Sunday, November 15, 2020

Sunday Listlessness

I wasn't going to post today. I don't have any fresh photos, and we are experiencing the beginnings of freezing rain, so I will remain housebound. I am a little at sixes and sevens, for I finished a book last night, from Hoopla, which is connected to our library. But I can only get three downloads per month, and I have reached my limit at only the halfway mark. So what shall I do today?

I have been contemplating subscribing to Kindle Unlimited, which I haven't really looked into. I do have many Kindle books, but I understand that the Unlimited version is like a library and that you don't keep the books. That wouldn't bother me.

Then I received an invitation to Scribd, which I guess is like Kindle Unlimited, but you can also access audio books. At the moment, we have Audible, which is about $15CDN/month, but Kindle Unlimited wouldbe separate and another $10-15/month.

Figuring out online costs in Canada can be problematic. I ordered something for $29 just a few days ago. It was from a Canadian site (supposedly, anyway), so I assumed it would be in Canadian funds. With tax and exchange added to the American price, it came to $43. 

Many sites will figure out that you are Canadian and give you Canadian prices on the fly, but this one didn't, and American currency rules the day.

Speaking of ordering online, Sue was eyeing a pair of winter boots on a 30% sale. But you have to be careful because the pair that she was ready to order were not on sale. There are so many gotchas.

In better news, I received an email that I had sold another photo, this one from my gallery at Sue's hairdresser. This was the second sale of Squirrel's Delight at that venue.


I shall have to print a replacement for that blank spot. I wonder what it should be. Should I print an autumn photo or hang a winter photo, which I would probably do in a few weeks anyway?



17 comments:

gigi-hawaii said...

Great photo. Congratulations on the sale. Your work is so popular.

Barbara Rogers said...

Oh I never considered on-line shopping could be so difficult with two currencies with the same name! I hope you find a good book source! Our on-line libraries are pretty big, and we can check out 5 books at a time...either audio or looking at print on line. I'm very grateful for it...but also have several books on"hold" that aren't available yet. It seems strange that an audio book would only have 3 copies...and not be available until one is turned back in. I guess they don't copy their own audio books. I just enjoyed one of Louise Penny's that I'd read earlier. I've got another on hold but may have to wait 6 months for it!

Debby said...

That must be an exciting thing: to see your photographs catching the eye of others.

DJan said...

That is a lovely photo. I wouldn't mind having it on my own wall, gazing at the bright color amongst the snowflakes. :-)

Margaret said...

That's a wonderful photo! I am feeling dreary today since our governor (trying his hardest to keep us safe) has instituted another partial lockdown. Toilet paper and paper towels are again in short supply. It feels like deja vu, and not the good kind...I should subscribe to Kindle Unlimited; it would save me money and most of the time I don't want to keep the books. What are you reading? I'm enjoying the latest Robert Galbraith mystery. It's a page turner, even at 900 pages. :)

Marie Smith said...

Congratulations again,AC. Well done!

Mara said...

I always order on Amazon UK, even with the Dutch version now up and running. It does mean prices are in Pounds Sterling and they always want to convert it for me. I always say no, as the exchange rate is always worse when they do it.

Ed said...

Although I have a kindle, I still prefer a tactile analog reading device. But when waiting for a daughter at an afterschool function in winter when it is dark out, a kindle definitely has its place.

I can't imagine what life is like for those in other countries trying to order stuff online. It is definitely something I take for granted living in the U.S. Mostly I get in trouble when trying to send money to relatives in other countries but generally the expenses are always readily apparent up front.

Jenn Jilks said...

You do marvellous work I am so impressed.

Red said...

there are many sales gimmicks these days. Buying groceries is a challenge.

Rita said...

I do love that photo because it is a combination of fall and winter! :)

dellgirl said...

Congratulations on the sale, that's great news. Way-to-Go AC! That winter photo is awesome, I LOVE it! Wishing you well, my friend! Stay Safe!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That sale was wonderful news, John, and it is a wonderful two,season image. Ordering on Amazon came in handy for us this weekend when we received a wish list for the youngest granddaughter’s December birthday. Selections were made and the gifts are enroute to PA this week, Christmas will be more of the same process.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Forgot to add that Hoopla loans from our library have also been reduced from 6 to 3 because of higher demand now. I have been downloading ebooks and audio books from the library website at no cost. Like yourself, I have no interest in keeping any of these. Free is good and our support of the Friends of the Library group and annual donation helps somewhat.

Vicki Lane said...

That photo is a real beauty.

Mage said...

I love that photo. Why not print it again.

Kay said...

Congratulations! That's so wonderful. That really is a gorgeous photo.