blends of different exposures to try to adjust better for the lighting. The following two images are just single exposures, but they are satisfactory. At least I think so.



Sue changes the decorations seasonally. Sometime after New Year, red and white for Valentines will be go on display, still combined with snowmen and such because winter will still hold sway. Then Easter and spring will follow before summer and fall as the circle goes round and round. But Christmas is the best. I wasn't in the mood for Christmas until the displays went up, but now I am.

I am playing Christmas music at the moment as a matter of fact.

14 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Oh my AC. Love the decorations but the Christmas music is too early for me. Enjoy!

Barbara Rogers said...

With changes of seasons, decorations in homes and outside seem to just flow along. As I noted last week, we had the Veterans Day flags put up on the same day that candy canes and wreaths were installed. I do like the beginning of the Christmas season. But it does get tiresome by the time it's over. Love Sue's decorations, and the various colored portraits of them. Good on you!

DJan said...

I like them all, bAut somehow the red one fits the best, to me anyway. Nice job, AC. And Sue!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

We are staying traditionalists here and no Christmas decos until at least Thanksgiving in our place. That said, many people are doing as Sue did and putting up holiday lights and other things early to get into a more festive spirit. It was fun seeing your different takes on the display.

Marcia said...

No Christmas decorations here at the apartment. Will put them up once we move next month.

Ed said...

I used to fume a bit about those (in the U.S.) who forsook Thanksgiving by putting up Christmas decorations early. But this year with a pandemic raging and the true meaning of Thanksgiving impossible to come by, I kind of like the distraction of watching the Christmas decorations go up around the neighborhood. We still haven't done ours but may do it this weekend while it is still warm. I still don't know if I can bring myself to plug them in though until after next Thursday.

Margaret said...

That's a beautiful display and I can see why it brings you joy and holiday spirit! I won't be decorating this year which is a relief, yet also feels weird.

gigi-hawaii said...

I like the wine glasses. Very pretty.

William Kendall said...

I like the variety of colour.

Rita said...

That's cool that they change color. Kudos--that's hard to capture. :)

Mage said...

I won't tell George about the music, but I can say the display is charming. Thank you.

Vicki Lane said...

VEry pretty and well captured!

Kay said...

I love how you're able to change the color with your adjustments. I'm afraid I'm still not in the mood to decorate. I actually find it harder to get into the mood in Hawaii where we don't have the seasons to jog me into the spirit.

Blondi Blathers said...

Pretty! I love the lighting. -Kate