Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Thar She Blows

I have more Alexa blogging to do today, but first we have more snow and a blower.

We've had another snowfall that is big enough to bring out the blowers. Actually, that is not entirely true, as it probably isn't big enough in normal circumstances, especially with rain soon to come on the heels of the snow. But our contractor decided that his crew needed the practice, so out they came.

There are at least three different contractors working our little neighbourhood. Oddly, on one shared driveway, they have two different contractors. Our neighbours across the street have the same contractor as we do, and I happened to be looking out when he came by.

I didn't have a camera ready at hand, but I did have my phone. If you squint, you can see the machine blowing the snow from the driveway onto the yard

Then it was our turn. He is about to back in. I don't envy these blokes having to twist their bodies to back in all day long. I especially don't envy them because my body has great difficulty doing this now, even once and briefly at that.

Then they blow the snow as they drive forward.

You may have noticed that is also garbage day. Finding a spot in winter can be difficult. In other seasons I put it out on the edge of the yard on the house side of the sidewalk, but as snow piles up on the lawn, I can't do this in winter. On most pickup days, I can place the containers at the side of the driveway, but knowing that the plow was coming, this morning, I couldn't do that. I was able to find a little spot between the sidewalk and road. It was actually on the road but on the pile of snow between the sidewalk and the road. (Maybe I will explain at another time.)

Back to Alexa but in light of taking up much space already, this will not be the full, intended post.

I just want to say in passing that she is reminding me to do my exercises. But I have found a new feature. I can just tell her to remind me again in a half hour. Well, I could pick any time, but I chose a half hour -- twice. 😅

16 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

Interesting post. I never saw such a contraption, not even in New York City, where I lived (1970-1975). And there was snow there, believe me.

David M. Gascoigne, said...

Looks like you had more snow that we did, but it was enough to remind me about winter tyres. I have an appointment for tomorrow!

Marie Smith said...

We haven’t had enough snow to require the snowblower yet. It’s just a matter of time though.

Barbara Rogers said...

Experiences I don't have...having a snow blower, nor having a driveway of my own. However, I have similar garbage pick-up issues...though not as much Where To Put It, as when. Since our normal pick-up is Thurs. the Town of Black Mountain decided to switch us to Wed. That's a very weird practice, but I piled my trash out this morning as instructed. So glad you've got the snow. We've got rain today. Ugh.

Marcia said...

We had a dusting too last night as we found out when we went out to the car at 6:30 am to take Dan to his colonoscopy appointment. Light enough that wipers dusted off the windshield. Because of Covid I had to stay in the car to wait in the parking lot. I dressed warmly enough but must admit I had the car running more than I had it off. The wait was 2+ hours!

I've never seen snowblowers attached to 4 wheeler/ATVs. But I imagine it makes quicker work of clearing than walking behind the blower.

DJan said...

Once I saw the snow blowing onto your lawn, I reexamined the first picture and was able to see it! It sure does look pretty around your place with the fresh snow. :-)

Margaret said...

Amazing! An interesting looking contraption. I wouldn't have known what it was. It seems like just a few days ago you were posting shots of outdoor coffee klatches and fall leaves. Sigh. You probably already know that I've never even owned a snow shovel. Last year when we unexpectedly got a foot of snow in February, I used a garden rake to clear it away from my garage door so I could back out. Good exercise but I looked rather eccentric.

William Kendall said...

My kind of weather!

MARY G said...

JG has a John Deere with the blower on the back, but he blows backing up. To, yes, the detriment of his neck.
I would probably pitch Alexa through a window on the second nag.

Red said...

Snow keeps quite a few people busy. I have a new neighbor and he removes my snow if he's not working. then I remove his snow.

Joanne Noragon said...

Actually, this is unpleasant to look at. It's all rain down here!

Rita said...

The snow always makes work for some people and they are glad to have it. :)

Mage said...

I beT YOU CAN TELL HER NO. lol

Debby said...

The last time that I went to visit my son and daughter in law I took my grandson along. My son said, "Alexa, can you fart?"

Turns out she can.

This one fact made William want an Alexa so very badly. He still laughs till the tears flow at the memory of it.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

No snow for us since the late Oct 2-inch one, so I am a bit envious. When we lived in VA, my husband used his tractor for snow removal from the neighbor's drives and also plowed the fire department entry. I suspect he waited for significant snowfalls to be able to drive the tractor.

Kay said...

I should use Alexa for reminders too. I'm so loving your Alexa posts. Thank you.