Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Red Maple Leaves . . . Mostly

My goodness! Three days without posting after coming at you day after day, sometimes twice a day.

Actually, I got a little tired of it, photography, I mean. I've had more than one opportunity to a photograph a local event, but I abstained. And Jonathan's hockey has begun again, but I have chosen to sit through two games already. In the stands. No photography.

But I have updated my two local print displays recently, and Simon, the owner of one of my display venues asked for a specific photo: a print of a red maple leaf to send to his ailing Dad back in England. This would have some sentimental value for his father who took a red maple leaf back to England after one visit.

BTW, just in passing, I will also note that I sold, from Simon's place, a photo of our town hall.  It was then presented to the South Korean ambassador on his visit to Carleton Place last week, I'm sure that it will go directly into storage, or worse, but it still pleases me.

It was this one.


Back to Simon's red leaf request. I ambled around the park on Sunday morning and took a few shots. I liked both of these, especially the first one.



However, the image that he had in mind was of a single maple leaf.

What I decided to do was to extract the main leaf of the first photo, above, and put it on a plain background. I also flipped it so that it was pointing up and not down, the way it was hanging on the branch.


I like the original more, but this was closer to what Simon had envisaged, so I printed it for him. Strangely enough, I have another photo of red maples hanging somewhere in England. This photo was taken at the same park a number of years ago. A friend of Sue's took it to England when she visited her daughter. I once saw a picture of it hanging in the daughter's pub.


In passing, I will post one other maple leaf photo. It was on the ground, and I like seeing the shadow of the grass behind the backlit leaf. While I don't consider it a candidate for printing, I like the image well enough.


10 comments:

Barbara Rogers said...

Speaking for myself, I am glad to see you taking new and beautiful photos...please don't stop! Your eyes are well trained, as well as your editing skills which can't be duplicated by those of us who appreciate the end results but don't have your talents!

Mara said...

That first one was my favourite as well, but I felt the image was wrong, like a flag upside down. You seemed to have the same idea and flipped it over! Not too sure about the black background. It seems so stark and empty.

Marcia said...

Are those actual colors or enhanced? Such a red!

Vicki Lane said...

What fun to have your photos traveling! The maple leaf shots are gorgeous!

Christina said...

Simon will love this print! It is beautiful. I would love to see red maple leaves in our woods. The varieties here all turn yellow, sometimes with a smidge of orange.

Marie Smith said...

I love that second maple photo but all are beautiful. Congratulations on the sale of your photos!

William Kendall said...

These are splendid shots. I'm still taking fall shots, which will go into November.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

My vote today goes to the last one photo of the maple leaf with the sun lighting up the blades of grass. Congrats on the recent photo sale. I can understand your comment that it might end up in a closet. Years ago I gave a small framed print to someone as a gift and then found it in a local thrift store.

Kay said...

Ahhhh.... very Canadian. :- )

Jenn Jilks said...

Nicely done!
Until I get my cataracts done... I'm just pointing and shooting.