Monday, November 09, 2020

Dredged

I was startled! I had been reading a Ruth Galloway Mystery in my comfy womfy chair when an incident in the narrative shocked me into a realization. The protagonist, Ruth, had just been given a poetry book by a suitor, and Oh My Goodness! had I not recently received a poetry book in the mail?

Yes, I had! The memory surfaced. I remembered clearly that Doris had sent me an email to notify me that her poetry book would be coming in the mail. I then recalled, perhaps less clearly but recalled nevertheless, removing her thin parcel from the mailbox. That was where my recollections terminated. I had no further remembrance beyond that.

I promptly forgot about the book without even opening it. What did I even do with it? A mild panic ensued. Did something happen to it? Did I still have it? Did the thin package get tossed somehow? That would cause me to feel very badly.

Immediately, I had to stop reading to find the answer. It was in the first place that I looked: a place where I normally stack my various bills until I am ready to deal with them. Phew! 

Because I had already known what was in the package, I had no pressing need at the time to explore the contents. Having something or other else on my mind right then, I put it in the pile and there it lay, out of sight and out of mind.

I emailed Doris immediately to acknowledge the gift and thank her for it, lest she think that I was a total ingrate. It hadn't been that long, for I had probably received the parcel just last week, but still, I should have acknowledged the gift promptly.

Just how long would the book have remained there in the pile if the incident in the novel hadn't activated my memory? Probably until month end which is when I tend to open accumulated mail: sometimes, not even then.

My mind is a busy place. It is not that I am thinking great thoughts, for they are mostly rubbish. But it is still busy in there with all sorts of flotsam and jetsam swirling about. It is not so much that I forget things in their entirety but that I require something to jog my memory and cause a certain item to be extricated from the swirling debris.

This happens frequently. Sue will associate something trivial with the memory of something else: an association that I wouldn't normally make. Once she reminds me of the connection, of course I remember (well, not always, but you know what I mean), but I had needed that specific reminder to exhume it from where it lay buried in my brain.

Minds and memory are funny things. I have met a few people in my life, sometimes almost just in passing, who have learned my name immediately upon meeting and have never seemed to forgotten it. My tire guy is one. I see him just twice a year in most years -- in autumn to install the snow tires, and in spring to remove them. Yet, he has always greeted me by name. After some years, I made it a point to try to remember his name. I think it is Paul. But I am not certain, even after making a special effort.

On the other hand, I recently took my phone in to have the battery replaced. The proprietor told me to come back in an hour to pick it up. When I did that, he just looked at me blankly, apparently having no clue who I was, not even by sight. While I have a poor memory for names, I am pretty good with facial recognition, but not this guy. After an elapsed time of just over an hour, I had been wiped from his memory banks and needed to supply my phone number for him to look up the work order on his computer.

I am pretty sure that memory is not a function of intelligence but the result of how different brains are constructed. In my case, the memories seem to be there but lay at great depths and require a special hook to dredge them back to the surface.

Now, what did I do with that poetry book?


17 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I hear you!
I had to make my homeroom students sit in the same places for two weeks, with a seating chart, util I learned their names. It was terrible for me. I am a visual learner, and would memorize their seating charts. Weird...

Barbara Rogers said...

Interesting musings this morning. Memory is also somewhat related to the level of stress one is feeling...from either good or bad events, and even those imagined. We have such fun brains, don't we? Glad you thought of the poetry book...however it was triggered.

gigi-hawaii said...

Too funny. Yes, memory plays tricks on us. One association leads to another one.

Marie Smith said...

My husband remembers details of things that happened years ago. He’s always been like that. All I remember, if I’m lucky, is that I was there. However my short term memory is way better than his. It works out well for us.

Terra said...

I relate to this post. I have somewhat faulty facial recognition, sad to say. And yes, I can understand how you filed the book away in that pile and then reading jarred you to remember it.

Margaret said...

