Monday, October 28, 2019

Checking In With Random Blatherings

Checking in with random blatherings after several silent days.

It is not even 10AM,and I have already had a semi nap. By that I mean that I closed my eyes for a half hour, and I possibly drifted off for a few minutes within that time.

It's a cold, you see. And what a cold! And so early in the season too. A humdinger of a cold. A cold that drains the energy and necessitates bouts of rest.

For a few years I prided myself in hardly being sick at all. Finally, late last winter, I was hit. And now I have succumbed early this season, and it isn't even winter yet.

The flu shots seem to be late in arriving this year. I wonder if I might have missed the cold if the serum had arrived earlier?

Sue has been spared. Proof that we haven't been kissing.

You try to figure out where you might have picked up the cold germ, but it is a bit of a fool's errand as a cold can take anywhere from 1 to 3 days to incubate. So you can't really narrow it down.

Some seniors residences are in lock-down, but so far Shauna's home in Perth has been spared. That is  a bit of a blessing since they are still in their startup phase and learning how to sail the ship smoothly, so they don't need additional issues with which to deal.

Obviously, there are no pictures to post as I have been housebound. And with winter coming, I wonder how many I will find to post for the next 6 months.

Speaking of winter, last October on the very day, the 28th, we had out first snowfall. This is one of the photos from that day.



It was the beginning of a long winter.

This year we haven't even turned the furnace on yet. Not that it has been exactly tropical, but it has been bearable. At present it is 10C/50F outside and will rise to 15C/60F. That may seem cold to you, but it is close to 19C/66F in the house, which is bearable with the assistance of a good sweater.

I hope those Fahrenheit conversions, above, are correct because I can't access the online conversion calculator that I use. So, I am using a formula which I think is correct: F=C*9/5+32.

I don't know exactly why we play the furnace game every October. I think we want to stave off winter for as long as possible, for it is a very long season in Canada.

I am pretty sure that we've never made it all of the way through October without  caving, but perhaps we'll make it this year.  We've only 3 days remaining, but in the final 2 days, the temperature will only rise to 10C/50F.

We live in a townhouse with only 2+ walls exposed. Perhaps the neighbours have their heat on and are insulating us a bit.

How can it be 2+ walls and not exactly 2, you ask? Well, because our townhouse is bigger than the two on either side of us, so the 2 shared walls are, indeed, only partly shared.

Getting back to the calculator site and the internet in general this morning, it is very weird and something that I haven't seen before. Some sites such as this and FB are fine, but others such a Twit and the calculator aren't loading at all. This is very strange. You'd have to think that our internet would either be all down or all up. Strange.

And that is me checking in with random blatherings. Aren't you sorry you clicked? Don't you wish that Blogger was also inaccessible for me too today?




16 comments:

Goldendaze-Ginnie said...

I think that's the wordiest (is that a word?) post that I've ever read from you. I loved the last years picture. Also I do the same thing and try to just live without that blasted air conditioner or heat turned on...for as long as I can.

PipeTobacco said...

AC:

I too noticed VERY odd Internet behavior this morning.... some sites like you say, were "OFF" and others were "ON". I have to wonder if perhaps there was some sort of infrastructure issue going on somewhere that affected us in our region (I believe we are relatively close [Midwest/Eastern US] and [Southern Eastern Canada] I think.). Who knows what may be causing it though.

I am sorry you are experiencing a cold..... anytime, but especially this early. As you know, my wife has been having a rough time with pneumonia, so be careful... a cold can sometimes progress in that direction. I too have been wondering about the flu shots this year as I have not gotten my own yet.... nor seen them in the usual places I do.

PipeTobacco

Christina said...

My internet has been behaving, so glad because I am working from home. I had my flu shot today. I don't think you would have avoided the cold if you had yours already, different viruses. Fingers crossed you get your shot soon. The school vaccinations have been delayed due to vaccination delivery delays but I am good. We've had the heating on since our return from Turkey last week... It was the morning cold that really made us cave in.

Christina said...

P.S. I hope you feel better soon

Marie Smith said...

I always get colds from the grandkids. Prior to their arrival, after we retired from teaching, my husband and I were cold/flu free. The kids get over the colds quickly. Mine last at least twice as long. Feel better soon.

Vicki Lane said...

Sorry about the cold. I went for years without having one but now my granddaughter brings them to me.

Shammickite said...

I remember that October snowfall of 2018. The snow fell before the leaves had all been raked up, exposing a very messy splodge of half rotted slimy slippery leaves everywhere in the spring.
Gonna get a flu shot this week.

William Kendall said...

Drink tea and get your rest.

Barbara Rogers said...

good to hear from you, and you are welcome to ramble away while healing! Colds can be such a pain. I get very few, cause I'm already dealing with lung issues, and allergies, and asthma, and so on. Hope you feel chipper again soon. Any old photos are always welcome!

Joanne Noragon said...

Actually, I really wish you were well. Soon.

Kay said...

I'm afraid the flu shot wouldn't have prevented you from catching a cold. I always got a flu shot when I was teaching and still caught a cold in spring and fall.

I read some study a long while ago that you probably won't catch a cold from kissing. I find that hard to believe. I wonder if they had another study to disprove that.

The Liberty Belle said...

I hope you feel better soon.

MARY G said...

Sympathy about the cold. I am just recovering from my first in several years. And no idea where I got it.
I had forgotten last year's snow - and your fine photos.

Thickethouse.wordpress said...

Rest and recover. So sorry you had such a humdinger of a cold....I've had my flu shot but it took some time and several phone calls because we had a manufacturer's slow down this year. I need the high dose for seniors and it was nowhere to be found and when deliveries were available they were only small numbers. I don't know if Canada would be affected by this.

Mage said...

Nope, glad you are here.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sorry to read that the cold/flu season has hit you hard already, AC. Here in the U.S.lots of pharmacies and even grocery stores were announcing availability of the flue vaccine as far back as a month ago. I did get one and also did so last season. Luckily (or not), my only misery was a head cold which caused lots of sniffling and headache. Yikes, snow in Oct! here the situation is a lot of ☔️ which has caused the city of Nashua, NH to postpone trick treating until Sat. Hope you feel better soon.