Monday, November 30, 2020

A Good Day

It was a good day. Saturday, I mean.

First, Lacey Cat woke me up sometime after 5 o'clock. While that might seem to be not so wonderful at first blush, it sure beats waking up at 3 as in yesterday's post. Having slept for 6+ hours rather than less than 4 hours was a good thing.

And she did it my purring in my ear. I really appreciated that because I have a significant loss of hearing. The loss mostly gets covered up by hearing aids during the daytime although not completely or perfectly. But I certainly don't sleep with the devices. However, she got so close to my ear that I heard the purr anyway. And a cat's purr is a very fine thing, especially when I don't hear it often (even with hearing aids).

The good times continued to roll later when we took a trip into the city. There, I was able to obtain a $400 rebate on my camera -- the one that I just had to re-purchase after I drowned the initial one. (My Two Thousand Dollar Photo if you're new and interested.)

I got the rebate because it was Black Friday (weekend), and that's how much the camera was reduced for a few days. When I had purchased the camera, I was told that there was a 30-day, price-matching guarantee included, so I was able to claim the reduced price.

So yeah. That was really nice.

Kudos to the store that told me of the offer and also told me to keep my eye on the website. The salesman even reminded me just a few days before Black Friday. Now, that's cool.

The only slight downer was the drive in to the store. It's not that it went horribly, but this was the longest drive since we had installed the snow tires. OMG! I hate snow tires! They are so freakin loud on dry pavement. I find it most unpleasant.

Not that the tires ruined my day or even came close to it, but they are anything but pleasant.

Now, if I only had the gumption to bother to take photos with this camera, but I am not very motivated.

12 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Lacey misses you when you sleep-in, so to speak.

I hate the dreaded snow tire sound too. Can’t do without it though.

DJan said...

I don't use hearing aids, but I wondered when I read this if you can just reach up and turn them off when driving with snow tires. Congratulations on saving that money, though! Yay!

Angie said...

I extremely interested in the new camera that you gave a bath and just repurchased. I bought the Canon Rebel t7i some months ago and am in the process of getting acquainted. I'm a novice, but have preferred to be behind a camera (even a cheap) to being in front of one. Would you mind sharing what model you just purchased? I find myself in an unexpected but fortunate position to be able to invest a bit more in a camera now. Yours photos are excellent. IMHO.

Ed said...

You must be referring to studded snow tires. I used to go with the really soft compound snow tires which are quieter than all season tires. But with the advent of AWD and computers in the car to measure slip and adjust things on the fly, I have just opted to go that route and keep my all seasons on all year round. I find them more than adequate for my driving needs in the winter. Both are RAV4 and Sienna have AWD and I don't think I will every buy another vehicle without that feature, especially since we live in a town built in the bluffs along a river so everything is up and down.

Margaret said...

That's like $400 in your pocket! Pre-covid it would have been a great excuse for a dinner out on the town. Oh, well. Like Ed, I have AWD but mine is a Subaru which is supposed to have the best AWD around. (when I was looking for a car, even the Toyota people told me that) I also use studless snow tires but probably won't have them put on this year, even though it doesn't cost anything. They work well, but with your amount of snow, studded is better. That noise is annoying though!

gigi-hawaii said...

Your tires made me chuckle. You have problems we in Hawaii don't have, thank God. As for your camera, congrats.

Mage said...

I miss a lot because I always forget to put them in my ears. So glad there was a purr.

Christina said...

I remember driving with snow tyres on dry roads, not enjoyable! We don't need any winter tyres here, it just gets wet and in the odd year when we have lots of snow, the council doesn't clear the roads and we can't drive at all. That's a smashing saving on your new camera, fantastic. I do love cat purring very much, I found it very soothing. So glad to read you got a little more sleep. I think on four hours sleep, I would be a murderous monster!

Joanne Noragon said...

Yes, the only good thing about snow tires is how they behave on the snow.

Rita said...

Waking up to purring in your ear is the best!
Glad you got your rebate! :)

Debby said...

I have never noticed the sound of studded tires. I'm either deaf or simply oblivious.

My cat sleeps at my feet. Every time I move, I hear her purring. That is a nice sound.

William Kendall said...

Cat purrs are a very good way to start the day.