Tuesday, October 01, 2019

The Blatherings of Life

How about some irrelevant blather about my mundane life for a change?

Yesterday, I was privileged to experience a rather grand caffeine deprivation headache.

I had arisen at 5 but was disallowed my habitual coffee, for I was to fast until my ultrasound at 11. By then, of course, I had a rather prodigious headache.

It was a two-part ultrasound, the first part for the intestinal area for which I had been ordered to consume a bucket of water. The technician was very kind and permitted me to have a bathroom break before the higher and rather lengthy upper abdominal examination. I didn't even have to ask but expressed my appreciation.

On a sidenote: I find it curious that they always use midnight as the hour to stop consumption of food etc. It doesn't matter whether your test is at 6AM or 12 noon. it is always midnight. Go figure.

It was during that part of the process that she asked if I felt well enough to go home or if I felt I should check in at the ER.

Say what?!

So yes, I have a kidney stone, but I have been carrying it around for 2 years at least, and that was not my prime reason for being there. Ah well. I guess one can suffer from multiple maladies when one is in his seventies.

I assured her that I was good to go, as it were.

Once done, I made hasty tracks to the coffee shop drive through where I ordered both the much needed coffee and bagel.

After checking in at home with Sue for a few moments, I headed to the grocery story, took my time shopping, including taking the time to slice three loaves of bread. (Why do the packages say sliced when they are not?) But then. Then confusion began to reign and rain at the cash lines as one cash line after the other began to experience trouble. I thought I had it sorted with all of my goods on the conveyor, but then I noticed the lady at the front searching for you know, actual money. Like who carries that anymore?

The lady in front of me had only two items but could only afford one.

I had enough $ to purchase three of the many items that I had put in the cart, including the three loaves of bread that I had gone to the trouble of slicing and repackaging. Good grief, Charlie Brown.

Upon exiting, I spied the proprietor schmoozing with another customer in the lobby. I opined to him that in such a case, it would be a jolly fine idea to have a person actually letting people in line know what was going on.

He replied that they had made an announcement, but by that time I had already been in line for sometime, and my cart was unpacked. Besides, being of poor hearing, I couldn't make out the announced message anyway.

Ah well. Last night I had a semi decent sleep, but only semi, for about 5 hours, if that. It was slightly before 4 o'clock when her royal puss decided that her patrons should get up. I knew that my sleep was so interrupted that I might as well comply.

I brewed my coffee only to discover that we were almost out of cream. I split what was left, using about half what I normally use and leaving the rest for Sue. But that would have left Sue with only half of her normal cream intake as well.

Sue arises ~7, so around 6:30, I headed to the bank for some cash, and then to the convenience store where I purchased a litre of cream. For my beloved. For which she hasn't duly praised me yet. Sigh.

Meanwhile, her royal puss is hounding me, assuming that cats can hound, for her tuna breakfast, so I must descend to the kitchen. Sigh again.

12 comments:

Vicki Lane said...

Such are the small irritations that make up life.

Tabor said...

Well, in the event you are interested hubby would take all the cream and then when I got up tell me we were out!

Marie Smith said...

My husband would do as you did. He’s considerate like that.

The cat is accustomed to you early morning photography trips. She’s just trying to help out!

Mage said...

I so hope you will be feeling better sooner rather than later.

Christina said...

You deserve a medal for getting out so early to buy cream for Sue. Caffeine headaches are just awful. I have a set coffee routine and missing a cup on the morning is bad news for later. I very much hope the card machines will be repaired before your next shopping trip.

William Kendall said...

Cats have to keep you on your toes, after all.

Joanne Noragon said...

You're a good man. That's what Sue says.

Cuppa said...

Yes I do. And you get high praise indeed for making sure I had cream from my morning coffee.

MARY G said...

You are a good partner!

Jenn Jilks said...

We're onto dr's app;t #63 or 64 tomorrow, I forget. It's better than cancer, though.
I hear you about fasting and all. JB loathes the blood tests, though. They often can't get a needle in.
Good for you for shopping. I cannot stand it.

Jenny Woolf said...

Whenever I have to fast, that is the day that I always really want to eat something. I empathise about the coffee headache too.

Kay said...

You are truly an awesome, husband! I'm wishing you a happy Sunday. I'm finally getting some down time over here.