Monday, November 16, 2020

I Can't Remember

 I came across a Twitter thread from a nurse. While you would think that the Trumpists who were infected with COVID might have a Come to Jesus moment, apparently that would be a bridge too far.

I have a night off from the hospital. As I’m on my couch with my dog I can’t help but think of the Covid patients the last few days. The ones that stick out are those who still don’t believe the virus is real. The ones who scream at you for a magic medicine and that Joe Biden is going to ruin the USA. All while gasping for breath on 100% Vapotherm.  They tell you there must be another reason they are sick. They call you names and ask why you have to wear all that “stuff” because they don’t have COViD because it’s not real. 

Yes. This really happens. And I can’t stop thinking about it. These people really think this isn’t going to happen to them.  And then they stop yelling at you when they get intubated. It’s like a fucking horror movie that never ends. There’s no credits that roll. You just go back and do it all over again. 

 https://twitter.com/JodiDoering/status/1327771330884808710

I know there is a term for this: when people are presented with information that is contrary to their beliefs but they cannot rationalize it. It is driving me crazy that I can't remember what it is. The closest I can come is confirmation bias, but that's not it in this case. Maybe you can help me. 


17 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Sorry AC, too early in the day for my brain to be working...on that term you are searching for. It's really sad though, to hear about such people. Hope you have a good week!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

Even though my days in the ER are far behind me I still have friends there and they tell me that it is surreal what they have to go through. Trump is not only a despicable person but is actually responsible for killing millions with his lies, all based on a fragile ego. It's so sad.

DJan said...

I went to the dictionary to search for what the word might be, but the closest I could get was simply "denial." I hope you figure it out, because I'm curious. How sad that tweet is, and how telling.

Ed said...

I guess I am not surprised. Anyone who believes this is a hoax that should have disappeared is going to believe in magic medicines and other conspiracies.

My spouse, a medical doctor, sees this sort of thing too on a daily basis where they come in denying they have Covid and can't understand why she is sending them over to the ER. Me personally, I think it is just Darwinism at its finest.

Are you thinking of "cognitive dissonance"?

Vicki Lane said...

Cognitive dissonance? What a sad thing this is.

Marcia said...

I looked up cognitive dissonance that Ed suggested. The example was someone smoking even though they know smoking causes cancer. Not sure that fits the patient who claims they don't have Covid because they say it's a hoax. Anyway how very sad for those people. Their illness should be an "Aha" moment and enlighten them to tRump's idiocy.

MARY G said...

Here's a term from Wikipedia.

Belief perseverance (also known as conceptual conservatism[1]) is maintaining a belief despite new information that firmly contradicts it.[2] Such beliefs may even be strengthened when others attempt to present evidence debunking them, a phenomenon known as the backfire effect (compare boomerang effect).[3] For example, an article in a 2014 article in The Atlantic, journalist Cari Romm describes a study involving vaccination hesitancy. In the study, the subjects were concerned of the side effects of flu shots, and became less willing to receive them after being told that the vaccination was entirely safe.[4]

Shammickite said...

Supidity.

gigi-hawaii said...

Too bad they are so delusional. Sad they are suffering.

Margaret said...

I'm so furious about this that I want to rant (again) on my blog. I feel like we won't ever get to the end of this.(even with a vaccine, because will these covidiots get it?) I wouldn't care about those people except that they endanger our health care workers and strain the already fragile health care system. Rant over.

Peruby said...

Only thing I can think of is "jerk".

Marie Smith said...

Conceptual conservation fits according to what Mary G wrote. How sad it that. They’ll end up being dead wrong.

Red said...

Unbelievable that some people who may be desperately ill will still not admit that Covid is real.

Jenn Jilks said...

I saw that, too. It just amazes me.
I did some reading about confirmation bias for some reason. They ignore the stuff they don't believe. They find 'evidence' of the ideas they want confirmed.
The best interviews are the ones with Jordan Klepper who interviews these nutjobs on Trevor Noah's show. Their arguments are ridiculous!

Rita said...

I hadn't heard of belief perseverance but that certainly fits!
The first thing that came to mind for me, though, was "alternate facts" from Trump's folks. It is really quite insane to be blunt.

Mage said...

I feel so sorry that their belief in Trumps heresy is so firmly implanted that they can't think beyond it.

Kay said...

It's absolutely breathtaking how incredibly... what's the word?... crazy these people are! I've heard about those that get the virus, get intubated, recover and still say it was a hoax. What the heck?!?