Wednesday, November 04, 2020

Photographing the Courtyard in the Cold

I had it in the back of my mind to take some photos of the courtyard of the restaurant on our main street. I wanted to do this while they were keeping the lights on at night although maybe they leave them on all winter. I can't remember. I wanted to do it while there still might be some leaves strewn about.

While I had this in mind for at least a week, weather and other things had thwarted me. One of the thwarting things in addition to much rain, is the fact that I slept in until 6:30 twice last week. While I guess I could have rushed out I chose not to. But on Friday, I awoke at 4:30, so even after taking my sweet time, which I surely do take in the mornings, I was out of the house by 6:30.

It was darn cold out, but I since I had driven to my destination, I made like brave soldier and took some photos while I shivered. They were long exposures, long enough to require steady tripod support.

This was the first attempt, taken at 1.6 seconds.


I decided to narrow the aperture to see if I could get more of a starburst (or light rays) effect. That meant that I had to increase the exposure time to 8 seconds to get about the same amount of light. 


I did the same at another spot. I think this angle is a better composition with the stairs and door more centered and we also have leaves leading in that direction.



I have also had a notion to photograph gas stations at night, and since there was one behind me on the opposite corner, I turned around and did just that. I blended several exposures to get a few light trails from passing cars.


I had come with all of my lenses and had been prepared to take different photos, but it was -3C/26F, and I was really feeling the cold, so I packed up and scurried back to the car. I usually don't think temperatures hovering near 0C as being all that cold, but I felt chilled to the bone that morning. Even around the house, I am suspicious that I am feeling the cold a little more this year as winter approaches.

15 comments:

Marcia said...

You should see those photos to the restaurant.

DJan said...

I really like the third one, but they are all lovely. Thank you for sharing these. :-)

Ed said...

My favorite is the first one. I like the moodiness of it which kind of echoes the early morning hour.

Photography is one of those things I have always enjoyed but has always gotten lower ranking compared to some of my other hobbies. I always tell myself that I should focus more on it but as of yet, haven't done so. Perhaps tomorrow.

gigi-hawaii said...

Photography is art.

Marie Smith said...

You are a dedicated photographer to be out in that cold, AC. Love the courtyard shots.

Margaret said...

Those hotel shots are great. They have a cold and lonely ambiance! Standing around in 26 degrees would be very uncomfortable!

William Kendall said...

Beautiful shots!

It's been a long while since I photographed a series of courtyards here in the Byward Market, but I like doing so at night.

MARY G said...

The third one down works best for me. You are an education! Thanks so much for doing this kind of thing on line ... love to think about it.

Mage said...

I am also. G has on a short sleeved T shirt, as do I, but I am happy with an added sweater.

Red said...

It takes us little while to get used to the cold each year. And then the aging bit? Maybe that has something to do with it too.

Joanne Noragon said...

Wonderful what you can do with long exposures in the dead of night. And that's what I consider six thirty to be.

Rita said...

I like all of the ones of the courtyard. What a pretty spot and you captured the allure even in the cold. :)

Debby said...

Those courtyard pictures are gorgeous.

Vicki Lane said...

These are all so beautiful!

Kay said...

Wow! I really love that starburst effect.