Monday, November 23, 2020

First Winter Storm

Despite the title, it wasn't really a storm. I mean, what kind of a storm is it when the school buses aren't even cancelled? But it was the first significant snowfall and enough to bring out the plows.

Of course, this leads to the everlasting problem of the driveway getting plowed in by the town plows. So, we await our contractor to return. You can see that they've plowed once.

Sue got on the phone to seek assurance that they would be back. Yes. They have been delayed because the snow was very heavy, and their machines clogged up twice. If we need to get out before they returned, we are to call, and they would get here sooner.

I did wander down the driveway, still in my PJs where I took a photo of the tree that you also see the the above photo. The yellow arm is up in case the fire hydrant gets buried in the snow. The town does come by and clear the hydrant from time to time.


After making my oatmeal, I headed upstairs and took a few photos through the window. First: the same tree.


Then I photographed Paul shovelling out. He had already blown the driveway and was now shovelling where the blower wouldn't easily fit.


I then went to the back window.

The flower pots are frozen and covered. Sometime in May, they will restored to their purpose. I messed the focus, but what the heck.


Finally, a tree out back. The wires are just reality. Eh?


Once we get a significant snowfall at this point in November, it tends to stick until March or even April. Looking at the forecast this one could possibly melt later in the week and over the weekend. I hope so. It makes the long winter a little shorter less long if it can keep clear until December.


13 comments:

Marcia said...

I thought we'd get snow here overnight but it was rain this morning. There may be snow south of here where daughter lives. They've had it more than us. For the first measurable snow that looks very pretty. I know it gets old as winter progresses.

Vicki Lane said...

Wow! Beautiful! We haven't even had a freeze yet.

Barbara Rogers said...

Our cold front came through in the night, without even the rain which had been forecast. And it's a high of 51 F today...so I'm going out for my walk. Your snow may be something you dread to live with for months, but I do like the beauty of it, especially on those trees. Thanks for the first snow photos. If and when we get some flakes, you better believe I'll be out there catching some with the phone camera. I not only like the look of snow, but oh, the quiet that it provides!

Margaret said...

The snow is beautiful but you can have it. ;) We are so unused any major events here that when it happens it's Snowmaggeon! Snowpocalypse! I love trees in the snow; they are beautiful here too, especially the tall evergreens. The first time I saw that pole above the hydrant, I was in Alaska and didn't know what it was for. They have them in Poughkeepsie too.

Marie Smith said...

November snow that sticks around is the worst. Here’s hoping for another melt.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's melting now in the sunshine! We had a slow overnight dump, and I won't do the driveway, except at the end, for the same reason as your contractor. It'll just clog. I did the end of the drive, it wasn't deep, but I know they'll be back.

Ed said...

It always makes me shake my head in bewilderment when I see people unburying their cars from the snow with a perfectly good garage right behind them, usually full of excess junk.

I still blow the snow from my driveway so generally I have the luxury of waiting for the snowplow to go by first before starting.

DJan said...

It's beautiful! I love that pretty Christmas tree look. :-)

Joanne Noragon said...

Better ye than me, my friend.

Red said...

We all wish for a shorter winter and lighter snow.

Rita said...

Love that full tree in the front yard! :)

William Kendall said...

We got it in the city too.

Kay said...

Oh my gosh! That is a LOT of snow. Much as I didn't like to shovel when we lived in Illinois, I kind of miss seeing the snow.