Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Photoshopping Autumn

Sometimes Photoshop is handy. You may recall that I posted this photo yesterday.


I liked it, but it wasn't quite there if you know what I mean.

So I decided to straighten the flower and embiggen (I like that word) it a little. A quick trip to Photoshop enabled me to do just that.


While it's not much different, I like it better with this slight adjustment. I might even consider it print-worthy although I probably won't actually do that.

I am not necessarily a fan of big manipulations in Photoshop, but I think little adjustments are fine. In the case of this ↑ photo, I had trouble getting my reluctant body to the correct angle in the first place, but I always visualized the concept.

FB notified me yesterday of this post of an autumn ramble way back in 2012. Since we are already past that time, and we haven't yet had a major ramble, I despair a little of getting any similarly good photos this year.

In my galleries in the past, I have printed and displayed the first and last photos of that post and filled-in the sky space in the second photo to make a complete arch. Once again, a slight Photoshop modification improved the photo. The thing is that a landscape photographer cannot totally control conditions like a portrait photographer does with their studio setups, so some modification, whether great or small, is sometimes appropriate.

Here is that photo of which I speak, both the original and the modified versions. I think you will agree that filling-in the sky portion improves the photo in the second photo below. I did some other editing too — both brightening and saturating to suit my taste. The edited version is the actual memory or impression that I have from that excursion all those years ago. Cameras never capture exactly what you see anyway although they sometimes come close.

The Original

Edited Version

8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

It is a spectacular photo either way, AC.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The edited version is quite dramatic in that there are such bursts of color where the sky was before. I do like it better.

Jenn Jilks said...

I like the embiggening, as well as the embrightening!

Mara said...

I like the edited version, because it doesn't look as if it shouldn't be like that.
The first subject would look great printed, but with the subject in a corner and the rest just the colour it is now. More dramatic than the flower in the middle.

William Kendall said...

I do like the edited version too.

Joanne Noragon said...

The deep saturation is really good. The greens are more distinguished.

Barbara Rogers said...

Last photo kind of switches the focal interest down...good idea, but I wish you had kept the branches that reached across the top, rather than just blurring the sky-filler. If I hadn't seen the original however, it would have been totally satisfying.

Mage said...

Simply marvelous.