Friday, October 18, 2019

Post Processing

I process/edit my photos, sometimes a little, sometimes quite a bit. For one thing you almost have to do process further if you shoot in RAW. Think of it as something akin to needing to turn an old-fashioned negative into a print. It's not that dramatic, but RAW images lack contrast and sharpening and so on. They are not equivalent to a processed jpeg image where the software in your camera or phone has made many assumptions and adjustments and handed them to you. In doing so, it also throws away much of the original data.

Normally however, I don't do much photoshopping in the way that people mean it. I don't generally add elements or move them from one part of the photo to another. I will sometimes remove distractions such wires if I feel so compelled but, certainly, not always. And most of the time I try to make an image that is in some dot of basic harmony with the what I saw when I pressed the shutter.

But I do photoshop sometimes. This, below, was a quick photo for a group on Flickr that posts trucks. I couldn't pass it by, but the light was harsh with much contrast, and the sky was blank.


So, I just cropped it a bit to eliminate much of the blank sky and then applied a few filters to tone down the contrast and even make it look a little bit vintage. So this was a little more than general tweaking of things such as lifting the shadows or nudging the exposure up or dawn, but it's not off the wall editing either. This is a matter of taste, of course, and my taste may be at odds with others.


I really photoshopped this next image, not so much the basic image itself, for I did very little to that, but I did think the flower deserved a better background, and while I was at it, I removed some of the extraneous elements.



In my opinion, the original shot was photographed well enough, so that it required very little processing, but the background and other elements that detracted from the beauty of the flower. To me, it's something like matting and framing a photo, any photo; it just looks better.

I may return to this theme at another time.

10 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Great editing of the photos, AC.

Barbara Rogers said...

I have beginning cataracts, so don't fool around with red colors too much these days*...as I have had discussions with those who have had them removed as to what they see now. So though my first impression is that I like the originals which weren't as red toned, I'm aware that I probably can't see what's really there at all any more. *(except painting huge poppies on ceramics a la O'Keeffe!)

Mage said...

So glad you can get out further now. I'm really enjoying everything you shoot.

William Kendall said...

Beautifully done.

Joanne Noragon said...

You did a fine job on that "old" truck.

A Cuban In London said...

A beautiful fiery red in your photos. Thanks.

Greetings from London.

Mara said...

At least the flibberty bit at the bottom left is gone, which was distracting from the flower itself quite a bit. I am always annoyed when something like that happens.
I might have to learn how to photo shop a bit, as some of my Rome photos would definitely be better with some work done to it (mainly removing of people).

Vicki Lane said...

A great example of how fiddling with photos can improve them!

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

As you know AC my husband was a professional photographer. He died in 1990 and would be amazed at all the things that are done to photos now. You have a real eye for it too and I love that it's fun for you.

Jenn Jilks said...

These are marvellous! So pleasing.