I too am great with faces and terrible with names. I did learn students' names but only by putting them in a seating chart. Since I'm visual, seeing the names helped a lot. I'm glad that Ruth Galloway could help you out! :)

MARY G said...

If it rhymes or scans I recall it easily. Otherwise, um, no. Especially names. In one of the worst bloopers of my life, I tried to introduce my brand new husband to my grandmother and his name disappeared from my immediate recall. Luckily, it was funny and we are still married, but, oh dear!!!!

Ed said...

Brains and how they function have always fascinated me. Perhaps that is why my oldest daughter and I bond sometimes by watching the U.S. television show called Brain Games which tries to explain some of our brain's troubling behaviors.

I struggled with names for all my life and still do to some extent but I stumbled upon a class teaching Dale Carnegie techniques and that improved my ability to name people quite a bit. The technique is to create a mental image of that person with their name. So for example, I might envision an air conditioner unit smiling at me from a window whenever I see you and call you AC. In our class of 20 people, we went around the room once and asked everyone their name and created that mental image and just about everyone of us could correctly name all 20 people just minutes later whenever asked. Just tying a name to an image is very powerful stuff. But it isn't fool proof because all these years later, I have a hard time pausing a conversation long enough to create that mental image before I look like a computer screen that just crashed to the other person.

Doris Potter said...

Well! I'm glad to hear that you held my book in such high esteem that it was included in the pile of annoying mail to deal with at month end!
Seriously though, I think you owe me a plug, so please note that it is available on Amazon under the title of "Discoveries In The Dark" by Doris Potter.

Joanne Noragon said...

I'm fortunate--no memory for faces or names. I still need to learn to pull it off.

Red said...

Interesting post. I think memory also has to do with the detail and how complicated things are. For small periods or maybe more than small periods I have had what is described as global amnesia. I have no idea what has gone on or where I was in say the last hour. Fortunately most of this is controlled by medication. A cue wouldn't help.

PipeTobacco said...

Did you end up reading some of the poetry? How was it?

In regards to the phone fellow.... I am wondering if (presuming you were) your mask made it difficult to recognize you. I know that I have a challenge with masks and recognizing folks.... even folks I have known for years. I think I have a strong tendency to look at and especially key in on a person’s mouth/ nose region for recognition more than the rest of the face. Perhaps that is why he did not recall you? I have often when talking to my wife, when I am trying to help her recall a person I am talking about that she is not remembering.... by saying things like.... yeah, you know him.... it is that fellow with the orangish, curly mustache, or it is that lady with the very thin nose with freckles.... I tend to mention mouth nose parts to try to help her recall.... I guess because it is what stands out in how I recognize a person.

PipeTobacco

Rita said...

I have always been terrible with names--of people, streets, etc. But I was good at faces and remembering landmarks. Getting fibro changed my brain into a foggy thing. Now I need to write things down or I forget them and even my longer term memories seem a bit fuzzier at times.

I would think it would be much harder now with face masks. But you can pick up on people by their gait, mannerisms, voice, hair, stance, attitude, and--of course--the eyes! Widows of the soul. But it does make it a little harder seeing a small part of people's faces.

Mara said...

I am terrible with names. I need to really repeat it when I first meet someone and then the chances of remembering are about 50%. Faces are a bit easier, but even then, putting name to face is harder.

DJan said...

Funny, some people's names stick with me right away, and others slip out of my memory immediately. Maybe part of it is that the names don't quite fit my idea of what the name should be. Good post, filled with ruminations on our mental processes. I don't even know what your real name is, to me you are AC. :-)

Mage said...

I seem to have a wall between me and my memory.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It seems you are not alone in this dilemma, John. While I am fairly good with remembering people’s names, the lack of facial recognition has become a problem of late for obvious reasons. As for remembering other things, the most frustrating thing is when an item is misplaced, like your book, and I will look for it at length then find it, of course, in the last place I look.