Friday, November 20, 2020

Pandemic Dilemmas

Dilemma One

We have been to the cafe a few times and felt fairly safe. But those few visits began when the virus was pretty well under control around here. Now it isn't.

But we went because I wanted to update my gallery by adding a few autumn images. We sat and drank our coffee but couldn't get at my pictures because people were seated by that wall. As we sat and waited for an opportunity, I began to feel apprehensive. There were only a dozen of us in the place. We were seated at appropriate distances, and the ceiling is high, so the danger really was minimal. 

But who knows in this situation? I was beginning to feel uneasy. A part of me realized that the situation was almost assuredly safe, especially since our particular region is not exactly rife with the virus. But it is that almost that got to me. Suddenly, almost didn't seem almost good enough.

So we left, returned near closing time, and did what we had to do in an almost empty place with just one worker present behind plexiglass.

It will soon be time to consider putting up winter photos. I'd hate not to, but I just don't know. An additional consideration is that we have wanted to support this proprietor through all of this. I think she has been hit hard, both mentally and financially.

Dilemma Two

The next day, yesterday, I experienced yet another pandemic-related dilemma.

I had an appointment to have my snow tires installed. This is normally easy. Drive the few blocks, sit in the waiting room for less than an hour, pay the man, and leave.

But in these times, I didn't want to hang about in their small waiting room for up to an hour.

It was cold out, so I didn't want to sit outside. There is a bench, but waiting for up to an hour in below freezing temperatures was something that I couldn't bring myself to contemplate.

I could have walked home, but you know about my foot thing. It would take an effort. It would be one thing if it were only a one-way walk, but then I would have to do it again later to pick up the car. For sure, I could do it, but also for sure, being a wimp, I would rather not.

At about 5:30AM, I decided to message Bob to see if he would pick me up and take me back home. He agreed.

Why text so early at 5:30, you ask? Because I had been up for two hours already (sigh), and the problem was gnawing away at me. Knowing that Bob is an early riser, I decided to settle my mind.

Bob is very accomodating. I knew he would want to help unless he had another commitment. That greatly relieved both my mind and my body.

Easy things ain't so easy in the pandemic.

21 comments:

DJan said...

I wish everyone was as conscientious as you are. I miss my coffee shop hangouts, now that we are in a more restrictive period, but it's really essential to have as many of us as possible follow the rules. We've got to get this under control. Up there in Canada you're in a much better place than we are.

Jenn Jilks said...

JB had the same problem, but we don't have any close friends.
I think you are wise. You just never know.
I do wish our politicians would get with the program, too. Ford's been seen at a wedding, others in airports not masking. Our MPP was in Toronto at an antimasking protest, where things are really bad. sigh.

Barbara Rogers said...

I wonder about the sanity of anti-maskers. They do seem to be the same people who think of tRump as an idol, despite his obvious flaws. How intelligent people can choose to have these 2 very biased views on reality is perplexing to me. It's not a matter of liking vanilla or chocolate, it's a matter of life or death to many of us...and perhaps to themselves.

Ed said...

Right now our positivity rate is slightly north of 50% so I'm just hunkering down. No going out to eat for me no matter how sparsely populated the cafe is. Back when it was in the single digits, we would go on a rare occasion but go at an off time and only to places where we could easily socially distance ourselves.

For various reasons, before the pandemic I switched my vehicle servicing to a local dealership. They have a small waiting room and like you, I just can't bring myself to sitting in there for an hour. But I have found a bench in a corner of the sales floor that never has anyone around it and so I tell the ladies at the service desk that is where I will be and it has worked out thus far.

Marcia said...

Making accommodations to stay safe is very wise. I went once to the Bible study when it moved indoors but half way through the time I realized I was in an interior space with people I didn't know that well except daughter and truly felt uncomfortable. We all had masks on but still. From then on I attended by zoom. Now it's all on zoom as cases are rising.
Stay safe!

Marie Smith said...

We are virus free now but with Christmas shopping upon us and rising numbers of Covid in Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, I fear we won’t be for long. We have to double think everything these days. The fear of a ventilator keeps me cautious!

PipeTobacco said...

I can fully understand your concerns and I think you acted wisely in both cases.

PipeTobacco

MARY G said...

Yes indeed. A friend and I want to make a trip to Ottawa to visit a specific location, and we keep putting it off, hoping that the numbers will go down. Difficult choices.

gigi-hawaii said...

I think it is wise to stay away from people as much as possible, especially people who are not related to you. It's good that you have such a nice friend to pick you up.

Mage said...

Can you sit in the car next time?

Tabor said...

Could the dealership give you a car to take back home? I think when you are dealing with life and death or lifetime debilitating illness, you must be extra cautious.

Vicki Lane said...

It's not silly to be cautious

Granny Annie said...

I have been ridiculed by many friends and our small community for staying home and when venturing to town wearing a mask and using hand sanitizer and Lysol spray. I order my groceries from Walmart and pick them up outside. I have ventured into the Family Dollar on occasion but always wearing a mask.

William Kendall said...

This pandemic is presenting quite a lot of challenges.

Kay said...

Luckily for living in Hawaii, when my husband has had to wait for the car, he could just go for a walk until they called him in to pick up the car. I'm really glad you're playing it safe. Canadians are a lot better than the Americans. In fact, Hawaii is thinking about allowing Canadians into the islands now.

Rita said...

That is the way the world is right now. I would be extra cautious, too. Glad your friend could give you a ride so you didn't have to sit in that waiting room for an hour! If you want to change out the pictures for winter maybe you can do it before they open or after they close? Safer.

Joanne Noragon said...

This current uptick has me totally indoors, or proceeding with great caution.

Red said...

I get the same feeling when I go to certain places. In the back of your mind you say this is not good.

Margaret said...

I miss going to coffee shops and restaurants and sitting around over drinks. However, it would make me so apprehensive that it wouldn't be fun anyway. I'm glad you figured out a less worrisome way to get done what you needed to. Nothing is very easy right now at all.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

We are all faced with countless dilemmas we never even considered before the pandemic. I am encouraged that you are able to support a local proprietor as outlined in Dilemma 1 and perhaps your photographs will improve the mental outlook of those who view them. And you might sell a couple. A win-win situation all round. As for Dilemma 2 could you not simply have called a cab? I hope you drop off a good bottle of wine at Bob's house!

Christina said...

Pandemic dilemmas indeed! One advantage of living on the West coast of Scotland is that we don't need winter tyres, although probably we are on a similar latitude to you. Not far off anyway. The Gulf Stream keeps us warmish but also wet. Glad I don't have that particular dilemma to mull over. Alas, I am currently worrying about a physio therapy appointment that I really need...