Wednesday, November 18, 2020

A Doggone Close Call

We decided to take a chance and have Shauna and the kids over for a short visit. They had been in our bubble, but when the kids returned to school two months ago, we decided that it would be prudent to keep our distance. Since their schools seem to be remarkably virus-free, we decided to chance a meeting. We would still take the precaution of masking until we were seated at an appropriate distance.

To mark the first in-house visit in months, I thought I would try to take a timelapse video. I set up the camera with the wide angle lens in a small space between the kitchen and dining room, looking into the living room. The time lapse would capture everyone getting seated, removing our masks, and interacting.

I got it set up and pressed the shutter button to begin the time lapse when I heard the troops entering.

Oh oh. They brought the dog, Lola. She bounded right into the kitchen with great exuberance, heading right toward the tripod that she would surely knock over and send my new (same as the old) camera flying. Yes, the camera that I just bought (again) a week earlier after drowning the original two months ago.

With my life or at least my camera's life flashing before my eyes, I lunged in desperation, tackled Lola, and managed to avert a catastrophe or rather a dogastrophe.

I am sure that my reflexes are in decline, but they served me well enough on that day. Yay for grandpa!

Then, we had a nice visit.

Phone Photos

JJ and Dani

Dani and Lola, who had also knocked over the lamp in the background.
It had been straightened by this point, but we kept in on the floor until Lola left.



18 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

What, no photo of you tackling Lola? Good move, even if not on film! Your grands look cute in their photos...and I love the fireplace!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was a good catch as we surely did not want to learn of another photo misfortune, emphasis on the word fortune. Glad you were all able to get an in person home visit. One day we may be able to do the same. Lola is the name of another family member’s golden lab.

DJan said...

Glad you saved your new camera! And I'm also glad for you that you are able to have family, both two- and four-legged into your home. Thanks for the pictures.

Christina said...

Phew, glad the camera was saved. I am a bit envious, we can't form bubbles with other households, unless it is a single person household. Haven't had a proper visit with my son since September.

gigi-hawaii said...

That dog should be trained not to do that. What a catastrophe that would have been.

Ed said...

With two kids attending in person school with no hybrid or virtual option, I was really worried this year. But like you have seen, the kids have been remarkably free of the virus. The poor teachers however have been passing it around. I just got back from parent-teachers conferences on Monday and I kept having to refrain myself from bowing down before the teacher because she is a hero in my book.

Marcia said...

By your title I thought the close call was going to be exposure to Covid. Glad it was only the dog. So far no Covid in granddaughters' school here though numbers are climbing all around us as they are everywhere.

When the movers come we will stay masked and have the windows wide open. Move day is the 14th.

Margaret said...

It's amazing what we can do when we need to. The price of that camera (and the history of its predecessor) probably gave you that added adrenaline. Nice to have a visit!

Marie Smith said...

That is a big dog. A beauty too. Glad you got to see everyone, AC.

William Kendall said...

Fortunately for her, Lola is a cutie.

MARY G said...

Whew.

Mage said...

Could she have stayed in the car?
Yes, whew!

Tabor said...

So glad that your camera was not impacted. Chance are it might have survived...but who wants to gamble? I like this idea. I have a remote for my Canon, but no longer use that as much. I do not think I will be getting with my grandchildren until spring. I can be patient and I am so envious of your bubble.

Jenn Jilks said...

I was worried, I thought it was COVID-related, too!
So good to see them, isn't it?

Joanne Noragon said...

Dogs are best left to youngsters, aren't they? But probably not good left alone at home.

Rita said...

Exuberant dogs can be dangerous! :)

Red said...

Surprising what can mess up your plans.

Kay said...

Oh thank goodness you saved your camera!!! Wow! I'm so glad you could spend time with the grandkids. I miss being able to see mine. Sigh. It is good to be cautious though.